• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "So RIP then Woolies & MFI"

Collapse

• gingerjedi
    replied
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7751714.stm

Don't worry... our saviour is at it again, it’s in the nations interest to preserve pick 'n' mix for all.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Don't try to deny that Rochdale's tragic. Nice countryside around there though.
    The bit i live in is ok - but there are large chunks which are horrible.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Dont forget out the RSD and Lurgh !

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    Oi!
    Don't try to deny that Rochdale's tragic. Nice countryside around there though.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    But all they sold was old tat. A lot of next-to-nothing equals not much.
    I am unaware of any business that benefits from widespread theft.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
    I worked for Woolies' IT dept in tragic Rochdale. Not terribly surprised they have bitten the dust, given that "shrinkage" (i.e. theft) was GIGANTIC across all stores and depots.
    But all they sold was old tat. A lot of next-to-nothing equals not much.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
    I worked for Woolies' IT dept in tragic Rochdale. Not terribly surprised they have bitten the dust, given that "shrinkage" (i.e. theft) was GIGANTIC across all stores and depots.
    Oi!

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
    Boots should go next.
    Can't really see that happening. Firstly they're still selling things that people want to buy, and secondly they're owned by a multi-billion pound private equity fund that's not going to let its investment collapse without a fight.
    Boots is always packed, though they don't sell much you can't buy in a supermarket and a lot of their trade is sandwiches these days. Could also see them doing well when people decide they no longer want to spend £10 on a bar of soap in the 'boutique' cosmetics shop next door.

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    Can't really see that happening. Firstly they're still selling things that people want to buy, and secondly they're owned by a multi-billion pound private equity fund that's not going to let its investment collapse without a fight.
    You should buy their preference shares then, they are paying a massive yield. No jest.

Leave a comment:

• BrianSnail
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    With the progress of travel one can now go up North for a cheap screw
    Fnar fnar!

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    In the good old days Woolies had lots of open trays where you could buy screws and similar really low cost things individually. It was really exciting in them days. All the joy went out of life once they started packaging things in tens.

With the progress of travel one can now go up North for a cheap screw

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by ace00 View Post
    Boots should go next.

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    Boots should go next.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    In the good old days Woolies had lots of open trays where you could buy screws and similar really low cost things individually. It was really exciting in them days. All the joy went out of life once they started packaging things in tens.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X