• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Present for Male Teacher"

Collapse

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    We're all fliped. I'm fliped. You're fliped. The whole country is fliped. It's the biggest flip-up ever. We're all completely fliped.
    -- Sir Richard Mottram
    Another Sir Richard [Branson this time] said much the same today:

Richard Branson says economy is "f****d"

A miserable lot these Sir Richard's

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    I wish my teacher's used nice canes like these, instead of the pathetic excuses for bamboo sticks they used to keep us under control.
    My head teacher was an ex-Indian Army colonel, and malefactors had to choose from a collection of bamboo canes he kept in a hollowed out elephant's foot. The idea was to avoid one that had split ..

As for the Chrissie present, hard to say. It depends how much you (Pogle) want to spend and how much you know of the teacher's tastes and personal interests (and weaknesses - booze for example wouldn't be good if they're a borderline alkie!)

How about a brace of DVDs? For example, the BBC Shakespeare set (probably a bit pricey though, but might be worth checking - you never know with all these discounts), or a recent BBC documentary.

edit: I did a quick check, and the 38-DVD set of BBC Shakespeare is available for £96 direct from the BBC Shop, and about £120 from Amazon.
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 17 December 2008, 21:23.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    A teacher ?

How about a cane ?

Not just any old cane however.

There are some real nice ones on this site. NSFW

I wish my teacher's used nice canes like these, instead of the pathetic excuses for bamboo sticks they used to keep us under control.
    There's nothing like a nice speculum to give your teacher that certain message...

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by dwm009 View Post
    Here here!
    Where? Where?

Hear, hear is an expression used as a short repeated form of hear ye and hear him. It represents a listener's agreement with the point being made by a speaker.

It was originally an imperative for directing attention to speakers, and has since been used, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, as "the regular form of cheering in the House of Commons", with many purposes depending on the intonation of its user.[1] It is often incorrectly spelled "here here", especially on websites.[2]

The phrase hear him, hear him! was used in Parliament since the late 1600s, and had been reduced to hear! or hear, hear! by the late 1700s. The verb hear had earlier been used in the King James Bible as a command for others to listen.[1]

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    A teacher ?

How about a cane ?

Not just any old cane however.

There are some real nice ones on this site. NSFW

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    A bonsai tree?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    Hi, I would like to get my daughters teacher a Christmas present. He is a bloke,
    my daughter really likes him and has worked very hard this term, so I felt like saying thank you.

Any ideas? women teachers are easy to get stuff for, but I'm not so sure about a youngish male teacher. My back up present is a bottle of Jamesons.
    Can anyone suggest anything better?

Keep it clean!
    Something handmade is always appreciated more than anything that you can buy - coming from a family of teachers, they are the things that they keep / enjoy most rather than something that you just go and buy.

Wine / whisky / chocolates are nice, if you want to go that route. Picture frame?

This Christmas, for example, my daughter has made her teachers some tree decorations. Granted, she is 5, but she spent ages thinking about each design and making each one special for each teacher.

Leave a comment:

• BrianSnail
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Because we’re a bunch of bored people sitting in offices with no other meaning to our daily lives than getting paid as much money as possible for as little effort as possible.
    Here here!

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Oh pleeese he's my daughters teacher and very nice but looks about 12!
    Why does EVERYTHING on this forum come down to shagging??
    Because we’re a bunch of bored people sitting in offices with no other meaning to our daily lives than getting paid as much money as possible for as little effort as possible.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Men.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Yes, but we're still trying to figure out what the thought is nudge nudge

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by deano View Post
    It is the thought that counts.
    Yes, but we're still trying to figure out what the thought is nudge nudge

Leave a comment:

• deano
    replied
    We had the same scenario Pogle. Fairly uinimaginitive but he got a bottle of fairly decent wine.

It is the thought that counts.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    An apple.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Well liked teachers get a truck load of booze and choccies at Christmas (well my wife does).

That said, she came home with a couple of nice outdoorsy things this week(she runs the DoE award scheme).

Being for a bloke though, one of those beer selection boxes will probably do nicely...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X