• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Revealed: the environmental impact of Google searches"

Collapse

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Google disputes the figures...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/15689..._estimate.html

Google Disputes Harvard Fellow's Pollution Estimate
    Jeremy Kirk, IDG News Service

Jan 12, 2009 1:10 pm
    Email
    Print
    RSS
    0 CommentsBuzz up!4 Yes 0 No Recommends

The carbon footprint of a search query is nowhere near the estimate concluded by a Harvard academic, Google said late Sunday.

British newspaper The Sunday Times published a story on Sunday with results from a study conducted by Alex Wissner-Gross, a physicist who estimates a Google search generates 7 grams of carbon dioxide (CO2), slightly less than half as much CO2 as boiling a kettle for a cup of tea.

Wissner-Gross maintains that it shows a Google search has "a definite environmental impact."

Google, however, is arguing 7 grams is way off and is trivial compared to other CO2-spewing activities, such as driving.

One search query releases the equivalent of 0.2 grams of CO2, wrote Urs Hölzle, Google's senior vice president of operations on a company blog late on Sunday.

It's difficult to see how either Wissner-Gross or Google come to their conclusions since no technical detail is provided.

However, the disparity may come from the fact that Google and Wissner-Gross are measuring different things. The Sunday Times story says the researcher's study covers a search query from a desktop computer, which could include the emissions caused by running that PC. Google's response focuses on the data center.

Wissner-Gross's study is due for release soon by the U.S. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, according to the Times.

Google estimates one search, including a share of the energy spent building the search engine's index, uses 0.0003 kWh of energy, or 1 kilojoule. An average person's body consumes around 8,000 kilojoules of energy a day, and so one search would use the same amount of energy a person burns in 10 seconds, Hölzle wrote.

The energy consumption of a search query pales in comparison to vehicle travel, Hölzle wrote. The European Union standard for vehicle emissions is around 140 grams of CO2 per kilometer driven, so most cars generate enough CO2 for a thousand Google searches just traveling one kilometer, Hölzle wrote. Google said in the past people would have often had to drive to a library to find information.

Google and other major technology companies such as Microsoft have sought out sites for new data centers located near cheap hydroelectric power in order to reduce their own energy costs. Server manufacturers have also tried to reduce the energy consumption of their products.

"We've made great strides to reduce the energy used by our data centers, but we still want clean and affordable sources of electricity for the power that we do use," Hölzle wrote.

In October, Google revealed internal test results on power consumption in its data centers.

Google uses a metric called Power Usage Effectiveness (PUE) to gauge its data center efficiency. PUE is a ratio of the total power consumed by a data center to the power consumed by all of the IT equipment used in the facility. A PUE of 2.0 shows that for every watt powering IT equipment, one watt is used to cool and distribute power to the equipment.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency estimated in 2006 that typical data centers have a PUE of 2.0 or higher, but that figure would drop to 1.2 by 2011 due to new cooling techniques. Google said that its PUE average now is around 1.13.

That efficiency has been gained by using more efficient power supplies, efficient voltage regulators on motherboards and by designing server racks to use as little fan power as possible, Google said.

Estimates put the IT industry's greenhouse gas emissions around 2 percent of the world's total, about equivalent as the airline industry. But technology companies have come under increasing pressure from environmental organizations and consumers to become more conscious about emissions and other issues such as equipment disposal.

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by thelace View Post
    So if I sit myself down with a piping hot cup of coffee and do a couple of google searches.... it'll make it warmer?

Sign me up for some of that!
    now there's an idea - connect up your pc to the kettle to transfer the heat to make a cuppa - the harder you work the quicker the kettle will boil!

Leave a comment:

• thelace
    replied
    So if I sit myself down with a piping hot cup of coffee and do a couple of google searches.... it'll make it warmer?

Sign me up for some of that!

Leave a comment:

• Cheshire Cat
    replied
    I'm sure Gordo will include a google-tax some time this year, to claw back cost of the VAT reduction.

Leave a comment:

• Ravello
    replied
    I can't believe that the guy who wrote this didn't have anything better to do..

If you want to be an expert in your field, pick a field that no-one else wants to stand in.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    It uses up less energy then surfing for the result by hand. That would mean your PC is on for longer and mean more than 7g of CO2 is produced.

The alternative is if everyone did 4 searces a day. The power would not rise linerally so we would use maybe 6g per search.

I've just saved the planet.

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    10 or 20
    yes for most people it would be 10 or 20 - when I am doing research on specific topics I might go as far as 200 though - I've setup my google page to show 100 results.

Leave a comment:

• Chantho
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/...cle5489134.ece

While millions of people tap into Google without considering the environment, a typical search generates about 7g of CO2 Boiling a kettle generates about 15g. “Google operates huge data centres around the world that consume a great deal of power,” said Alex Wissner-Gross, a Harvard University physicist whose research on the environmental impact of computing is due out soon. “A Google search has a definite environmental impact.”
    Problem solved - see This thread

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Has anything ever generated more hot air than SKA?

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    surely it would use less energy if it didn't return 11 million plus results when I'm only going to browse maybe the first 100 or 200?
    10 or 20

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    surely it would use less energy if it didn't return 11 million plus results when I'm only going to browse maybe the first 100 or 200?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    How many carbons are saved by the use of all this communication technology? Surely e-mail is better than driving or flying to have a face to face meeting. And searching for something on Google is a greener source of information than having to print lots of books, and ship those books all round the world.

They should factor that in.
    Making books locks carbon in the form of paper, so there's less in the air. For the same reason, we should build more roads.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Let's face it, humans create all sorts of C02 emissions and pollution.

The only answer is to take off and nuke the place from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    How much energy is used up with heat and lighting while doing the same search in the library?

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    How many carbons are saved by the use of all this communication technology? Surely e-mail is better than driving or flying to have a face to face meeting. And searching for something on Google is a greener source of information than having to print lots of books, and ship those books all round the world.

They should factor that in.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X