• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Ronaldo’s tunnel crash….."

Collapse

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Ravello View Post
    Agreed, and I didn't realise Hamilton didn't drive a 'fast' car on the public roads.. However, the point that I was making is that surely the benefit of age, when discussing driving and associated insurance, is that of experience? Hence my point in my previous post regarding the experience of an average 30 y.o.
    Yes, but also keeping a good driving record for several years is an indicator (only one indicator) of whether someone is likely to act responsibly with a high powered car. You have to admit also that age has an effect on most people's behaviour. Looking back if I'd had a Ferrari at 23 I'd probably have been a danger to everyone on the road simply because I thought I was indestructible and that my reactions were brilliant. By 30, I'd changed my ways and started to take a more sensible approach to driving.

Leave a comment:

• Ravello
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    I would suspect the diference is that Hamilton is sponsored by Mercedes who also provide him with the cars he drives and hence probably underwrite his insurance.
    That doesn't mitigate the likelihood of him crashing though, it just means he is adequately insured - as was Ronaldo.

Mich's point appeared to be that a 23yr old really shouldn't be behind the wheel of a Ferrari, irrespective of ability to pay the insurance premiums, as insurance doesn't mitigate the risk to 3rd parties.

Leave a comment:

• Ravello
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    There's a big difference between a top racing driver on a racetrack and a young footballer driving on a public road.
    Agreed, and I didn't realise Hamilton didn't drive a 'fast' car on the public roads.. However, the point that I was making is that surely the benefit of age, when discussing driving and associated insurance, is that of experience? Hence my point in my previous post regarding the experience of an average 30 y.o.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Coincidentally, Lewis Hamilton is also 23 - maybe he shouldn't be allowed to drive that Maclaren-Mercedes thing either as that looks like it has a bit of poke - he's crashed it a couple of times too...

As someone else said, I'd imagine that Ronaldo probably has a fair bit more experience in driving supercars than your average 30+ y.o..
    I would suspect the diference is that Hamilton is sponsored by Mercedes who also provide him with the cars he drives and hence probably underwrite his insurance.

Leave a comment:

• thelace
    replied
    There's a big difference between a top racing driver on a racetrack and a young footballer driving on a public road.
    And Doesn't Hamilton drive some big blinged up diesel 4x4 on the roads? "Who needs a fast car on the road? They'll take my licence away"

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    WHS.

Why can't the footballer go to a track day? Like club 89 or something?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Coincidentally, Lewis Hamilton is also 23 - maybe he shouldn't be allowed to drive that Maclaren-Mercedes thing either as that looks like it has a bit of poke - he's crashed it a couple of times too...

As someone else said, I'd imagine that Ronaldo probably has a fair bit more experience in driving supercars than your average 30+ y.o..

Leave a comment:

• Ravello
    replied
    When I first bought a fairly quick car I was 24 (second hand BMW 3 series) and I struggled to find an insurer who would give me a policy before I was 25. Found one eventually but the premium nearly broke me. Many insurers in NL even demand that you’re 30 or older to drive a high powered car. This Ronaldo bloke is 23; OK , he can afford to pay huge premiums, but that doesn’t mitigate the risk to third parties, which luckily didn’t apply in this case.

Hopefully his insurer will withdraw insurance after this and force him to drive a little Fiesta instead.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    When I first bought a fairly quick car I was 24 (second hand BMW 3 series) and I struggled to find an insurer who would give me a policy before I was 25. Found one eventually but the premium nearly broke me. Many insurers in NL even demand that you’re 30 or older to drive a high powered car. This Ronaldo bloke is 23; OK , he can afford to pay huge premiums, but that doesn’t mitigate the risk to third parties, which luckily didn’t apply in this case.

Hopefully his insurer will withdraw insurance after this and force him to drive a little Fiesta instead.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    This has been done to death on PistonHeads forums (including the rubbish jokes ). General consensus was he opened up the throttle to hear the sound of the engine roaring in the tunnel, and who wouldn't...? Unfortunately he lost it. Also presume he was having a race with his colleague at the time.

Leave a comment:

• Chantho
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Is it true he made contact with a focus just before the crash?

Echoes of the princess di accident.....
    [conspiracy]Maybe there are some MI5 spooks who support Chelsea and wanted to take Ronaldo out before the teams met in the league [/conspiracy]

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    Originally posted by Goldenboy View Post
    I heard that he had complained that the wall wasnt 10 yards away!!!

Leave a comment:

• Goldenboy
    replied
    I heard that he had complained that the wall wasnt 10 yards away!!!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I'd imagine he's had more experience driving powerful cars than most people of any age, considering he can afford any car he might want.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    Drove past the crash tunnel on my way to work the other day as I live in the area.

All I can say is ‘Bl00dyhell’.

It is a two lane road with wall on each side.

There are at LEAST five gouge marks on a ¼ mile stretch where he has ricochet from side to side, wiping out a crash barrier for pedestrians by the tunnels fire exit.

How he walked away, never mind got killed is amazing.

He had the car for only two days.

He lives in Prestbury, a sleepy village, hence this was his first opportunity at giving it some!
    Obviously too much motor for him to handle. No different from handing the keys to an exteremely powerful car to anyone under 25. Lucky escape, not just for him, and he should go more easy on the right foot (when driving anyway).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X