• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I don’t really give a tulip any more"

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I think TheDailyWTF had something like that. The coders and testers worked as a team whereby the coder would fix a bug but leave some small aspect unresolved to be re-raised, or the coder would introduce tiny unimportant bugs so the tester could catch them.
    That reminds me of the lass who was once testing an app that I was developing. She was extremely devious with the tests she devised, and I entered into the spirit of the competition by refusing to be beat. The end result was probably the most rock solid app that company had ever produced. Job satisfaction indeed

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    You evil bastard.
    keeps people on their toes

actually a "bonus fund" could be established.
    testers are paid out of the fund for every bug found
    anything left is paid to the developers

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    What they should have done is taken the bonus out of the programmers pay
    You evil bastard.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post
    There was something I was reading the other day about the MVC pattern and thought how very true.

When was the last time you saw the MVC pattern implemented correctly? (That you didn't code up yourself, that is)
    Isn't that why things like Apache and Spring exist? Or do lots of projects forbid using 'evil open source'
    code?

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    I once worked at a place which had the amazingly stupid policy of paying testers a bonus for every bug found.
    What they should have done is taken the bonus out of the programmers pay

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I once worked at a place which had the amazingly stupid policy of paying testers a bonus for every bug found. Of course, one bug can very quickly be made into five if you find other screens or routines that access the same piece of code, and some people actually avoided reporting bugs in early test phases in the knowledge that they would grow out to much more bugs later on.

Eventually, having paid out some mid-range saloon car sized bonuses and seeing the stuff in the car park, the CIO decided to appoint a manager who knew something about testing. Party over.
    I think TheDailyWTF had something like that. The coders and testers worked as a team whereby the coder would fix a bug but leave some small aspect unresolved to be re-raised, or the coder would introduce tiny unimportant bugs so the tester could catch them.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
    one problem I consistently have as a tester is that I have to be constantly raiseing defects to prove that I am working. So to keep the numpties happy all defects no matter how minor are logged so that there is an audit trail. Would be quicker and easier to just have a quick chat with the dev to get most fixed but I have to appear to be doing lots to earn my money hence lots of bugs raised no matter what priority they are....
    I once worked at a place which had the amazingly stupid policy of paying testers a bonus for every bug found. Of course, one bug can very quickly be made into five if you find other screens or routines that access the same piece of code, and some people actually avoided reporting bugs in early test phases in the knowledge that they would grow out to much more bugs later on.

Eventually, having paid out some mid-range saloon car sized bonuses and seeing the stuff in the car park, the CIO decided to appoint a manager who knew something about testing. Party over.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Finished my one liner, well it turned out to be 2 lines.

I did a JSP page the other day, and just been told I missed a full stop, I changed it in front of the BA and checked it in, they are raising a defect just now on test director, the mail should be hitting my inbox any minute.

Anyway, that is me till Tuesday, pub lunch in 2 hours.
    one problem I consistently have as a tester is that I have to be constantly raiseing defects to prove that I am working. So to keep the numpties happy all defects no matter how minor are logged so that there is an audit trail. Would be quicker and easier to just have a quick chat with the dev to get most fixed but I have to appear to be doing lots to earn my money hence lots of bugs raised no matter what priority they are....

Leave a comment:

• Purple Dalek
    replied
    I have a one liner todo today.

With all the associated crap that goes with it I should be finished it at 10:00, I will ask for more work where I will be told "The planning meeting is on Tuesday, you will have to wait till then"
    Clearcase admin: head stream, rebase started

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    changed it in front of the BA and checked it in, they are raising a defect just now on test director, the mail should be hitting my inbox any minute.
    That'll give you an excuse to delay do ing anything about it for a bit longer. Ask them to show you which acceptance criteria is affected by the full stop before you repair it. Tell them you need reference to teh applicable paragraph in the functional design. You'll be complying with 'best practises' and it'll give you plenty of time for a good pub lunch.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Finished my one liner, well it turned out to be 2 lines.

I did a JSP page the other day, and just been told I missed a full stop, I changed it in front of the BA and checked it in, they are raising a defect just now on test director, the mail should be hitting my inbox any minute.

Anyway, that is me till Tuesday, pub lunch in 2 hours.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I have a one liner todo today.

With all the associated crap that goes with it I should be finished it at 10:00, I will ask for more work where I will be told "The planning meeting is on Tuesday, you will have to wait till then"

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied

Bored out my tits.
    Tits would never ever bore me

I would like to congratulate Mich on starting an excellent post, I think the majority of us share his views.

Same tulip different client.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I have to be honest I could probably do my weeks work in about 4 hours and that is not my fault, the team I am in just create that environment.

"can I have a DB password to finish this stored proc?"

"you will have to wait a few days for that"

"OK, do you have anything for me to do?"

"can you wait for the planning meeting tomorrow"

Bored out my tits.
    At clientco I assign 2 days for a 1 line change cos of all the stupid red tape. And they have armies of "SOX" w**kers chasing this stuff up

Leave a comment:

• Purple Dalek
    replied
    There was something I was reading the other day about the MVC pattern and thought how very true.

When was the last time you saw the MVC pattern implemented correctly? (That you didn't code up yourself, that is)

And it got me to thinking.

When was the last time you saw a thread safe singleton pattern? And there's more...

Is it me, or does anyone else seem to go from contract to contract fixing and rewriting utter crap some monkeys have written between games of bulltulip bingo?

Then when you're just about to get onto some interesting stuff, another monkey comes along and ****s it all back up again? Usually in the "oh we don't want to use XYZ because we're going to rationalise on only one tool." That one tool being only able to do the task required if you essentially rewrite it or buy some hideously expensive library. Then you go back to that client 5 years later and find they're stuck with a now unsupported version of the tool/library, you pull the old abandoned one from a CD and it performs more reliably and with less resource utilisation and the bosses think you're a god damned genius...

You find you just don't care to argue with them. Let 'em get on with it. As long as my time-sheet gets signed, I just fail to care any longer. Which is the attitude the project managers appear to prefer.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X