• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Permie role offered, how much should I ask for?"

Collapse

• w3bdEw
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    Hmm... The more you talk about the role the less junior it sounds. Don't sell yourself short and end up feeling overworked and underpaid. And take note of the massive drop in Net pay to PAYE.
    It is project lead most of time and team some time, but good thing is that it is not 'code monkey' which I would hate. Overworked and Underpaid, you guys are giving me very good ideas and words for negotiation.

I am comparing net figures when thinking about it all.

Many Thanks

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Hmm... The more you talk about the role the less junior it sounds. Don't sell yourself short and end up feeling overworked and underpaid. And take note of the massive drop in Net pay to PAYE.

Leave a comment:

• jim2406
    replied
    That sounds like a good environment to work in.

Leave a comment:

• w3bdEw
    replied
    Originally posted by jim2406 View Post
    If you're going perm don't just be motivated by money, try to get some assurances from their end as to where the job will lead IMO.

You don't want to take 35k and become a code monkey doing the same thing every day for the next 3 years. I've seen it happen to people and now they'll struggle to get a job elsewhere. Better to get assurance that you will be trained in a team lead role, etc... try to get timescales on when things will happen too, rather than just a fluffy 'yeah we'll do that next year'...

as for money..

is it a .NET job or a LAMP job? (or both)

the going rate differs for each. .NET people generally get paid more.
    I am only questioning about money as I am happy with other pros.
    The role is based on projects, I have a LAMP project at the moment as a lead. I did C# in a team a month ago. So this is LAMP or .NET role (one at a time). This is exactly what I need, challenging lead role in different languages and interesting projects. Very good opportunity of growth.

Clientco is a direct key supplier to Gov as well as being part of big "in profit" group. So job security is not an issue (pension thrown in etc). Training is currently on very low but allowed where necessary, so it would not be hard to get one if I step up to take responsibility of a big project.
    Last edited by w3bdEw; 4 December 2008, 09:59.

Leave a comment:

• AZZIK
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Amazing how easy it is for people in IT to get pigeon-holed.
    WHS

Leave a comment:

• w3bdEw
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    £27/hr would only work ...
    Originally posted by chris79 View Post
    Personally speaking if I were in your position ...
    Thanks for your input, much appreciated. I agree with your points chris79.

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Never, ever, ever start a negotiation ...
    Absolutely - and principled negotiation, never positional bargaining, is the way forward.
    Good advice on negotiation, Moscow Mule and realityhack, Thanks

BTW - clientco hire ppl fitting your description (Junior LAMP dev) for about £40-45k permie (London rates so deduct 'weighting' of around 3.5k).
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I'd estimate the London adjustment might be closer to 20% or 25%. For someone only working a couple of years as a standard developer, £30-35K sounds pretty reasnable outside the south-east.
    Trouble is I am outside of "outside of London"
    28-35 is the usual permie roles available.

I am thinking about taking Moscow Mule's advice on negotiating.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by jim2406 View Post
    If you're going perm don't just be motivated by money, try to get some assurances from their end as to where the job will lead IMO.

You don't want to take 35k and become a code monkey doing the same thing every day for the next 3 years. I've seen it happen to people and now they'll struggle to get a job elsewhere. Better to get assurance that you will be trained in a team lead role, etc... try to get timescales on when things will happen too, rather than just a fluffy 'yeah we'll do that next year'...

as for money..

Amazing how easy it is for people in IT to get pigeon-holed.

Leave a comment:

• jim2406
    replied

as for money..

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I'd estimate the London adjustment might be closer to 20% or 25%. For someone only working a couple of years as a standard developer, £30-35K sounds pretty reasnable outside the south-east.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Never, ever, ever start a negotiation with what you think you'll end up with.

Start at £35k. Pick a number you'll be happy with and be prepared to be knocked down...
    Absolutely - and principled negotiation, never positional bargaining, is the way forward.

BTW - clientco hire ppl fitting your description (Junior LAMP dev) for about £40-45k permie (London rates so deduct 'weighting' of around 3.5k).

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Never, ever, ever start a negotiation with what you think you'll end up with.

Start at £35k. Pick a number you'll be happy with and be prepared to be knocked down...

Leave a comment:

• chris79
    replied
    Personally speaking if I were in your position I would take the work and not rock the boat unless you have 'other options'. Is it really worth the risk of losing the chance given the current state of affairs if it's the only option available to you right now? Ok you can earn a bit more but would it mean having to travel further, stay away, etc?

Take the job, collect the money, then make up for it when times are good. If anything it's further stuff on your CV for the near future.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    £27/hr would only work out at just over £50K/year. So trying to get more than £30K full-time sounds disproportionate to me.
    Sounds like £27K is about the minimum that would make sense so you could ask for £32-33K as being 20% above this. Or you could say £35K and be open to negotiate quickly if they appear shocked.

Leave a comment:

• w3bdEw
    replied
    Originally posted by Svalbaard View Post
    Just be aware that as a permie you will be tied into a set notice period and as such you may not be able to take advantage of contracts as they come up.

Also, you may have to have to start jumping through all those permie hoops such as performance reviews and such just to keep your job.

On the upside though you can take advantage on any training and a pension (although it will be worth f*** all when you need it.

Good luck.
    Good points, Cheers.
    This contract waited for my 1 month notice at last place, so hoping for the best.

Leave a comment:

• Svalbaard
    replied
    Just be aware that as a permie you will be tied into a set notice period and as such you may not be able to take advantage of contracts as they come up.

Also, you may have to have to start jumping through all those permie hoops such as performance reviews and such just to keep your job.

On the upside though you can take advantage on any training and a pension (although it will be worth f*** all when you need it.

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X