• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Dangerous coding errors revealed"

Collapse

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123 View Post
    Wot!

Who the **** are they using as programmers, 12 year olds?

tim
    What do you mean? This is an analysis of security vulnerabilities found in the wild, not mistakes the NSA have made.

FWIW I found one of these errors (script injection vulnerability, to be precise) just before Christmas, on a prominent website owned by a well-known web entrepeneur, with people whose names I recognise as highly experienced programmers on the development team.

The same vulnerability has, at various times, affected Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, American Express, and just about every other well-known company you can think of.

Even the best developers can slip up and let one of these mistakes through.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    Open Season on Programmers...the new Terrorists....

The US National Security Agency has helped put together a list of the world's most dangerous coding mistakes.

The 25 entry list contains errors that can lead to security holes or vulnerable areas that can be targeted by cyber criminals.

Experts say many of these errors are not well understood by programmers.
    Wot!

Who the **** are they using as programmers, 12 year olds?

tim

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    delete * from trade

- not a good one to try in a sql session you have kicking around thinking its a dev database, and finding out, ooh about 43 seconds later, that it wasn't

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    One of the biggest howlers, which many OS coders don't really understand, is failing to weaken pointers passed inside structures to core functions. If you find an example of that (and it's easy to test a function call), the whole OS is wide open.

The hardware automatically weakens pointers in the argument list when the call crosses from the user address space into the shared core address space. But there's no way it can know to delve into structures those pointers reference.

Outfits like the NSA probably keep quiet about this, as *they* exploit those weaknesses as back doors.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    More than 30 organisations, including the US National Security Agency, the Department of Homeland Security, Microsoft, and Symantec published the document. THE TOP 25 MOST DANGEROUS PROGRAMMING ERRORS
    CWE-20:Improper Input Validation
    CWE-116:Improper Encoding or Escaping of Output
    CWE-89:Failure to Preserve SQL Query Structure
    Probably not COBOL, PL/1, Assembler, etc. but only those new fangled kiddie script languages

Leave a comment:

• bored
    replied
    Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post
    Well, even then it doesn't quite fit as one of the top 25 would be running windows as the OS and server the website was running on.
    There are plenty of websites that run Windows and are quite secure. Also, there are plenty of websites that run on LAMP and are hacked regularly. So no, the choice of Windows vs Linux has no place in that list (and besides, it's not a coding issue).

Leave a comment:

• Purple Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by bored View Post
    A more proper name for the list would be "top 25 coding errors that can lead to security problems in a website" - from the article:
    Well, even then it doesn't quite fit as one of the top 25 would be running windows as the OS and server the website was running on.

Leave a comment:

• bored
    replied
    A more proper name for the list would be "top 25 coding errors that can lead to security problems in a website". But it wouldn't make such a good headline would it?

From the article:

The US National Security Agency has helped put together a list of the world's most dangerous coding mistakes.

The 25 entry list contains errors that can lead to security holes or vulnerable areas that can be targeted by cyber criminals.
    Last edited by bored; 13 January 2009, 14:11.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post
    I think this list starts to make sense if you are a Web front end serving up something like jsp pages (not Jackson structured programming).

For the real programming that real men do it doesn't make much sense.

Typical Yanks, all they're bothered about is putting up a good front...
    Is it what happens when some kid from an Accidenture training course uses a 4GL to produce undecipherable spaghetti without actually checking the code to see if it’s any use?

Leave a comment:

• Purple Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    WTF does "CWE-94:Failure to Control Generation of Code" actually mean.
    I think this list starts to make sense if you are a Web front end serving up something like jsp pages (not Jackson structured programming).

For the real programming that real men do it doesn't make much sense.

Typical Yanks, all they're bothered about is putting up a good front...

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Where are

‘CWE-1: Outsource coding to Bob Shawadiwadi’
    and
    ‘CWE-2: Outsource functional testing to his brother Bill Shawadiwadi’?
    CWE-3: Outsource documentation to Randy Shawadiwadi

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Where are

‘CWE-1: Outsource coding to Bob Shawadiwadi’
    and
    ‘CWE-2: Outsource functional testing to his brother Bill Shawadiwadi’?

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Originally posted by bored View Post
    Saw this at my latest client:

Code:
    try {
        //do stuff
    } catch (Throwable t) {
    }
    The try/catch block was at the outermost level in a servlet, i.e. the "do stuff" bit included the whole processing of the HTTP request.
    Still, keeps us in a job eh?

Leave a comment:

• bored
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    I found this in the source code of client:

try
    {

//do stuff
    } catch (OutOfMemoryError oome)
    {}

Saw this at my latest client:

Code:
    try {
        //do stuff
    } catch (Throwable t) {
    }
    The try/catch block was at the outermost level in a servlet, i.e. the "do stuff" bit included the whole processing of the HTTP request.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    WTF does "CWE-94:Failure to Control Generation of Code" actually mean.

You turn your back for 10 minutes and the CVS repository has doubled in size? Those one million monkeys you hired last week are writing too much code ?

Anyway I have seen so much crap code now that I am beyond caring. If people want their web system to write to flat files I really could not give a flying one these days.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X