• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Benched and current climate"

Collapse

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by Liability View Post
    Ill sign up! As long as you can be my teacher as you'll no doubt be benched based on the aforementioned. Deal?
    I'll

Close, but no cigar.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    I think you should make that plan A and drop all IT contracting immediately

Let me know who your current client is, I'll offer to take over your contract
    Certainly. Before I do, however, I'll need two references to ensure you're a suitable candidate.

Leave a comment:

• Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    I wonder if a Plan B of offering English lessons to illiterate contractors would be worth considering...
    Ill sign up! As long as you can be my teacher as you'll no doubt be benched based on the aforementioned. Deal?

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    I wonder if a Plan B of offering English lessons to illiterate contractors would be worth considering...
    I think you should make that plan A and drop all IT contracting immediately

Let me know who your current client is, I'll offer to take over your contract
    Last edited by Spacecadet; 27 November 2008, 16:20. Reason: Not supposed to be in bad apostrophe mode

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    this is my point - the pedantic english teachers remind me of the tulipe Ive had to work with where they assume they need to get paid a good rate but in all honesty are no longer good at their jobs.

Next year will be about who is better - its simple. Similar to 2001 - if you werent good you were on the Bench - if you was you wasnt! Simple.

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied

I'm just trying to double my market penetration
    *short drum roll*

*cymbal*

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Xenophon View Post

Bold move, mate.

Going bi is a big step, but if it pays the bills, then fair enough.

Remember to rubber up.

I'm just trying to double my market penetration

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Luckily for me BI is a fall back plan

Bold move, mate.

Going bi is a big step, but if it pays the bills, then fair enough.

Remember to rubber up.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
    Mind you - rates were bad there BA £20-24 per hour, Senior PM £38
    Most BA and BI roles I've seen advertised over the past couple of weeks are in that range.
    Luckily for me BI is a fall back plan

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
    Your apostrophe malarkey really has to stop!

I'll restrict it to any conversations involving Sasguru and his eagle apostrophe seeking eyes

Leave a comment:

• zara_backdog
    replied
    Is "they" the agency's?
    Agencies and Incat who are Tata's IT ( they are an IT Outsource company)

Mind you - rates were bad there BA £20-24 per hour, Senior PM £38

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    Anyone waiting for "things to improve" in Feb is in for a big shock.

The only thing that's going to "improve" is the rate at which things are going to turn to s**t.
    Do you think so? What do you base this on? Hunch?
    Yes, I've got a hunch the new budgets in the next financial year are going to leave people wishing they could hang on to the scraps of last year.

Many things haven't shaped-up yet. The long-term outlook will become clearer next year and I don't think it will be good news -- how can it with tax rises and debt on the way? The result will be massive unemployment and a full-blown recession.

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Is "they" the agency's?
    Your apostrophe malarkey really has to stop!

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
    Yeap - There were also recruiting for several BA's at Solihull plant, two of which I were in the running for. I has previously got a role with JLR last month, but just before the contracts were due to be signed the job got put on hold". Stange, they were still advertising roles up to yesterday.
    Is "they" the agency's?

Leave a comment:

• Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    There will still always be jobs coming up, but it's going to be the best people that get them.

There are quite a few usless gits I have worked with over the years who I cannot wait seeing dumped, people that should not be in IT getting a good daily rate.
    this is my point - the pedantic english teachers remind me of the tulipe Ive had to work with where they assume they need to get paid a good rate but in all honesty are no longer good at their jobs.

Next year will be about who is better - its simple. Similar to 2001 - if you werent good you were on the Bench - if you was you wasnt! Simple.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X