• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Benched and current climate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone waiting for "things to improve" in Feb is in for a big shock.

The only thing that's going to "improve" is the rate at which things are going to turn to s**t.
    Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post

The only thing that's going to "improve" is the rate at which things are going to turn to s**t.
      Do you think so? What do you base this on? Hunch?

Comment

Originally posted by Liability View Post
        Do you think so? What do you base this on? Hunch?
        A hunch!? Have you been asleep at the wheel for 6 months or what?
        The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Agree - majority just need to hold out till Feb where things will get better and then obv the new Financial year...

Post of the day.
          Let me guess - you're under 35?
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
            A hunch!? Have you been asleep at the wheel for 6 months or what?
            Well it was obvious roles at the tail end of the year were going to get put on hold - but alot of companies have learned from previous periods that you dont just cull IT you make it more efficient. From all the companies I know of many are holding off taking people till mid to end Jan. Based on this - I envisage roles to be around in higher quantities now - but at maybe a lower rate. What I don't envisage is it getting any worse than now?

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post

I have a feeling you're right

Also I've heard it said there may be more economic trouble in the UK when the current swap line between the Federal Reserve and the Bank of England expires next April.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Well it was obvious roles at the tail end of the year were going to get put on hold - but alot of companies have learned from previous periods that you dont just cull IT you make it more efficient. From all the companies I know of many are holding off taking people till mid to end Jan. Based on this - I envisage roles to be around in higher quantities now - but at maybe a lower rate. What I don't envisage is it getting any worse than now?
                http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7752430.stm

About 850 agency workers are to lose their jobs at Jaguar Land Rover in the West Midlands and Warwickshire.

The IT and engineering staff at plants in Castle Bromwich, Solihull, Whitley, and Gaydon have been told their jobs will go by the end of the year.
                First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

Post of the day.
                  Let me guess - you're under 35?
                  Nearly! But I am confident Ill be in a role by then - guess it boils down to how good you are and your networking.

tulip people will always remain on the bench in tough times.

Comment

Nearly! But I am confident Ill be in a role by then - guess it boils down to how good you are and your networking.

You'll be fine™
                    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

I was speaking to a builder recently who's been around for quite a few years.

He's actually getting busier, he also made the observation that building quality goes up during down turns as the crap builders are weeded out
                      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                      X