• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How would being rich change your life?"

Collapse

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    In addition to all of the nice things mentioned above, I would get my Ocean Master qualification, and buy a fleet of yachts - probably an ex-America's Cup type for racing (leave that in Cowes), an enormous dive platform type thing (leave that in Cyprus for easy access to the Red Sea) and several smaller 55s to leave around my favourite bits of the world.

I'd also learn to fly my own jet plane.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Have a couple of people working for me, kind of like Max from Hart to Hart where someone looks after my interests but with a bit less of the mourdaa.

I would like to have house service so that my laundry would reapear back in the wardrobe the day after wearing, cleaned and ironed. Have someone do my cooking as well.

It's the general running of my life that I can't stand, the mundane duties, ironing your shirts on a Sunday, the weekly shop on Monday night. Actually going out and working is not that bad.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    I'd do a venn diagram of the ones I know at the point of the win, and they'd be the Inner Circle. Any new ones go in to the Outer Circle, though with time can migrate Inwards depending on how things pan out.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    Give loads of money to friends, so they don't have to be tied down with work either. No point being rich if all your friends have to work is there ? ..
    The snag is you'd suddenly find you had loads more friends, and you wouldn't know who your real friends were.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Give up work.

Spend more time online, or playing board games, roleplaying. I've done a lot of travel to Central Europe and America. Not interested in the Far East. Yuk.

Equip a music studio. Buy a nightclub and make it Goth/BDSM only (ie...doesn't need to open for the mainstream).

Build dream house. Not fussed about cars. Probably get a driver, since driving is boring and demands time, which I can better spend in the car doing other things.

Give loads of money to friends, so they don't have to be tied down with work either. No point being rich if all your friends have to work is there ?

Don't have kids, but if I did, I'd make sure they don't have to work either.

Don't agree with the "I had to work, so they have to as well" selfish mentality.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    I'd be able to live more like Dim Prawn, with his millions.

Leave a comment:

• Solidec
    replied
    Apart from the obligatory nice house in the country, villa in tuscany, Aston Martin etc...

I would attempt to live comfortably off savings and investment return, never having to work again.

They I would dabble in some philanthropy, love the idea of being in the enviable financial position to make a significant difference to peoples lives.

I would probably do a few degrees in stuff I am interested in, get tutored in loads of skills i wanted to learn, eg a musical instrument, some languages.

And I would then just enjoy life.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    It would probably make me more philanthropic! I'd love to give the local RNLI and similar good causes some resources to benefit the work they do.

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
    I'd retire. You only sacrifice the best years of your life in order to live, surely? Bollox to that for a hobby.

I'd also drive the same crappy car just to piss everyone off who'd be expecting me to get a Porsche or something equally pointless.

Nice house and time with family are all I aspire to.
    I'm one of those sick barstewards who actually enjoys what I do, and on the odd occasion when I haven't been doing it miss the intellectual stimulation so much that my wife threatens to walk out.

I think, even if I won the lottery (highly unlikely since I don't play it), I'd still carry on doing it. I know - I am a very sick man and need to seek medical help urgently

Leave a comment:

• Shimano105
    replied
    I'd retire. You only sacrifice the best years of your life in order to live, surely? Bollox to that for a hobby.

I'd also drive the same crappy car just to piss everyone off who'd be expecting me to get a Porsche or something equally pointless.

Nice house and time with family are all I aspire to.

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied
    I would move from permie job to permie job, getting fired for laughing too much.

Usual, house, cars, sort the kids, travel, Msc or something, and invest in some small businesses.

Also my mates and I go to the Le-Mans 24hr race every year, I'd hire each one a DB9 to drive down to our usual camp site in - that would be brill.

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    Originally posted by London75 View Post
    Sorry to be soppy but I would spend all day every day with my children. I miss them so much and I'm luckier than most people with good work hours and limited travel.
    Great answer

Leave a comment:

• London75
    replied
    Sorry to be soppy but I would spend all day every day with my children. I miss them so much and I'm luckier than most people with good work hours and limited travel.

Leave a comment:

• portseven
    replied
    * Pay off all debts (inc mortgates)
    * Put a pot in a trust fund for the kids
    * Buy a nicer car & house somewhere sunny
    * Arrange finance so that I have a steady income for life
    * Spend time at home with family and also contributing to various open source projects.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    I would continue to post crap on here whilst periodically 'shouting' Lodsamoneeeeeeeey in my posts in an 80's Harry Enfield style.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X