• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: mind if i vent

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "mind if i vent"

Collapse

• jmo21
    replied
    as it happens he's not in Reading

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    Could be that great big flip off campus in Reading. I went there once for a training day and walked into the wrong building straight past the dolly birds on reception right down into the bowels of M$ completely unchallenged until somoene told me.

And I forgot my suicide bomb belt that day!
    Aha, that's why I asked. I worked there recently, and I know someone who is due for a good promotion soon because his project is coming to an end and he seemed to do pretty well. Big rugby fan.

BTW There was quite a bit of totty talent there.

Leave a comment:

• Jaws
    replied
    If being a director is what it takes to break the higher rate tax band at MS, I wonder what the developers are being paid.

And I agree totally, I wouldn't dream of talking about money or how much I earn. Some people don't half try hard to find out though.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
    Agree with Pondlife's post.
    I don't talk about what money I earn to anyone but Mrs Cat.
    All my good friends (old and newer) are either too polite to seriously mention money (apart from the odd comment, e.g. "you're a contractor, your round") or they don't give a t0ss.
    If I ever do run into people I knew at school who pry about my finances, I either skirt around the subject and tell them I do ok, thanks for asking, or I tell them flatly that it's none of their business, depending on the situation.
    totally agree, any talk of money is incredibly crass

Leave a comment:

• Scotchpie
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    the funniest part was the product he was in charge of is currently bombing incredibly badly in sales , and he still got promoted! go figure!

Sounds like the NHS.

Leave a comment:

• Cheshire Cat
    replied
    Agree with Pondlife's post.
    I don't talk about what money I earn to anyone but Mrs Cat.
    All my good friends (old and newer) are either too polite to seriously mention money (apart from the odd comment, e.g. "you're a contractor, your round") or they don't give a t0ss.
    If I ever do run into people I knew at school who pry about my finances, I either skirt around the subject and tell them I do ok, thanks for asking, or I tell them flatly that it's none of their business, depending on the situation.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    hehe, thanks for all the replies, made good reading over my breakfast

don't get me wrong I in no way felt inadequate, and i'm sure i do earn more money than he does

as it happens, I do not grudge him his success either, he was easily one of the smartest guys in our uni class, and i do know he has worked incredibly hard to get where he has

I was actually laughing to myself every time he dropped something into the conversation that was supposed to make himself sound so good (ie. hinting at paying 40% tax to indicate he is the higher wage bracket, telling us about a marketing guy taking him on the lash and paying £180 for a bottle of wine, i mean we've all done that right)

one of the other lads cut him off a couple of times deliberately, but i was probably the most sober so don't think anyone else really noticed

i do know exactly where and within what group he works but I won't say just in case, it is a very specific role

the funniest part was the product he was in charge of is currently bombing incredibly badly in sales , and he still got promoted! go figure!

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, do you know which Microsoft office this chap is based at?
    Could be that great big flip off campus in Reading. I went there once for a training day and walked into the wrong building straight past the dolly birds on reception right down into the bowels of M$ completely unchallenged until somoene told me.

And I forgot my suicide bomb belt that day!

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    We have a blokes day out every year. Started mostly as a group of us who knew each other from school/Uni and had expanded to include anyone who wants to tag along.

Some still live locally, some travelling back for xmas. We have all had varied degrees of success in our careers, in fact some are still in academia (although this has become their career). No one gives a flip about how much anyone else earns!

If any one of that group started playing billy big balls about money they would get all manner of abuse hurled their way.

If you catch up with a group of mates you haven't seen in ages and end up discussing cash something has gone seriously wrong in your priorities.

Topics of discussion are limited to;

Previous tours of duty (sport)
    The time someone was found wandering naked through the halls of residence
    That minger someone got off with... you know the one
    How you can't take you booze any more

but money... never

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    one guy doing pretty well for himself i guess, just been promoted to Director of a large division of Microsoft
    why are some people such arseholes?!
    If you don't mind me asking, do you know which Microsoft office this chap is based at?

Leave a comment:

• deano
    replied
    You could also point out that because of the recession, open source software is going to reduce Microsoft sales by a vast amount. So his bonus will be inversely proportional to the size of his ego.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    I'm smug because I pay very little tax. If anybody is smug about paying 40% then they are pretty stupid.
    WHS

I thought these VIPs (very important permies) were essential to making us feel smug?

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    had a reunion dinner with some old friends a couple of nights ago....

one guy doing pretty well for himself i guess, just been promoted to Director of a large division of Microsoft

continually refers to it all night, joked some line about paying 40% tax

generally smug as **** all night, never liked the guy, but just part of the same group from ages back, I left the night early as he was annoying me so much

You could have always boasted about being your own boss, deciding when you go into work, how much you pay yourself... etc. etc. The next time you meet him, take your company bank statement and ask him if his bank balance is the same or bigger... then the smugness will be wiped of his face.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied

generally smug as **** all night, never liked the guy, but just part of the same group from ages back, I left the night early as he was annoying me so much

Hmmmm - the question here isn't why are some people such ar*eholes, it's why did you feel so inadequate?

You're an IT Contractor yeah? You're probably coming out with money than him surely!

Leave a comment:

• Liability
    replied

As they play the game and ass kiss - thats all!

Hence why you will seldom find GOOD skilled people at the top! They just take the credit for the hard work the people below do.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X