• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Whiskey recommendations?"

Collapse

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    Just out of curiosity, I only ever put a small drop of water with my whisky. Never ice, and certainly no ginger ale or similar devil's piss.

What do you put in your malt?
    i prefer highland to islay malts

depending on the malt, if it is cask strength i will add some spring water to it, only cask.

apart from that nowt comes between me and a decent malt

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Must admit, not a fan of blended whiskys.

I like the peaty, smokey malts.

Just out of curiosity, I only ever put a small drop of water with my whisky. Never ice, and certainly no ginger ale or similar devil's piss.

A good single malt MUST be drunk neat IMHO.
    Otherwise you are taking away from the flavour.
    I only put an ice cube or water in if the whisky is bollux, it hides the taste

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    oban quite smoky, very smooth

the blue label is an "acquired taste" and is best used for cleaning your toilet
    Must admit, not a fan of blended whiskys.

I like the peaty, smokey malts.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Don't know about the Oban but Blue Label is about the best blend there is.
    oban quite smoky, very smooth

the blue label is an "acquired taste" and is best used for cleaning your toilet

Leave a comment:

• deano
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Kwik Save No Frills Scotch

Only the best in our house.
    I was on a bottle of Spar own brand whisky a day at one time. It was 40% proof and cheap enough to get a couple of bottles to hide round the house. I can recommend it if you fancy going down that route.

Having said that I never turned down a nice drop of Laphroaigh. Johnny Walker Green Label was good as well (I got it on a flight to Jersey of all places).

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Please can I have the audiences opinion on "Oban 14 Year Old Single Malt"?

Also, Johnny Walker Blue Label. I bought my Father a bottle of that a few years ago.
    Don't know about the Oban but Blue Label is about the best blend there is.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    DIY

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Please can I have the audiences opinion on "Oban 14 Year Old Single Malt"?

Also, Johnny Walker Blue Label. I bought my Father a bottle of that a few years ago.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    No but if I had some very nice ice cream I might, maybe that white one from Scotland whatever it's called... I don't think single malt and Tesco Vanilla ice-cream would work!

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    That's what Bells is made for. I'm a bit of a purist with single malts, unless I could find some really top-class ginger ale (I can't). As for Laophraig, you could mix it with petrol and not affect the taste... it's not nasty but a bit too extreme for my taste.
    OK let me see if I can stir this up.

Has anyone else here tried a decent malt poured over vanilla ice cream?

Leave a comment:

• Weltchy
    replied
    Lagavulin, Macallan or Glenlivet

The double distilled lagavulin is incredibly peaty in taste so try the normal 16 year old first. I like it, but its normally too much for other people I've offered it too.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    On a cold day I make her a hot toddy for when she gets home from work.
    That's what Bells is made for. I'm a bit of a purist with single malts, unless I could find some really top-class ginger ale (I can't). As for Laophraig, you could mix it with petrol and not affect the taste... it's not nasty but a bit too extreme for my taste.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Kwik Save No Frills Scotch

Only the best in our house.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Highland Park
    WHS

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Laophraig....
    yep. The missus drinks the stuff and this gets her vote.

On a cold day I make her a hot toddy for when she gets home from work.

three shots of whisky, third of a pint of boiling eater, two dollops of honey, two spoons of brown sugar and a slice of lemon.

dont stir it.

She gets most pleasure from sniffing it then watching the bits swirl round as she curls up unders a highland rug and starts twiddling the stirry thing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X