• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I've come to the conclusion that"

Collapse

• ace00
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    ....specifix ....
    I like that - can we make it a word? Specifix, specifixate, specifixation - nb. to be a lover, to love or otherwise desire a wearer of glasses.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    One of my primary reasons for becoming a contractor was my very low boredom threshold - doing the same job for too long just drives me mental. Well, there's that plus the cash

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    An average contractor probably has about 12 weeks worth of experience with the system they are working on, the average permie has about 12 months. The contractors are always on the steeper part of the learning curve.
    That specifix system, yes: but the contractor has probably seen 4 or more other similar systems, and learned from them.

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    You ain't seen me, right?
    Suit you, sir.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    An average contractor probably has about 12 weeks worth of experience with the system they are working on, the average permie has about 12 months. The contractors are always on the steeper part of the learning curve.

I would say that I always leave a gig knowing more than the permies.I always always leave a gig knowing why the system is a complete mess where as the permies never have the ability to do that. They can only see the way to do new work as the way it has been done previously.

Although I have seen some tulip contractors in my time.
    You ain't seen me, right?

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied

I would say that I always leave a gig knowing more than the permies.I always always leave a gig knowing why the system is a complete mess where as the permies never have the ability to do that. They can only see the way to do new work as the way it has been done previously.

Although I have seen some tulip contractors in my time.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Is it coz you looked in the mirror, innit?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    There are a lot of very thick people that become IT Contractors.

Is it because they can't hold down a proper job?
    Is it coz you looked in the mirror, innit?

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    There are a lot of very thick people that become IT Contractors.

Is it because they can't hold down a proper job?
    I prefer to take the view that a lot of us must be very bright because we've realised we don't actually need to do a "proper job" to earn good money.

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Half a Dinari?!

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Not immediately, no, but the years of corporate bulltulip, piss poor management, politically motivated appraisals and constant coffee machine whingeing will take their toll on your brain and leave you as a zombie, bereft of the creativity, self confidence, dignity and idealism that you once (possibly) had.

It’s a slow, steady process that happens without you noticing it but invariably leads to a crippling sclerosis of the cerebellum, and just as your dependence on the drug of a regular salary reaches the darkest recesses of your soul, they’ll make you redundant and all you’ll have left is a P45.
    Does the following have any bearing on that sentiment:

1) I conduct appraisals as opposed to being appraised
    2) I make more now than I ever did as a contractor
    3) I view it like a long-term contract

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Not immediately, no, but the years of corporate bulltulip, piss poor management, politically motivated appraisals and constant coffee machine whingeing will take their toll on your brain and leave you as a zombie, bereft of the creativity, self confidence, dignity and idealism that you once (possibly) had.

It’s a slow, steady process that happens without you noticing it but invariably leads to a crippling sclerosis of the cerebellum, and just as your dependence on the drug of a regular salary reaches the darkest recesses of your soul, they’ll make you redundant and all you’ll have left is a P45.
    I'm not planning on hanging around that long. Definately a port in a storm till the market picks up again.

Leave a comment:

• FSM with Cheddar
    replied

WHS

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    Having gone permie does that make me thicker?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    *rings bell*

Spare a shekle for an old ex leper sir?
    I love them Goodies sketches.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X