• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Coffee Machines

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Coffee Machines"

Collapse

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    This topic comes up once every few months, so a search would provide more information.
    Linky

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    If you make a cup of 'regular' coffee using espresso and hot water, would you just make an espresso and stick the kettle on?
    Just run more water through the machine.

Leave a comment:

• Svalbaard
    replied
    Coffee shouldn't be left in a pot to stew. If you value your coffee it should be made as fresh as possible.

I have a copper stove top coffee maker that I bought in a Moroccoan souk years ago for pennies. It still makes the best espresso I've had and it's totally worth the sacrifice of the convenience that the robot coffee machines give you.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    "I bought my local Caffè Nero"

Threaded.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Solidec View Post
    I have a Gaggia Synchrony, got it from Amazon a couple of eyars ago for less than £200 (RRP was £350 odd)

It is a bean to cup machine with a separate steamer. Well worth every penny as I have had hundreds of coffees in the 2 years I have owned it. No issues with maintenence or anything, solid piece of kit.
    Damn but these are expensive, the Baby Dose costs about the same as my washing machine! I was hoping £100 would be a realistic budget for something nice

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
    I'm planning on treating myself to a Rancilio Silvia at some point soon - supposedly legendary in the world of coffee making but a bit pricey at £375.
    that looks ace, I must get me one of those.

I fell in love with an Orange juice machine in the Rheged centre , Kewsick. It had two big scoopy arms and plucked up the oranges from a basket then sliced them up and squashed the bits to make juice. A bit like one of the metal warlords from 'War of the Worlds'

Leave a comment:

• Solidec
    replied
    I have a Gaggia Synchrony, got it from Amazon a couple of eyars ago for less than £200 (RRP was £350 odd)

It is a bean to cup machine with a separate steamer. Well worth every penny as I have had hundreds of coffees in the 2 years I have owned it. No issues with maintenence or anything, solid piece of kit.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    If you make a cup of 'regular' coffee using espresso and hot water, would you just make an espresso and stick the kettle on?

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    We recently bought a Krups dual machine, and find it excellent. My own old Gaggia is in the garage, may be kept or not.

The Krups has 2 sections, entirely independent, in the same body: an espresso machine and a drip maker. We got the latter because partner likes the smell of filter coffee in the kitchen on a Sunday morning.

The espresso part has 3 cups, double, single, and pods. All 3 give excellent results with astounding crema. Easy push-buttons for dispensing. Pods are not too expensive.

I couldn't believe it for 179.00 (John Lewis). I had resigned myself to giving up my beloved Gaggia to keep my partner happy; but instead we got something that makes better coffee (OK, old machine needed a service, but still...)

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Archangel View Post
    I have the Gaggia Baby Dose, and although I'm on my third in a year (reliability does seem an issue) the coffee is really superb. Use the 5 minutes it takes to make a great cup of espresso as a break from work which will also do you good.
    Did they replace the broken ones under warranty without problems?

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    I'm planning on treating myself to a Rancilio Silvia at some point soon - supposedly legendary in the world of coffee making but a bit pricey at £375.

Leave a comment:

• Archangel
    replied
    I have the Gaggia Baby Dose, and although I'm on my third in a year (reliability does seem an issue) the coffee is really superb. Use the 5 minutes it takes to make a great cup of espresso as a break from work which will also do you good.

Leave a comment:

• TheVoice
    replied
    I have 2 Tassimo machines, never found them overly costly...

Leave a comment:

• dinker
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    The best thing to get is a £40 kettle (or less if you're a cheapskate), and a large tin of Arabica or Gold Blend instant coffee.
    Or just stick a saucepan of water on your hot-plate.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    The best thing to get is a £40 kettle (or less if you're a cheapskate), and a large tin of Arabica or Gold Blend instant coffee.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X