• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Holiday Homes

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Holiday Homes"

Collapse

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    We’re talking about a jetty here not Brighton pier FFS, .
    I bet by the time that the local council have got involved, there isn't much change from 500 grand

tim
    Last edited by tim123; 21 January 2009, 20:02.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    We’re talking about a jetty here not Brighton pier FFS
    They could probably pick this one up cheap.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    What an ill-considered, ill-informed, inaccurate, ignorant, stupid, fatuous, idiotic and pointless remark.
    perfect for cuk then.....

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123 View Post
    Whilst I can't support the views of incomers, I have to question the economics of this.

They apparently land a massive 1 million pounds of fish a year, well big deal! How much is this jetty going to cost for such a piddly amount of business? Are the fishermen going to pay to use the jetty or will the (council) tax payer be picking up the bill for their convenience?

tim
    We’re talking about a jetty here not Brighton pier FFS, where do you think Rick Stein gets his crabs? It’s a sign of the times when £1m is considered ‘piddly’.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Whilst I can't support the views of incomers, I have to question the economics of this.

They apparently land a massive 1 million pounds of fish a year, well big deal! How much is this jetty going to cost for such a piddly amount of business? Are the fishermen going to pay to use the jetty or will the (council) tax payer be picking up the bill for their convenience?

tim

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by crimdon View Post
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7842209.stm

These people contribute nothing to the local community and I feel their views shouldn't count for much at all.
    Agreed.
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Emmets.
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    Grockles
    It was the liberal use of these terms (and the connected anti-English racism) that stopped me holidaying in Devon and Cornwall. I won't be rushing back.

Originally posted by expat View Post
    I loved the 2nd-homer that they found to interview:

Do I like people who ask themselves their own questions so that they can give the answers they want? No, I do not.

Does this guy sound like a twat? Yes he does.

Has he helped me to form my own opinion here? Yes, he has.
    Agreed.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    BBC at it's left wing, green eyed, envious best.
    What an ill-considered, ill-informed, inaccurate, ignorant, stupid, fatuous, idiotic and pointless remark.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    One of them has his friends down in the summer to play Croquet on on the village green and stuff their faces with Waitrose foie gras 'without the cruelty' and quaff inferior champagne.

Tut
    You live nextdoor to John Prescott? You poor fellow.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    How much is a holiday home in Swindon?
    Do you want sea views?

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    What a well balanced piece of journalism that little gem is.

How much is a holiday home in Swindon?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by crimdon View Post
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7842209.stm

These people contribute nothing to the local community and I feel their views shouldn't count for much at all.
    What a well balanced piece of journalism that little gem is.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Pah, fishing what kind of pathetic industry is that compared to betting on the value of things!
    Lots of 2nd home owners in my village. Mostly somethings in the city. Mostly twats.

One of them has his friends down in the summer to play Croquet on on the village green and stuff their faces with Waitrose foie gras 'without the cruelty' and quaff inferior champagne.

Tut

Leave a comment:

• crimdon
    replied
    Originally posted by Solidec View Post
    Locals should just vandalize these second homes, I hate these rich twunts who are hellbent on destroying communities so they can have their 1 week a year retreat to the country.

Legitimate holiday rentals or time shares are probably OK as they woudl afford a steady stream of visitors through the year, but homes left empty for 46 weeks of the eyar is just ludicrous and the owners should NOT have a say, or else if they want a say, they should pay ALL local taxes, including council tax and every thing else.
    Local taxes are just part of the problem. They also force local shops and pubs to close because there is nobody there midweek to use them. Paying extra taxes to compensate the local community would be more fair.

Though a pertol bomb through the window midweek would probably be the best short term solution...

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I'm looking to buy a holiday home when all this doomed crap dies down.

My family had one for years and it was used about 20 weeks out of the year

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Pah, fishing what kind of pathetic industry is that compared to betting on the value of things!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X