• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Prince Harry and P*ki jibes."

Collapse

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Max Mosley. Oh tulip, I might get sued for saying that.
    He didn't keep it on for very long though did he?....allegedly

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    Interesting as per your comments on Aurelias - do you share his essential Nihilism as per his views on life and death ?

The significance of death was very important in the philosophy of Marcus Aurelius. He didn't believe in the afterlife.

He wrote: 'We live for an instant, only to be swallowed in "complete forgetfulness and the void of infinite time on this side of us." "Think how many ere now, after passing their life in implacable enmity, suspicion, hatred... are now dead and burnt to ashes."

According to Marcus Aurelius everything will be turned in absolute oblivion, even legends. "Of the life of man the duration is but a point, its substance streaming away, its perception dim, the fabric of the entire body prone to decay, and the soul a vortex, and fortune incalculable, and fame uncertain.

In a word all things of the body are as a river, and the things of the soul as a dream and a vapour; and life is a warfare and a pilgrim's sojourn, and fame after death is only forgetfulness." '

Everything existing "is already disintegrating and changing... everything is by nature made but to die." '

The length of one's life is irrelevant, "for look at the yawning gulf of time behind thee and before thee at another infinity to come. In this eternity the life of a baby of three days and the life of a Nestor of three centuries are as one." 'To desire is to be permanently disappointed and disturbed, since everything we desire in this world is "empty and corrupt and paltry."

For Marcus Aurelius, death was desirable, because it would make an end to all desires.
    Wow - From Prince Harry calling his mate 'our little paki friend' to the musings of Marcus Aurelius in just a few pages...

It's like the word association thread!!

Incidentally, Clint Eastwood has a new film out which will probably upset the liberals too. Review here.
    Last edited by ratewhore; 12 January 2009, 11:16.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    who goes to a party in a Nazi outfit these days?
    Max Mosley. Oh tulip, I might get sued for saying that.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Makes me wonder when he gets home what he says about us "commoners".

The man is thick...who goes to a party in a Nazi outfit these days?

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I dunno, I spend half my day looking down to the lower floor and right into this girl's cleavage. Makes my day I tell yee.
    Whatever Gets you thru your Life
    Its allright - its allright
    Do it Wrong or do it Right
    Its allright

Dont need a gun to blow your Mind
    Dont need a watch to waste your Time

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    In a nutshell yes. Read some of his meditations, don't profess to understand them deeply.

Every morning when I don't want to get up him I recall him saying words to the effect "why do I not want to rise when this is what I was put here for".

Also his philosphy on allowing people to hurt you only if you let them I have found useful in dealing with situations.
    Interesting reflection upon getting up - I am a terrible Sleep Monster and really have to battle to get up - another quotation of the same Ilk was from the movie Christianne F. - I recall a quote about sleep - youve slept enough for today - plenty of time for that after you're Dead.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Hold on though - wasnt that the core teaching of the Buddah - that Desire iteself was the root cause of suffering ?
    I dunno, I spend half my day looking down to the lower floor and right into this girl's cleavage. Makes my day I tell yee.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Hold on though - wasnt that the core teaching of the Buddah - that Desire iteself was the root cause of suffering ?

Also unlike the Abrahamic Religions , Buddhism like Marcus - also concluded there was no aferlife in the sense of the continuation of the Ego - however it went further to contend that '"you'' cannot die - because in fact "'ýou' were ever born - in other words ÿou" as the Égo' is an illusion - a hoax.

Right - time for a cup of tea.

PS I had some Liver last night - but forgot to get Onions - still enjoyed it - well at least my illusionary Ego did.
    The Stoics had a few things to say on this theme too, and it would be strange to accuse Seneca the younger or elder or indeed Zeno of being religious zealots.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Interesting as per your comments on Aurelias - do you share his essential Nihilism as per his views on life and death ?

The significance of death was very important in the philosophy of Marcus Aurelius. He didn't believe in the afterlife.

He wrote: 'We live for an instant, only to be swallowed in "complete forgetfulness and the void of infinite time on this side of us." "Think how many ere now, after passing their life in implacable enmity, suspicion, hatred... are now dead and burnt to ashes."

According to Marcus Aurelius everything will be turned in absolute oblivion, even legends. "Of the life of man the duration is but a point, its substance streaming away, its perception dim, the fabric of the entire body prone to decay, and the soul a vortex, and fortune incalculable, and fame uncertain.

In a word all things of the body are as a river, and the things of the soul as a dream and a vapour; and life is a warfare and a pilgrim's sojourn, and fame after death is only forgetfulness." '

Everything existing "is already disintegrating and changing... everything is by nature made but to die." '

The length of one's life is irrelevant, "for look at the yawning gulf of time behind thee and before thee at another infinity to come. In this eternity the life of a baby of three days and the life of a Nestor of three centuries are as one." 'To desire is to be permanently disappointed and disturbed, since everything we desire in this world is "empty and corrupt and paltry."

For Marcus Aurelius, death was desirable, because it would make an end to all desires.
    In a nutshell yes. Read some of his meditations, don't profess to understand them deeply.

Every morning when I don't want to get up him I recall him saying words to the effect "why do I not want to rise when this is what I was put here for".

Also his philosphy on allowing people to hurt you only if you let them I have found useful in dealing with situations.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Desires are the best thing about living

and

Also unlike the Abrahamic Religions , Buddhism like Marcus - also concluded there was no aferlife in the sense of the continuation of the Ego - however it went further to contend that '"you'' cannot die - because in fact "'ýou' was never born - in other words ÿou" as the Égo' is an illusion - a hoax.

Right - time for a cup of tea.

PS I had some Liver last night - but forgot to get Onions - still enjoyed it - well at least my illusionary Ego did.
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 12 January 2009, 10:02.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    Nope I dislike them for their superstious beliefs. I don't want to persecute them or harm them in any way, I dislike them in the same way I dislike liver and onions.
    It's quite possible to dislike someone's superstitious beliefs without disliking the person.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Atheists sent millions to the Gulag, slaughtered Poles, political opponents and Germans before and after the second world war and occupied Eastern Europe for nearly half a century. They also manipulated the history of Russia to serve their own ends and stole cultural artefacts in Europe.

Your argument amounts to this; some muslims did some nasty things, therefore I dislike muslims. Some christians did some nasty stuff, therefore I dislike christians. Surely it follows that if some atheists did some nasty things, you would dislike atheists.
    Nope I dislike them for their superstious beliefs. I don't want to persecute them or harm them in any way, I dislike them in the same way I dislike liver and onions.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Actually the argument may be that people with a strong ideology or "ism" (religious or otherwise) cause problems.
    Especially when they refuse to accept others as their equals.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Desires are the best thing about living

and

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Actually the argument may be that people with a strong ideology or "ism" (religious or otherwise) cause problems.

As for the Harry incident, it's a little silly for an officer to make statements like that as it may discourage many ethnic minorites from joining who may make good cannon fodder.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X