• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Trainspotters being stopped under anti-terror powers"

Collapse

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Is there scientific proof of "a soul" ?

Surely if we had such things, we should be able to prove them ?

Or is this another faith-based concept handed down by the Great Sky Fairy ?

NN btw :-)

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    A friend of mine once said to me:

"If there ever is such a thing as reincarnation, I'd like to come back with a significantly lower IQ".

I think I begin to understand what he meant now...

Although one should be careful what one wishes for: cockroaches have to be getting their souls from somewhere, and there's no guarantee of a nuclear war to give them the last laugh

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Posted by NF 'Twas ever thus. One of the curses of being a person of above-average intelligence living in a democracy (tr: rule by the people) is that you're forced to endure the decisions made by the imbecilic majority.
    A friend of mine once said to me:

"If there ever is such a thing as reincarnation, I'd like to come back with a significantly lower IQ".

I think I begin to understand what he meant now...

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    I'm sure a great many people are too terrified to complain, because the consequences are too frightening to imagine.
    As long as most people get their dose of reality TV, soap operas, SKY+, booze, fags and a night out to the pub or cinema once in a while, being a "martyr" and trying to start a rebellion is going to be way down on their list of "must-do's".
    You address the first point with the second: the vast majority of people don't give a monkey's fsck. They aren't terrified; they just don't really care, nor do they know what to care about.

Tell them that you want to concrete the local park where their kids play so as to build a new ASDA and a few of them may form a committee and kick up a bit of a stink, until the local councillors ignore them and grant planning permission anyway. Meanwhile, their neighbours will think "What can you do," or "Great! Easier shopping!"

Tell them that you want to tattoo a barcode on their newborn baby's arm and a few of them may kick up a stink. Meanwhile, their neighbours will think "What can you do," or "Great! Easier to get what's left of her back after she's been kidnapped by the deranged paedophiles that, The Sun assures me, roam the land in feral packs!"

'Twas ever thus. One of the curses of being a person of above-average intelligence living in a democracy (tr: rule by the people) is that you're forced to endure the decisions made by the imbecilic majority.

Unfortunately, the alternative systems of government always turn out very badly in the long run, so one has to make the best of an imperfect world.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    The British people of today do not deserve either, because they let this happen without complaint.
    I think you will find that complaint is pointless and effectively outlawed anyway.

I'm sure a great many people are too terrified to complain, because the consequences are too frightening to imagine.

This isn't "V for Vendetta" you know.

As long as most people get their dose of reality TV, soap operas, SKY+, booze, fags and a night out to the pub or cinema once in a while, being a "martyr" and trying to start a rebellion is going to be way down on their list of "must-do's".

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Why exactly did we need a terrorism act in 2000 with stop and search powers?

It was probably the time of least terrorist activity in Britain during the last 40 years.
    Interesting question, very interesting. No 9/11 yet, IRA all quiet, no foreigners stomping around London making trouble. Why did we need it? Yes, it did consolidate and clarify a number of previous Acts.

It also made permanent the provisions of the Prevention of Terrorism (Temporary Provisions) Act 1989, which in the spirit of its name had up till then had to be renewed every six months. Now you see creeping control in action: first it was only for 6 months; then it had to be renewed every 6 months; then it was made permanent. Got a problem with that, Citizen Smith?

And it introduced random searches. No need for suspicion of any kind, far less a warrant: we want to search you, we search you. If you refuse, you will be arrested, handcuffed, and detained. Oh and of course have your DNA taken and kept on file forever. In case we ever find it useful.

As Ben Franklin said, those who would give up freedom for security, deserve neither freedom nor security. I would add, and won't get either. The British people of today do not deserve either, because they let this happen without complaint.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Why exactly did we need a terrorism act in 2000 with stop and search powers?

It was probably the time of least terrorist activity in Britain during the last 40 years.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    There is no "Prevention of Terrorism Act 2000".

It's either the "Prevention of Terrorism Act 2005" or the "Terrorism Act 2000" (in this case, the latter).

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    Philately will get you nowhere.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I used to stay in Armagh during the 80s and just now it's not really that far off what went on there then.

Leave a comment:

• sappatz
    replied
    train

The Prevention of Terrorism Act 2000 has been used to stop 62,584 people at railway stations and another 87,000 were questioned under "stop and search" and "stop and account" legislation.
    the SD (better known as gestapo), MI5 , FBI and similar services were also very active in train stations during WWII.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    They must have put in about 150 new security cameras in Glasgow central recently, I would imagine they are running facial recognition software, cameras aimed at every possible exit from a train at the platforms, made by Siemens ironically.

They should protect us from a flaming Cherokee Jeep I suppose.
    Do you think that all this security is to protect us?

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    They must have put in about 150 new security cameras in Glasgow central recently, I would imagine they are running facial recognition software, cameras aimed at every possible exit from a train at the platforms, made by Siemens ironically.

They should protect us from a flaming Cherokee Jeep I suppose.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    ..... in third world countries where they fear a coup, but the UK for Heaven's Sake?
    The UK not being one of those, I suppose?

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    The fact that the searches were carried out in railway stations doesn't mean they were all trainspotters. Have a look at this video a commuter recorded of being randomly chosen for a stop-search under anti-terrorism laws at Waterloo one evening
    Terrifying. Is this what the UK has become?

A friend of mine whos brother is a PC told me that they were not allowed to excercise any kind of discretion or individual judgment now. All directives are from the top, and they must obey them to the letter.

Don't blame the copper on the beat. They are not all moronic bastards. Most of them feel as bad about this as anyone else does.

p.s. Great avatar Puss!
    Last edited by bogeyman; 5 January 2009, 18:14.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X