• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Does anyone not have a plan B?"

Collapse

• TimberWolf
    replied
    So is working on a plan B, plan A or plan B (or other letter)

Leave a comment:

• Shimano105
    replied
    Plan A - contract

Plan B - perm

Gives me the incentive to work on plan A.

Leave a comment:

• ghl
    replied
    Plan A: Do the important things in life - loz around at home, spend time with the missus and my little boy, read the papers, watch footy, travel, see the world.

Plan B: go contracting to earn money for Plan A.

So far this year: 19 weeks on Plan A, 30 weeks on Plan B. A good mix methinks.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    plan a contract, earn money, retire

plan b - take time off every so often to go travelling and then go back to plan a

plan a isn't working out so well, took time off for plan b and ended up on bench after coming back from travelling

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    my plan B was tulip so it's back to plan A with a bit of added insurance to cover IR35...

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Some people are under the misconception that buying a £50 off the shelf LTD company in order to avoid tax has somehow given them the entrepreneurial skills of Richard Branson.

Harsh .. but fair !

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    I don't have a plan B as such. I see contracting as that once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that I've been given, to earn more than I probably ever will again in my life. It's only been a couple of years so far but I'm hoping to get another couple of years and then I'm alright Jack.

If anything, my plan B has been to save and invest, which is where all of my surplus income goes. The aim is that by the age of 40 I'll be able to kick back and not have to worry about the next contract, i.e. work to play only.

Leave a comment:

• Crossroads
    replied
    As per Fitz and Expat...Plan B needs to be Plan A to succeed.

I have my Plan B - contracting - and it has cleared the mortgage on two houses and bought me a few nice toys by my thirties (I know, I know, I'm a late started, I actually spent a good few years as a permie getting some experience first).

What I don't have is the creativity or the balls to come up with a Plan A and then risk my hard earned on it.

I guess my Plan A is retire, with probably some meaningless part time work to pay for beer.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Fitz is right: if you think of it as Plan B, it's a loser plan from the start. Only if contracting is just your Plan B will the other plan have any chance of working.

It's my Plan A and I don't have any doubt about it: even at its worst, anything else short of retirement is even worse, and certainly less well paid.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I have no plan B.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    I've not got a plan B. All I've got is a plan A. Contract. Retire.
    Exactly my plan too!!

Leave a comment:

• coultog
    replied
    My plan B has been going for three years now.

I sell cheap chinese junk online. The business has just moved into a 500SQFT unit and we now employ a couple of part timers. When my contracts come to an end, I work on that full time, while looking for the next role.

Things are going well, just not well enough to leave contracting

Leave a comment:

• NetwkSupport
    replied
    Wow! I had an idea like that, but binned it as it was stupid
    She spent over 100k of her own cash on the stupid idea...

Leave a comment:

• NetwkSupport
    replied
    My plan B is to get a job in B&Q. Not much of a plan I agree, but better than starving. Just.
    They might not be recruiting if the downturn in the house building and decorating industry further declines.....

I reckon good plan b's are studying for jobs for the after effects of the downturn:

Counsellor
    Debt Councellor
    Debt Advisor
    Debt Collector/Baliff
    Etc....

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by NetwkSupport View Post
    Like the Shuc (The shower holder upper)

http://www.shuc.com/
    Wow! I had an idea like that, but binned it as it was stupid