• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "GordonRamsay affair"

Collapse

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    And I agree with Tony Benn and Baggy.
    Or as Charlie Booker put it...IIRC
    "Newspapers are becoming increasingly meaningless as the masses pick up their news from other more modern sources. As their circulation falls they are reduced to filling their tired little platforms with celebrity news, gossip, and campaigns against things, television comedy being the latest target."

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    So because George Orwell thought it was good - we should all think so too?
    He is entitled to his opinion, as am I, and I have no interest in TNOTW.
    For a start Its full of people I've never heard of, on TV programs I never watch.
    If I want to read a comic, I'll get 2000AD thanks.
    Fair comment.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    I agree with Tony Benn on this one the tabloids are an opium for the masses designed to stiffle debate of the real issues.
    As soon as one tries to debate real issues on cuk one gets bathed in a sea of drivel.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    In times like these, man do I miss Spitting Image!

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post

I always took his surprising stance to mean that tit-n-bum journalism was probably less likely to be written to control the masses.
    I think its written to distract the masses.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    He liked the tales of murder, I do not think that he ever said that the NOTW was the best paper, of course you will have read Decline of an English Murder and Coming up for Air and know that you are misquoting.
    No. And yes. He wrote about The Decline of the English Murder and the Screws having juicy details, etc. But, I remember reading in another essay that the Screws was the best/greatest/finest paper in the world. Just Googled; can't find it, so either Alzheimer's is setting-in, or he did write that.

I always took his surprising stance to mean that tit-n-bum journalism was probably less likely to be written to control the masses.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    I agree with Tony Benn on this one the tabloids are an opium for the masses designed to stiffle debate of the real issues.
    And I agree with Tony Benn and Baggy.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    I once even got a letter printed in it - a proud moment
    I got one printed in the Viz - Still have my Cr@p jokes book somewhere

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
    Not much. He extolled its virtues as a salacious gossip sheet, etc.

He liked the tales of murder, I do not think that he ever said that the NOTW was the best paper, of course you will have read Decline of an English Murder and Coming up for Air and know that you are misquoting.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post
    I think it has changed somewhat since his day.
    Not much. He extolled its virtues as a salacious gossip sheet, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    So because George Orwell thought it was good - we should all think so too?
    He is entitled to his opinion, as am I, and I have no interest in TNOTW.
    For a start Its full of people I've never heard of, on TV programs I never watch.
    If I want to read a comic, I'll get 2000AD thanks.
    Given that Orwell's "take" on writing batters to death all CUK posters' daubings, then yes, his opinion's worth more. A bit like your doctor's opinion on medical matters being worth more, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Who said that?

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    That doesn't even make sense.
    It's a quote from Chris Rock I think but am not sure I get it either

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    That doesn't even make sense.
    I think Stingman is trying to say he is someone who sees cheating on his partner as inevitable, as soon as "his options" allow it?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X