• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Boomed - Welsh egg-chasers beat Australia"

Collapse

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    Originally posted by Stan.goodvibes View Post
    Yes, that is correct, and
    No. Have a look at Englands form after they won the World Cup. They were the best team in the world for about 2 weeks after the tournament.
    There is also the small matter of England being widely acknowledged as being the best team in the world for the 3-4 years before winning the world cup too....when Kiwis and Aussies were telling us that meant nothing unless we won the world cup.

Funny how the story changes when it's the kiwis or the aussies that's involved isn't it?

Leave a comment:

• Stan.goodvibes
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    didn't they lose to SA at home in Dunedin and get well beaten by Australia in Sydney?
    Yes, that is correct, and

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    The one with the most pressure, where ability alone is not enough and top mental strength is required?
    The ABs suffered two horrendous defeats, at critical times during each respective tournament. That they managed to pick themselves up and from that and go on to win both titles convincingly says more about their resolve and mental discipline than winning 4 games in a row at the World Cup. In fact thats what made this year such a great year for the ABs.

errr, wouldn't that make them the be.......
    No. Have a look at Englands form after they won the World Cup. They were the best team in the world for about 2 weeks after the tournament. And are South Africa the best team in the world at the moment? Um, no. I'd rather the ABs keep their World #1 ranking based on games played and points scored than playing average to mediocre for 4 years then winning the World Cup before heading back to mediocrity again...

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
    South Africa, second favourites, won the last tournament without playing, let alone beating, the favourites or third favourites.
    That's only because, as usual, the favourites choked before SA had a chance to play them.

That's a fair point though.

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    The last rugby world cup was had quite a few competitive and interesting games, however having watched many world cups I believe it was an exception. I really can't see what purpose is served by games like New Zealand versus Japan where the Japanese lose by more than 100 points.

Here's my recommendation for how the pools should have been organised for next time.

Take the teams in order of their ranking, and assign 5 teams to each pool. So the top five teams will all be in Pool A. For the knockout stages, allow 4 teams to qualify from Pool A, 2 From B and 1 each from the rest. Add a rule that in a knock-out game between 2 teams that were in the same pool, the pool result comes ahead of extra-time as a tie-breaker.

If all matches go according to world rankings, this scheme should ensure that only 2 matches in the whole tournament would be between teams more than 5 places apart in the rankings.

No team will be able to win the tournament without beating almost every other serious contender. (South Africa, second favourites, won the last tournament without playing, let alone beating, the favourites or third favourites.)

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Yeah but as I have pointed out in other rugby threads - the World Cup winner is not necessarily the best rugby team in the world, just the best at that tournament.
    You mean the tournament to decide the best team in the world?

The one where the Webb-Ellis Trophy is presented to the winners?

The one where none of the opposing teams are rebuilding?

The one with the most pressure, where ability alone is not enough and top mental strength is required?

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    Yeah but as I have pointed out in other rugby threads - the World Cup winner is not necessarily the best rugby team in the world, just the best at that tournament.
    errr, wouldn't that make them the be.......

The ABs have thumped Oz and SA all over the park this year in the tri-nations and Blesdisloe and kicked all the Northern Hemisphere teams as well.
    didn't they lose to SA at home in Dunedin and get well beaten by Australia in Sydney?

Leave a comment:

• Stan.goodvibes
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Shame you have not won as many as Oz/SA though.....

The ABs have thumped Oz and SA all over the park this year in the tri-nations and Blesdisloe and kicked all the Northern Hemisphere teams as well. So, losing World Cup last year, winning everything this year = good result. I wouldn't have wanted it to be the other way round.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    Yes and I loathe Max Boyce as a result.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    As an English rugby fan brought up in South Wales...
    You poor sod. Not in the seventies I hope...

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    Originally posted by tay View Post
    Ahh the ignorant football fan returns!
    Come on, you can do better than that.

As an English rugby fan brought up in South Wales I expect a higher standard of banter and insult.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    I wouldnt say england have choked, they have been rubbish at rugby for so long that they never go in as favourites. you have to actually be good to be favourites, england therefore never qualify.
    Agreed. It is a minority sport in England, played by toffs and big blokes who aren't much use at footy. We are never favourites so we can never be accused of choking, only gloriously overachieving.

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    Very impressive in the fairly meaningless mid-World Cup development 'Tests' though. I thought NZ deserved to be so well protexcted by the referee as well.
    Ahh the ignorant football fan returns!

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    And choked in the rest.

I wouldnt say england have choked, they have been rubbish at rugby for so long that they never go in as favourites. you have to actually be good to be favourites, england therefore never qualify.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    The UK is so used to being losers, they take joy in Aus winning...
    Wales

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    Very impressive in the fairly meaningless mid-World Cup development 'Tests' though. I thought NZ deserved to be so well protexcted by the referee as well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X