• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Got kids between 1986-2003?"

Collapse

• bobhope
    replied
    To bring it back on topic.

Rushed (sort of) home yesterday to look up the details for 2002/3. Tax credit already given. Makes sense, I filled out the self-assessment form at the time and there was a tick-box for "do you have kids?"

So, I guess this only applies to people who are PAYE, have the wrong tax code and did not fill out a self-assessment form.

Can't imagine that applying to many people here.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Referring to parents as if they are leeches which you personally are subsidising
    My original post mentioned nothing of the sort, though I agree a subsequent post did amount to the same. If I gave offense, then I am sorry.

I'm looking at this in unemotive terms.

Going back to the original post, I was trying to point out that if there is free money being handed out to those who had offspring, why is there not free money to those who do not ?

It's purely conjecture to say "Ah but yes, my son/daughter may become a business leader, employer of people, doctor, nurse, carer, blah blah blah."

What is not conjecture is that aforesaid being is yet another mouth to feed, yet another consumer of public-funded services, yet another strain on society.

However, the Government see fit to apportion additional finances to support this being.

Therefore, why not reward those who choose to remain childless (or have fewer children), since by virtue they will not be burdening society more ?

Obviously once they hit 16 they can go and get a job (though I think some can work at a younger age under certain conditions), so they can start to self-support anyway.

It just seems at odds when people criticise the "Nanny State" in one breath, and yet take the State's money in the next for their wee bairns.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    These selfish childless couples should pay far more tax than selfless parents, who are acting as national benefactors.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    Case in point...spoke to a chap last night who had come back from his local. He was telling me about his mate's partner. She's got 17 children from 5 different fathers. (He's the fifth partner).

Suffice to say, the money they make from their children is no small amount, and allows them to live at the taxpayer's expense in their local every night.
    Neither he nor his partner need to work.
    Yeah, I think you might have taken a slightly extreme example there.

We've got four children, and one has left home now (he's in the Royal Navy, which I guess you're subsidising too). So, standard Child Benefit which everyone gets adds up to 43.90 a week for the other three. We get free education, though one of mine is in an independent fee-paying school, and we get free dentist treatment but none of them have needed any work done so far. Free prescriptions, which they probably use once a year for the default GP issue full course of antibiotics for some harmless infection they've picked up.

The rest is paid for by us personally. Sure, it's our choice, but the benefit to society of a well brought up, well educated and healthy citizen for really very little public investment is obvious. Referring to parents as if they are leeches which you personally are subsidising seems to miss the point completely.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Yeah, not having to look after kids is your reward.
    Fair point ! I'll concede that one !

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    Where do you think all the people that serve you on a daily basis come from? From delivering your local paper or manning the tills at the petrol station to flying the plane you go on holiday in or supplying your gas and electricity. They were all children once.

How were they educated to a level where they could do their jobs? Who got them to school every day and paid for their school uniform, food and any number of other extras that come up every day when you're raising children?

The reward you get is the society around you, but you get it cheaper than the people that actually bother to have children do.

ooo nice comeback

Leave a comment:

• basshead
    replied
    Nice.

Do those of us who choose not to have kids get rewarded to ?
    Yeah, not having to look after kids is your reward.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    but you get it cheaper than the people that actually bother to have children do.
    I'd think I'd get it a lot cheaper if a portion of my taxes wasn't taken to subsidise those that do.

I've got no problem contributing a portion of my taxes to pay for public services.

However, I feel a trifle peeved having to subsidise other people's reproductive choices.

Case in point...spoke to a chap last night who had come back from his local. He was telling me about his mate's partner. She's got 17 children from 5 different fathers. (He's the fifth partner).

Suffice to say, the money they make from their children is no small amount, and allows them to live at the taxpayer's expense in their local every night.
    Neither he nor his partner need to work.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Nice.

After all, we don't claim child benefits.
    We don't use extra NHS services for the children.
    We don't claim a pleothera of other child related perks.

All of the above which typically cost the Government money.

Can we have a rebate ?
    Where do you think all the people that serve you on a daily basis come from? From delivering your local paper or manning the tills at the petrol station to flying the plane you go on holiday in or supplying your gas and electricity. They were all children once.

How were they educated to a level where they could do their jobs? Who got them to school every day and paid for their school uniform, food and any number of other extras that come up every day when you're raising children?

The reward you get is the society around you, but you get it cheaper than the people that actually bother to have children do.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Nice.

After all, we don't claim child benefits.
    We don't use extra NHS services for the children.
    We don't claim a pleothera of other child related perks.

All of the above which typically cost the Government money.

Can we have a rebate ?

Leave a comment:

• lightng
    replied
    Cool Thread. Thanks for sharing. Rang tax office and I'm eligible. Woo hoo!

The money is worth the same as 10 weeks contracting up north. Hmmm maybe my agent is ripping me off.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Very useful thread - thanks

I case anyone else uses the form above there is no address : I phoned and was told :-

HMRC
    Castle House
    31, Lisbon Street,
    Leeds
    LS1 4SA

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    ta muchly

Leave a comment:

• chris79
    replied