• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Climate Change

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Climate Change"

Collapse

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Are people blind, stupid, gullible or all seven of these things?
    We have just had almost 12 consecutive years of NL leadership. What do you think?

I wonder if it would be possible to find just one pro GW "expert" that was happy that he had all the findings he needed to confidently proclaim that man is the major cause of GW? I have no doubt that we could find many that will happily attest to the fact that much more investigation(i.e. taxpayer funding) is required. Bunch of quacks most of them. The really depressing thing is that they have the support of politicians that see it as a golden goose for taxation purposes. Cut back on all carbon emmissions..........but build a 3rd runway at Heathrow!!!
    Cue sasguru with more selective stats and computer modelling codswallop!!

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by ace00 View Post
    Interesting graph from NOAA (genrally considered to be a bit pro-warming):
    http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories...08natltemp.png
    Interesting because you'll notice that up until 1985 the temperature trend was largely under average, and also to see the massive drop off we are experiencing currently.

The fact that we are basing our whole future on the temp over such a tiny timescale shows how flawed the whole Climate Change bollux is.

Most of that graph is flat a bit of warming in the last few years and now rapid cooling, and yet it is accepted knowledge that the world is heating up.

WTF?

Are people blind, stupid, gullible or all seven of these things?

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    Interesting graph from NOAA (genrally considered to be a bit pro-warming):
    http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories...08natltemp.png
    Interesting because you'll notice that up until 1985 the temperature trend was largely under average, and also to see the massive drop off we are experiencing currently.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    No, the whole basis of C02 increase is "The Greenhouse Effect". Are greenhouses hotter inside or colder? Deary me.
    The "Greenhouse Effect" is not really how greenhouses work.

The "Greenhouse Effict" is when IR radiation passes through a barrier that is more or less transparent to it (like glass, or the Earth's atmosphere), and is absorbed by matter on the other side (like earth), then this energy is re-radiated but in the form of IR of a longer wavelength, to which the surrounding barrier is opaque: thus the energy does not escape. It goes in but it does not come back out again.

This effect really does happen, both in a green house and in the Earth; but in the case of a greenhouse it happens not to be the main reason why a greenhouse works: the main reason is the shelter from wind that it provides.

I just thought you'd like to know that

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    When we breathe out we expel carbon dioxide if I remember correctly. Most governments now want to introduce taxation to penalise the production of this gas. Essentially we are being stealthily taxed for breathing. Which I suspect was the real aim of politicians all along!!

You will be fitted with a meter. It's only small and everyone's getting one (apart from politicians of course. And the police. And the public sector) so it's only fair. You will accept it eventually. Anyone who does not accept will be inspected and interred without charge as a terrorism prevention measure.

New Labour - It's only fair.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    No, the whole basis of C02 increase is "The Greenhouse Effect". Are greenhouses hotter inside or colder? Deary me.
    The greenhouse in your garden is a simple glass box full of trapped air which traps heat. Hardly scientific to use this as a model for the whole worlld, it's the most complex analogy they could get away with for school children & Sun readers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_i...tic_ice_growth

The ice is back and thicker than ever.
    For one year or several? Got a graph over several years?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    When we breathe out we expel carbon dioxide if I remember correctly. Most governments now want to introduce taxation to penalise the production of this gas. Essentially we are being stealthily taxed for breathing. Which I suspect was the real aim of politicians all along!!
    If it stops sasguru, it was worth it.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• FSM with Cheddar
    replied

Luckily we didn't listen and it's been bloody freezing globally.
    Didn't I just say stop talking about it?

And that includes me.

Who's still talking.

Wait that's me.

Shhhh

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    I notice you have a new .sig there, Prawn

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Bigoted views

Originally posted by FSM with Cheddar View Post
    P.S Can we shut up already about climate change. There are too many bigoted views, which will never change. Why don't we talk about the weather instead. Wait No....
    The warnings about global warming have been extremely clear for a long time. We are facing a global climate crisis. It is deepening. We are entering a period of consequences.

AL GORE, speech at National Sierra Club Convention, Sept. 9, 2005

The good news is we know what to do. The good news is, we have everything we need now to respond to the challenge of global warming. We have all the technologies we need, more are being developed, and as they become available and become more affordable when produced in scale, they will make it easier to respond. But we should not wait, we cannot wait, we must not wait.

AL GORE, speech at National Sierra Club Convention, Sept. 9, 2005

Luckily we didn't listen and it's been bloody freezing globally.

Leave a comment:

• FSM with Cheddar
    replied
    Originally posted by Solidec View Post
    Yes which is why I believe the planet is overpopulated with Homo-Sapiens

Earth needs a Human population hovering around 3-4billion, not 6billion.
    99% of all species that ever existed are extinct.

Natural selection will deal with us in exactly the same way as the rest.

P.S Can we shut up already about climate change. There are too many bigoted views, which will never change. Why don't we talk about the weather instead. Wait No....
    Last edited by FSM with Cheddar; 16 January 2009, 10:39. Reason: clarification

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Saying "more CO2 has to increase temperature" is too simplistic, there are many models suggesting it can cause the opposite and I'm sure some are at least scientifically sound. Isn't the problem that most models need lots of assumptions about stuff that can't be measured, if these values change slightly the model predictions change a lot?

Anyway, isn't it measurable that polar ice is disappearing? Fine maybe that's natural, but in that case isn't it proof temperatures are rising? I don't think you put a good argument against GW/CT if you try to disprove every single claim about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_i...tic_ice_growth

The ice is back and thicker than ever.

Where have you been? Still watcing Al Gores outdated pack of lies.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Saying "more CO2 has to increase temperature" is too simplistic, there are many models suggesting it can cause the opposite and I'm sure some are at least scientifically sound. Isn't the problem that most models need lots of assumptions about stuff that can't be measured, if these values change slightly the model predictions change a lot?

Anyway, isn't it measurable that polar ice is disappearing? Fine maybe that's natural, but in that case isn't it proof temperatures are rising? I don't think you put a good argument against GW/CT if you try to disprove every single claim about it.

Leave a comment:

• Solidec
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Climate change is a problem of human population, not specifically CO2.
    Yes which is why I believe the planet is overpopulated with Homo-Sapiens

Earth needs a Human population hovering around 3-4billion, not 6billion.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X