• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Twentieth Anniversary of Kegworth Air Crash"

Collapse

• Tensai
    replied
    My mum was working on admissions in A&E at the Leicester Royal Infirmary where they brought many of the injured. It was pretty grim, but one of the hardest jobs was fending off all the journalists who were trying to get at the survivors for a story. Absolute parasites apparently.

Leave a comment:

• crimdon
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    A friend of mine was on the plane and died. He was in the RAF and was on his way back to Norn Iron to pack up his kit as he was about to be posted to Hong Kong. Poor fooker. I also seem to remember that there was a squaddie who was late for the flight and missed out in being involved in the accident. He was interviewed in a load of the papers thereafter about how lucky he had been. I seem to remember that not long after returning to NI he was subsequently killed or wounded.
    Wow just like Final Destination

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    It was twenty years ago this evening that an airliner crashed on the embankment of the M1 at Kegworth.
    A friend of mine was on the plane and died. He was in the RAF and was on his way back to Norn Iron to pack up his kit as he was about to be posted to Hong Kong. Poor fooker. I also seem to remember that there was a squaddie who was late for the flight and missed out in being involved in the accident. He was interviewed in a load of the papers thereafter about how lucky he had been. I seem to remember that not long after returning to NI he was subsequently killed or wounded.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Why was the "V" inverted?
    It's a matter of perspective

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by BA to the Stars View Post
    I remember the news flashes. A terrible tragedy. always think of it when I pass there on the M1
    Me too, I'm still amazed that so many people survive air crashes despite having worked in aerospace.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Because the plane went into it nose-first. As you can see from the photo on the BBC story, the wings and broken-off tail section cleared out numbers of trees.

As a result, when one went past on the motorway, the cleared area went from being broad nearest the carriageway to just narrow enough to accommodate the nose of the plane at the top of the embankment.

You can get an impression of the scene about 17 - 19 seconds into the video at the bottom of the BBC story.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Me too.

For quite a while afterwards there was a big inverted V through the trees and bushes on the embankment where the plane had smashed through them. In the end the council chopped the whole lot down.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    I remember the news flashes. A terrible tragedy. always think of it when I pass there on the M1
    Me too.

For quite a while afterwards there was a big inverted V through the trees and bushes on the embankment where the plane had smashed through them. In the end the council chopped the whole lot down.

Leave a comment:

• zara_backdog
    replied
    Same here Can't believe it was so long ago

Leave a comment:

• BA to the Stars
    replied
    So he went from dealing with one kind of stiff to another

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    He will eventually

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    He will eventually

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    started a topic Twentieth Anniversary of Kegworth Air Crash

Twentieth Anniversary of Kegworth Air Crash

It was twenty years ago this evening that an airliner crashed on the embankment of the M1 at Kegworth.

A friend of mine was working as an embalmer for a Leicester funeral director back then. He had been ardently pursuing a young lady for some time, and that evening had finally managed to get her round to his place for dinner. Knowing that some people found it off-putting, he had carefully avoided mentioning his profession.

The food and candlelight did the trick, and they finished up in his bed.

At about two in the morning, his phone went. Having answered it he started to get up, apologising to his date and explaining that he had an emergency call-out.

"Why, what's happened? What do you do, anyway?" she asked.

"Well, you know that news flash earlier about the plane crash on the motorway?"

"Yes..."

"Well, I'm an embalmer. I have to get up to the airport to help deal with the bodies coming out of the plane."

He never got a second date with her

Working...
X