• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Bad Science

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Bad Science"

Collapse

• Beefy198
    replied
    I love Ben Goldacre and he's a must read on my RSS feed.

I sent a load of his articles to my mother-in-law when she wouldn't shut up about the MMR vaccine and how 'dangerous' it was.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Us? Speak for yourself!
    Interestingly despite "dogs being able to sense odours at concentrations nearly 100 million times lower than humans can and the percentage of the dog's brain devoted to analyzing the smells being 40 times larger than that of a human", they still stick their noses right into the poo.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog#Smell

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Dogs do it and appear to derive a great deal of satisfaction and information from it, and even after rolling around in it, they still smell better than us.
    They also sniff each others bums a lot and have been known to eat their own poop - would you advocate that too!

BTW the only thing i smell of is Chanel No5

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Dogs do it and appear to derive a great deal of satisfaction and information from it, and even after rolling around in it, they still smell better than us.
    Us? Speak for yourself!

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by deano View Post
    This was set in the US in the 20's I think. So they look at poo as well. It seems to be a universal thing.

I've never seen the utility of it as a health check myself. I mean, given that my diet changes how do I know what colour it should be.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    I saw a film once with Sir Anthony Hopkins about the guy who invented Kellog's Corn Flakes. Dr. Kellog I think his name was. Anyway, I remember he had a sanitorium and he diagnosed peoples illnesses by examining their stools.

This was set in the US in the 20's I think. So they look at poo as well. It seems to be a universal thing.

I've never seen the utility of it as a health check myself. I mean, given that my diet changes how do I know what colour it should be.

Anyway, I would need some kind of a paint-chart to measure the change. "Today it's ochre number 4, but yesterday it was more Oak Bark 3, therefore I must see a doctor!"
    The Road to Wellville

Gets a crap rating on IMDB but I quite enjoyed it

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    In the UK anyone can call themselves Dr, it is only an offense to practice as one if you are not qualified

But on the subject of investigating ones excrement, I sit between two stools on that one

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    At the risk of bringing the thread back on topic (!), Kellogg gets a mention in Ben Goldacre's book.
    Hmm. Kellogg is an anagram of G. Elk Log. Do you think that Gillian's PhD extends to animal faeces as well?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I saw a film once with Sir Anthony Hopkins about the guy who invented Kellog's Corn Flakes. Dr. Kellog I think his name was. Anyway, I remember he had a sanitorium and he diagnosed peoples illnesses by examining their stools.

Anyway, I would need some kind of a paint-chart to measure the change. "Today it's ochre number 4, but yesterday it was more Oak Bark 3, therefore I must see a doctor!"
    At the risk of bringing the thread back on topic (!), Kellogg gets a mention in Ben Goldacre's book.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Actually I totally agree, with the exception that meat should be cooked rather than raw (bad meat probably killed a lot of our ancestors).

So a diet that hunter-gatherers had: lots of meat, and raw berries, fruits and veg is probably what our bodies have evolved to cope with.
    Of course they had a lot more exercise too - running away from sabre-tooth tigers concentrates ones heart and lungs beautifully.

HEAVEN!!!!

Beef should always be eaten raw, the only acceptable cooking is a quick sear on each side so it doesn't look raw until you cut into it and the blood starts flowing !!!!

Leave a comment:

• deano
    replied
    This has turned into a crap thread.
    Ah, but we can measure all of these things with our clever western science, but does it help us get in touch with our inner selves. What would the Eastern Buddhist Guru’s make of it all? Would they say that he who measures his life in poo must first eat of the All-Bran of life?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Is this the twenty-turd time I've posted today?

IGMC

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    It's like the CUK coprophilia club

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Density (for floatingness or not) and something to measure the emulsification in water for less firm samples.
    Bejasus, it's not as easy as I thought.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X