• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "France has fallen - La Chute continuez ...."

Collapse

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Ah - dont know ?

Well from the advanced study of gamma rays in space they can now detect the precise location of a suitcase nuke - ie a dirty bomb - by the gamma ray signature that device generates - that could save all of our necks one day.

Perhaps it already has.
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 10 December 2008, 16:42.

Leave a comment:

• Pickle2
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    Didnt have a scooby on that one Expat.

Another clue re gamma rays - is of vital importance to anti-terror squads.
    Is it a "well thumbed koran" detector?

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    How to spoil a really good story! Anyway it was never used until after the patent expired.

Didnt have a scooby on that one Expat.

Another clue re gamma rays - is of vital importance to anti-terror squads.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I thought they practiced the bombing technique during the Spanish civil war?
    Indeed, Guernica, a small market town, was flattened by the Luftwaffe, for fun.

I've seen the painting and the exhibition. Once you've seen it, it sticks in the mind.

Wonderful remark from Picasso. A German officer in Paris showed him a postcard of his Guernica painting and asked 'did you do that?' To which Picasso replied 'no, you did it'.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I recall reading that the orginal Nazi plan for France was a tradional slug fest - however a LuftWaffe pilot who had this plan had to make an emergency landing near Mechlen in Bellebum - this breach of plan caused the Nazis to rethink and adopt the Blitzkeirg - makes you wonder what would have happened if that pilot didnt make that landing.

I thought they practiced the bombing technique during the Spanish civil war?

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post
    It wasn't her, it was one of her lovers, who worked for a research group, that passed her the idea so she could patent it, and they'd get rich.
    How to spoil a really good story! Anyway it was never used until after the patent expired.

Leave a comment:

• Purple Dalek
    replied
    Am reading the excellent "The Guns of August" by Tuchman.

You got me on the question.

My favourite WWII trivia Q: who invented frequency-hopping in WWII as a way to keep radio transmissions secret?
    It wasn't her, it was one of her lovers, who worked for a research group, that passed her the idea so she could patent it, and they'd get rich.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    I must say I am impressed by your comprehensive knowledge of WW11.

Heres a wee question - Which practical spin-off breakthrough, related to Millitary Intelligence, arose as a consequnce of the European Space Agency's research into Gamma Rays ?
    Am reading the excellent "The Guns of August" by Tuchman.

You got me on the question.

My favourite WWII trivia Q: who invented frequency-hopping in WWII as a way to keep radio transmissions secret?

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    The French stuck to the plan they used successfully in WWI: in 1914, having agreed that in the event of German invasion Britain would send help, the Foreign Secretary asked his French counterpart how many British soldiers France would need. "One" said the Frenchman, "as long as he is killed by the Germans".

I must say I am impressed by your comprehensive knowledge of WW11.

Heres a wee question - Which practical spin-off breakthrough, related to Millitary Intelligence, arose as a consequnce of the European Space Agency's research into Gamma Rays ?

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    I recall reading that the orginal Nazi plan for France was a tradional slug fest - however a LuftWaffe pilot who had this plan had to make an emergency landing near Mechlen in Bellebum - this breach of plan caused the Nazis to rehink and adopt the Blitzkeirg - makes you wonder what would have happened if that piolt didnt make that landing.
    The French stuck to the plan they used successfully in WWI: in 1914, having agreed that in the event of German invasion Britain would send help, the Foreign Secretary asked his French counterpart how many British soldiers France would need. "One" said the Frenchman, "as long as he is killed by the Germans".

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    In the vague sense of sending in overwhelming force able to travel fast, yes maybe. De Gaulle (and to an extent Liddell Hart) developed a theory and its application using modern mechanised transport and armaments, to do that while protecting the flanks of a narrow advancing force with the men and materiel being advanced. The Germans saw that that was exactly what they needed to get to Paris à grande vitesse.

The French should have seen that coming. Why do you think they never build good straight railway lines or even roads directly to the east? Good transport links outre-Rhin was the last thing they ever wanted.
    I recall reading that the orginal Nazi plan for France was a tradional slug fest - however a LuftWaffe pilot who had this plan had to make an emergency landing near Mechlen in Bellebum - this breach of plan caused the Nazis to rethink and adopt the Blitzkeirg - makes you wonder what would have happened if that pilot didnt make that landing.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    This is a good read.

Well, I liked it anyway

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    They added the critical innovation of siphoning off some force on each side of the advance, to protect the flank, all the way along: so that the main highway remained open for continuous advance of more forces.
    Ah those clever Teutons.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Blitzkreig refers to the method of warfare whereby rather than massing on a broad front to take enemy territory inch by inch, highly mobile and fast spearheads go deep into enemy territory, striking behind enemy lines, spreading confusion and leaving enemy strong points behind them to be mopped up by slower troops.
    As such the Mongols with their horse squadrons did indeed use an early form.
    The Germans perfected it for modern armour and planes.
    They added the critical innovation of siphoning off some force on each side of the advance, to protect the flank, all the way along: so that the main highway remained open for continuous advance of more forces.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post
    The mongols had tanks and stuka dive bombers? yeah right....
    Blitzkreig refers to the method of warfare whereby rather than massing on a broad front to take enemy territory inch by inch, highly mobile and fast spearheads go deep into enemy territory, striking behind enemy lines, spreading confusion and leaving enemy strong points behind them to be mopped up by slower troops.
    As such the Mongols with their horse squadrons did indeed use an early form.
    The Germans perfected it for modern armour and planes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X