• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Jaguar-Land Rover

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Jaguar-Land Rover"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    Now he's a car industry guru as well, is there no end to his wealth of knowledge?
    beginning

HTH

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    Now he's a car industry guru as well, is there no end to his wealth of knowledge?
    I've seen plenty of Range Rovers in Moscow last time I was there and no Jaguars. If a luxury car maker can't sell its stuff to countries like that it is a goner.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Range Rovers are pretty decent competitive cars that deserve support, but Jaguar is a loser - it has no chance. There are too many car manufacturers out there and the weakest have to go bust to allow strong ones to make money.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Range Rovers are pretty decent competitive cars that deserve support, but Jaguar is a loser - it has no chance. There are too many car manufacturers out there and the weakest have to go bust to allow strong ones to make money.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Mandelson rules out early rescue for Jaguar

Peter Mandelson threw cold water on prospects for an early government bailout of Jaguar Land Rover last night, saying that the company's Indian owners must "look to their own resources" and "pass tough tests" before any rescue would be considered.

The business secretary's remarks to the Observer, coming only hours after the Labour peer Lord Bhattacharyya suggested that a £667m rescue was imminent, were echoed even more strongly by another senior government source. "We are not an ATM machine," he said.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    My preference would be not to spend the money at all!
    Probably but if it goes under It will cost that in a few months.

Tell the Indian to GTF and then form a group and give them the money to buy it.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
    Jorn Madslien?
    Anagram of JIR Mandelson. But for the "I", that's Jaguar Land Rover Mandelson.

linky - I never knew that Norway had a cavalry.

Leave a comment:

• lightng
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    I don't think it's enough, 4x4's sales were in decline even before this as people simply don't want this sort of thing anymore.

If Honda can't sell cars no-one can.
    DA

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by HeliCraig View Post
    Freelander TD4 gives 37.7MPG combined cycle. Range Rover TDV8 gives 25.4MPG - and with some hybrid stuff on the way, I think these are pretty respectible really, given the luxury.

The problem is people with idea's and perceptions deeply rooted in the past. JLR is no different from any other european car company at the moment - it is a different problem to that affecting the US.

The swedes bailed out Volvo and Saab (who are owned by the failing big 3!), to the tune of £2.3bn earlier this year. No predictions of doom there though! (linky)
    I don't think it's enough, 4x4's sales were in decline even before this as people simply don't want this sort of thing anymore.

If Honda can't sell cars no-one can.

Leave a comment:

• HeliCraig
    replied
    Originally posted by HeliCraig View Post
    Freelander TD4 gives 37.7MPG combined cycle. Range Rover TDV8 gives 25.4MPG - and with some hybrid stuff on the way, I think these are pretty respectible really, given the luxury.

The problem is people with idea's and perceptions deeply rooted in the past. JLR is no different from any other european car company at the moment - it is a different problem to that affecting the US.

The swedes bailed out Volvo and Saab (who are owned by the failing big 3!), to the tune of £2.3bn earlier this year. No predictions of doom there though! (linky)

Good work!
    And lets not forget the Jag XJ from Top Gear last week!

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    WHS

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    As I said in the first page, you might as well offer the money to a british based group to buy it over.

You are never going to see the cash again so you might as well give it to a UK company.

Leave a comment:

• HeliCraig
    replied
    So when do you think people will start buying big thirsty luxury cars again, middle of next year??

Originally posted by Bear View Post
    That's my plan!!
    Good work!

Leave a comment:

• Bear
    replied
    So when do you think people will start buying big thirsty luxury cars again, middle of next year??
    That's my plan!!

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
    WHS, although you wouldn't have realised that from the media coverage of the acquisition by Tata. It's as though the media wanted the business to be failure.
    The media have done this to other "great" british companies before though. Marconi being one that springs to mind

Leave a comment:

Working...
X