• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Momentous day

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Momentous day"

Collapse

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    In the last year there has been a lot of lobbying from union leaders, they knew a weak labour leader could be manipulated. Every week one of them was in the papers shouting off about taxing the fat cats. I think they are very much in control of Labour again.
    Nevermind the fat cats...its all show anyway. Most of them will shift their earnings into something else or offshore..and they have plenty of time to plan it.

What we need to get a hold of is the guys who claim a self-employed REVENUE of £1000pa and get away with it. Clearly someone in the UK can't live on that! Then there's all the unregistered businesses around paying no PAYE or tax.

Leave a comment:

• Tensai
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    Ah well, I'm off to Brazil tomorrow for 3 weeks. It's sad, but they will have a stronger economy than ours very soon, thanks to their huge amounts of oil and gas...
    ... but I take your point anyway

Leave a comment:

• Purple Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by bobhope View Post
    Why does the quote from Star Wars come to mind?

"Young fool. Only now, at the end, do you understand."
    Because it is way older than star wars, and talks of the human condition.

Leave a comment:

• Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    Yup, Putting in the application to either Australia or Canada (for the wife) soon. Their tax regimes will be less than ours by 2011. So I'll take the cuts now and scoot with the cash.

Some par of me thinks millions of other are thinking the same.
    New Zealand

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    Why does the quote from Star Wars come to mind?

"Young fool. Only now, at the end, do you understand."

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Ah well, I'm off to Brazil tomorrow for 3 weeks. It's sad, but they will have a stronger economy than ours very soon, thanks to the great British public that keep returning our squandering government. You reap what you sow.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    In the last year there has been a lot of lobbying from union leaders, they knew a weak labour leader could be manipulated. Every week one of them was in the papers shouting off about taxing the fat cats. I think they are very much in control of Labour again.
    Last edited by minestrone; 26 November 2008, 12:35.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by ace00 View Post
    I suspect he means that New Labour is buried, Old Labour arises Zombie like from the grave to eat all our brains kind of thing.
    Remember Labour's Shadow Budget of 1992? Old Labour (Brown and Darling) said tax the middle classes, help the poor. Blair said go easy on the middle classes, get elected: New Labour was born. Mandelson said let's be pragmatic; sided with Blair, good for career.

Now New Labour has had its day in the sun, and Old Labour hasn't forgotten.

Mandelson is back, pragmatic as ever. You know what floats.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by ace00 View Post
    I suspect he means that New Labour is buried, Old Labour arises Zombie like from the grave to eat all our brains kind of thing.
    You said it

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/c...ld-Labour.html

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Is there a fixed cut-off age or a fuzzy one dependent on other points, for Oz and NZ?
    Fixed.
    Oz: under 45.
    NZ: up to 55.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Indeed. There's always the option of going out there and marrying one of the natives.
    Hmm that's a thought, but do Maori women have face tattoos ?

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Is there a fixed cut-off age or a fuzzy one dependent on other points, for Oz and NZ?
    I think 45 is the hard limit in Oz and NZ I'm not sure..its like Canada. nil point abover a certain age.

A quick surf to their respective immigration sites will give you the info.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Oh yes. I "lost" Oz a while ago, and watched NZ sail out of reach with my birthday last year.

On the face of it Canada does not have an upper age limit for skilled migration, just a point where you get nul points for age. However my partner is not convinced.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    yeah. I fail the Oz points self-test...on my age. I'll need to get an employer to sponsor...good luck needed. NZ is much easier...even there it will be tight.

Missed opportunities...too many to mention...
    Oh yes. I "lost" Oz a while ago, and watched NZ sail out of reach with my birthday last year.

On the face of it Canada does not have an upper age limit for skilled migration, just a point where you get nul points for age. However my partner is not convinced.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Indeed. There's always the option of going out there and marrying one of the natives.
    hmmmmm.....That's a technique that some of my relatives have done. "Divorce" the one you have now..Go abroad...Marry whilst there...get your permanent stay...ditch the new wife...get your old one back!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X