• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Anyone been to...

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone been to..."

Collapse

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    Jersey was fine even with a toddler - for a couple of days or so. Note the restaruants open / close at certain times so if toddler is hungry at the wrong time you need some snacks handy!

Also time your flights accordingly, I remember arriving at lunch time on a Sunday with a toddler and by the time we drove to the hotel there was nothing open and we had to wait 'til 4:30pm for anything to eat.
    God! Why bother?

If it was a choice between Jersey and Portugal you'd have to be senile to go to Jersey. It's the dullest place offshore of the UK mainland - except for the Isle of Man (shudder).

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Minorca
    Atlantic coast of Portugal
    Jersey
    Scilly Isles

Places I've not holidayed to and was wondering what they are like for a summer holiday?

Can't travel far have a toddler now.
    Jersey was fine even with a toddler - for a couple of days or so. Note the restaruants open / close at certain times so if toddler is hungry at the wrong time you need some snacks handy!

Also time your flights accordingly, I remember arriving at lunch time on a Sunday with a toddler and by the time we drove to the hotel there was nothing open and we had to wait 'til 4:30pm for anything to eat.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Whatever you do, don't go to Centre Park. I saw a discussion on some other forum, and apparently it's a complete rip off. Everything costs extra, over and above the basic accomodation costs, and you end up in effect spending a week in surroundings like a former Stasi prison camp at vast expense.
    Been there done that. A week in a conservatory in Wiltshire for the price of an all inclusive in the Bahamas.

Hmmm.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Whatever you do, don't go to Centre Park. I saw a discussion on some other forum, and apparently it's a complete rip off. Everything costs extra, over and above the basic accomodation costs, and you end up in effect spending a week in surroundings like a former Stasi prison camp at vast expense.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Thankfully you're a genetic cul-de-sac

Admin, could we please change Sas's tag from 'Better than AtW' to 'Genetic Cul-de-sac' immediately?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    You're breeding? Lor 'elp us.
    Thankfully you're a genetic cul-de-sac

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I used to live in Penzance as a child, we used to sail to the Scilly's in the summer on a small yacht. They are very beautiful and there are quite a bunch of islands you can visit, but I'm not sure it would be quite as good without your own boat... one evening we sailed to an uninhabited island, anchored off the beach and went ashore for a barbecue. All the day-trip boats had stopped so we were literally the only people on the island.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    And me, I've told my family we're going to 'The Jurassic Coast' this year.
    Crafty! and the Dorset coast west of Swanage is great for kids - plenty of rock pools to explore.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by thelace View Post
    Minorca

The people over there love the kiddies, especially the toddlers. Be prepared for the waiters to make a big fuss of them in the restaurants, especially if they're Blonde....

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    how about this?This is a bit inland, in the stunning Caramulo mountains. No jobs anywhere near, but an ideal place to sit out the recession if you have some savings.

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    Can you afford it nowadays with the pound being on the floor?

Leave a comment:

• thelace
    replied
    Minorca

The people over there love the kiddies, especially the toddlers. Be prepared for the waiters to make a big fuss of them in the restaurants, especially if they're Blonde.

The beaches are all pretty much child friendly, shallow bays, no big rollers, that sorta thing.

Don't go where the Brits go, get yourself a villa out in the sticks. Nowhere is more that 20 minutes away if you go central.

We go regularly and last time we stayed in a place like Southfork Ranch. Massive, very quiet, very local.... 2 weeks of chilled out heaven.

Avoid Jersey like the plague. Used to be lovely, but now it's been engineered to bore you silly and rip the money out of your wallet. (The Gold Centre, The Peal Centre, The... etc).

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    I'm just debating taking a 3.5 and a 1.5 year old to Oz for a month or so

It was my idea and I've now backtracked but the Mrs thinks it will be fun

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    Minorca....... soooo sooooo boring.

I hated it
    OK, on reflaction forget my earlier post, it's tulip even if you have kids.

The worst part is the grub, the same bland menu at every single place, they haven't worked out that some Brits atleast don't want everything to taste of nothing whatsoever !

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    And me, I've told my family we're going to 'The Jurassic Coast' this year.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X