• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Agents really ought to get some techie knowledge"

Collapse

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    And Prince2 isn't the name of a recording artist after he/it gave up being called "an artist formerly known as prince"

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    And DOS is DOS/VS and a PS/2 is an IBM PC

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    And SQL is not SQL Server.
    And VM is not Java VM but an operating system from IBM!!!

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by teclo View Post
    While we are on this subject; Javascript is not the same as Java and ASP is not the same as ASP.NET.

That drives me mental.
    And SQL is not SQL Server.

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    ...the agent was quite possibly one of the most attractive young women I have ever met, pity the missus came down with me to go shopping in the town as she asked me out to lunch (mutual pot noodle) afterwards.
    are you saying what I think you're saying, or was this just a product of your overactive imagination?

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    In Germany they tend to do things a bit different I think. You apply for the gig and the client would like to see you. This means that first you have a meeting with the agent to get to know one another, in fact some of them do have some technical knowledge (this may just be me as I tend to work through business partners more than agencies.) Next step is a meeting with the client and the agent comes with you as well and you tend to meet with the agent throughout the contract for updates, etc.

My current, well up until today, though is not techie but rather attractive and I remember going for a gig down in Herzogenaurach and the agent was quite possibly one of the most attractive young women I have ever met, pity the missus came down with me to go shopping in the town as she asked me out to lunch (mutual pot noodle) afterwards.

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe1978 View Post
    but an agent would never doctor a CV
    <wipes tears from eyes> No, no, you're right...course they wouldn't

Leave a comment:

• teclo
    replied
    While we are on this subject; Javascript is not the same as Java and ASP is not the same as ASP.NET.

That drives me mental.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    The following is part of a job spec sent to me:

The only problem is, RDz has only been available for under a couple of years so how is anyone meant to have 5 years experience of it?

<rant>This is one thing that really gets me about job specs and speaking to agents. A job spec will have a list of hundreds of acronyms of which you will probably have quite a few yet you are not considered suitable for the position. In my eyes therefore, the only person suitable is the person you are replacing. Other times you are told that you are not suitable because these TLAs are not on your profile yet you have used them extensively because they are part and parcel of a product, i.e. ISPF GML and file tailoring. If you have written large ISPF applications then you must have used these yet agents don't know this because they don't know what they are selling. The amount of times I have had conversations with agents and had to point out that what they require is actually part of the base operating system or product so I must have used it is getting to be silly. If I put down every product and sub-product on my CV then ot would be around 40 pages long, as it is I can only get it down to 8. </rant>
    They really need to know how to make Google their friend on the Interweb.

Leave a comment:

• Joe1978
    replied
    but an agent would never doctor a CV

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Easiest way to circumvent this is to put on your CV that you have the requisite number of year's experience. That might get you past the agent; if someone picks you up on it in the interview, just state that it is obviously nonsense and that the agent must have doctored the CV.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Actually installing RDz at the moment so I can say that I'm now experienced in it. Don't know what to do with it afterwards as its all that new fangled Java stuff

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    They are the bulltulipters.
    A few contractors can give them a run for their money......

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Maybe they want to seperate out the bulltulipers?
    They are the bulltulipters.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    The following is part of a job spec sent to me:

The only problem is, RDz has only been available for under a couple of years so how is anyone meant to have 5 years experience of it?
    Maybe they want to seperate out the bulltulipers?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X