• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "House prices to fall 80%"

Collapse

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    The UK is not at all short of land to build new houses on. It is rather short of land that you are allowed to build houses on.
    That depends on how long it takes to build and how many immigrants come in. Don't forget the thousands of immigrant builders who need to come in to do the building 'cos there aint enough here! Also with the ageing population people are living longer so families have to wait longer to buy a half decent house as there are not enough people moving out of half decent houses.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    So by the time it is over will we have had the biggest boom and bust ever?

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I still think the UK will fall by 50% from Aug 2007 to Aug 2010.
    I think you're probably right and I'm not unhappy about it despite being a homeowner myself with a small mortgage. A sizable correction has been needed and on the cards for years it's only been the wild availability of massive mortgages that's fueled the gigantic prices (no news to anyone here).

Leave a comment:

• xux42
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    surely the huge housing shortage that the UK has been facing for almost 10 years now will keep prices up and even rising??
    Errm... You really need to have a look at the forums on www.housepricecrash.co.uk

Mind you, given your comment I recommend that you pour yourself a stiff drink and make sure you are sitting down first. We are facing a financial crisis of vast proportions - house prices are a sideshow, well for the time being anyway. Employment and food and energy prices are will be bigger issues for most people in 2009.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I still think the UK will fall by 50% from Aug 2007 to Aug 2010.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    The UK is not at all short of land to build new houses on. It is rather short of land that you are allowed to build houses on.
    Well yes I thought that was implied.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Isn't LAND to build new houses what the UK is short of, compared to most other countries? Don't know if that has a knock-on effect on pushing up house prices, I suppose if ALL available land was built on then it would do.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Not that much different from the UK to be honest.

The price of houses in the UK has been out of rational proportion to incomes for the better part of a decade.
    There are pockets in the UK where, even in 2007, you could buy an acceptable 2 bed property, in a "safe" area, for 60K.

You can't do that anywhere in Ireland as far as I could tell.

tim
    Last edited by tim123; 13 January 2009, 18:32.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    If nobody can get a mortgage then house prices will fall to the levels of savings people have in the bank. Which means in NL the average house will cost around 10,000 euros, in Germany about 15000 and in Britain you’ll have to pay people to take your house off you.
    Unless "nobody can get a mortgage" really means that fewer people are getting mortgages approved: curiously, just enough fewer that the number of buyers equals the number of sellers.....

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    I also predict that prices WILL NOT fall 80% in the UK.
    how about 79.9%?

Leave a comment:

• Flashman
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123 View Post
    The price of houses in Ireland got silly.

You go to a small town, with no jobs, no particular tourist interest, 4 hours from Dublin and a poxy little (OK reasonable sized) 2 bed apartment costs 300K (Euro),

It's nuts.

tim
    Yeah, heard the same sort of thing from a friend living in Cork. If you thought the British property market was mad, the Irish was utterly nuts.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied

You go to a small town, with no jobs, no particular tourist interest, 4 hours from Dublin and a poxy little (OK reasonable sized) 2 bed apartment costs 300K (Euro),

It's nuts.

tim
    Not that much different from the UK to be honest.

The price of houses in the UK has been out of rational proportion to incomes for the better part of a decade.

Leave a comment:

• contractor79
    replied

It's nuts.

tim
    or is that what it will cost for the Brits... ;-)

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

It's nuts.

tim

Leave a comment:

• contractor79
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Lots of holiday homes as well used for a couple of weeks a year by City types and empty the rest of the year. Locals just love it.
    yes. such a hideous thing to do with one's money, why can't they just put their money in other things and pay hotel bills the greedy mean gits, just go camping or get a caravan

Leave a comment:

Working...
X