• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Survivors

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Survivors"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    This was the mistake the Beeb made with Survivors in the Seventies, and was the reason Terry Nation pulled out after the first series. It will be interesting to see if they make the same mistake this time.
    But the first series (recent) did not end cleanly : which I find very annoying. But clear there is a storyline already in for series 2 so might be better?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by bellymonster View Post
    As with all these types of drama, the first sseries is usually very good, but by the second and third the story gets a bit too drawn out.
    This was the mistake the Beeb made with Survivors in the Seventies, and was the reason Terry Nation pulled out after the first series. It will be interesting to see if they make the same mistake this time.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by bellymonster View Post
    As with all these types of drama, the first sseries is usually very good, but by the second and third the story gets a bit too drawn out.

By the 4th and 5th series most of the original cast will have been replaced and before you know it you've got the next 'Heartbeat' on your hands.
    Friend of mine is in heartbeat. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Benson_(actor)

Leave a comment:

• bellymonster
    replied

By the 4th and 5th series most of the original cast will have been replaced and before you know it you've got the next 'Heartbeat' on your hands.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I just saw the final episode (recorded from last night). I reckon there will be another series.....

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I want a virus that leaves just me and the female population of the country......

Nah, you'd soon get bored of fish suppers.

The only thing that keeps men sane is other men, or XBox.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Well, using figures from the CIA World Factbook:

Estimated population of UK, July 2008: 60,943,912
    Assuming 0.1% survival rate, population after epidemic: ~60,944
    Land area of UK (including Shetland Islands and Rockall): 241,590 sq km
    Land area in English: ~93 278 square miles

giving

Surviving people per square mile: 0.65

Number of survivors encountered so far is about 20 - let's be generous and say 30, although I think 20 is nearer the mark - meaning the programme would have to be set in an area of ~46 square miles.

An area 7 miles by 7 miles square covers 49 square miles.

So, assuming population density is more evenly distributed after the epidemic due to people leaving urban areas, we might reasonably expect to encounter 30 people in an area 7 miles square.

Given that we haven't yet seen as many as 30 people, and those we see appear to ranging over a much wider area than 7 miles square, if anything there seem to be many fewer survivors than one might expect after an epidemic with a 0.1% survival rate.

Of course, they never state what the survival rate is (there is a reference by a civil servant to 10% in the first episode, but then it becomes apparent that the situation is considerably worse than that before everything finally falls apart) but I would suggest a survival rate around 0.02% could reasonably account for the number of people seen so far, and expected to be seen in forthcoming episodes. That would have them set in an area about 21 miles square, but only ever coming into contact with half of the survivors in that area (which seems a reasonable supposition for the period of time the series covers).

A survival rate of 0.02% gives a total UK population after the epidemic of ~12,200, which seems suitably apocalyptic.
    I want a virus that leaves just me and the female population of the country......

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied

giving

Number of survivors encountered so far is about 20 - let's be generous and say 30, although I think 20 is nearer the mark - meaning the programme would have to be set in an area of ~46 square miles.

So, assuming population density is more evenly distributed after the epidemic due to people leaving urban areas, we might reasonably expect to encounter 30 people in an area 7 miles square.

Given that we haven't yet seen as many as 30 people, and those we see appear to ranging over a much wider area than 7 miles square, if anything there seem to be many fewer survivors than one might expect after an epidemic with a 0.1% survival rate.

Of course, they never state what the survival rate is (there is a reference by a civil servant to 10% in the first episode, but then it becomes apparent that the situation is considerably worse than that before everything finally falls apart) but I would suggest a survival rate around 0.02% could reasonably account for the number of people seen so far, and expected to be seen in forthcoming episodes. That would have them set in an area about 21 miles square, but only ever coming into contact with half of the survivors in that area (which seems a reasonable supposition for the period of time the series covers).

A survival rate of 0.02% gives a total UK population after the epidemic of ~12,200, which seems suitably apocalyptic.
    If ever a post was worthy of Xeno geek points this is it

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    There do seem to be an awful lot of survivors though, don't there? It's not like I Am Legend or 28 Days Later where you feel there's only a handful of people left anywhere. Survivors seems a bit crowded to me. But I suppose it makes for more confrontation and that, and they don't have any zombies or virus nutters to deal with. Yet.

giving

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    First episode was full of the usual cliches, but second episode was very good I thought. I never watched the original because we didn't bother with TV in our house when I was a kid. Those "I love the 70s" type of programmes go straight over my head.

There do seem to be an awful lot of survivors though, don't there? It's not like I Am Legend or 28 Days Later where you feel there's only a handful of people left anywhere. Survivors seems a bit crowded to me. But I suppose it makes for more confrontation and that, and they don't have any zombies or virus nutters to deal with. Yet.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    Where's the "I'm too busy to watch TV" option?
    Next to the "I'm too busy to post on CUK" option. i.e. You can't see it because you're not too busy.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    > > THE NEXT SURVIVOR SERIES
    > >
    > > Six married men will be dropped on an island with one car and
    > > 3 kids each for six weeks.
    > >
    > > Each kid will play
    > > two sports
    > > and either take music
    > > or dance classes.
    > >
    > > There is no fast food.
    > >
    > > Each man must
    > > take care of his 3 kids;
    > > keep his assigned house clean,
    > > correct all homework,
    > > and complete science projects,
    > > cook, do laundry,
    > > and pay a list of 'pretend' bills
    > > with not enough money.
    > >
    > > In addition, each man
    > > will have to budget in money
    > > for groceries each week.
    > >
    > > Each man
    > > must remember the birthdays
    > > of all their friends and relatives,
    > > and send cards out
    > > on time--no emailing.
    > >
    > > Each man must also
    > > take each child to a doctor's appointment,
    > > a dentist appointment
    > > and a haircut appointment.
    > >
    > > He must make
    > > one unscheduled and inconvenient
    > > visit per child
    > > to the A & E.
    > >
    > > He must also
    > > make biscuits or cakes
    > > for a social function.
    > >
    > > Each man will be responsible for
    > > decorating his own assigned house,
    > > planting flowers outside
    > > and keeping it presentable
    > > at all times.
    > >
    > > The men will only
    > > have access to television
    > > when the kids are asleep
    > > and all chores are done.
    > >
    > > The men must
    > > shave their legs,
    > > wear makeup daily,
    > > adorn himself with jewellery,
    > > wear uncomfortable yet stylish shoes,
    > > keep fingernails polished
    > > and eyebrows groomed.
    > >
    > > During one of the six weeks,
    > > the men will have to endure severe abdominal cramps, back aches,
    > > and have extreme, unexplained mood swings but never once complain or
    > > slow down from other duties.
    > >
    > > They must attend
    > > weekly school meetings,
    > > church, and find time
    > > at least once to spend the afternoon
    > > at the park or a similar setting.
    > >
    > > They will need to
    > > read a book to the kids
    > > each night and in the morning,
    > > feed them, dress them,
    > > brush their teeth and
    > > comb their hair by 8:00 am.
    > >
    > > A test will be given at the end of the six weeks, and each father will be required to know all of the following information:
    > > each child's birthday,
    > > height, weight,
    > > shoe size, clothes size
    > > and doctor's name.
    > > Also the child's weight at birth,
    > > length, time of birth,
    > > and length of labour,
    > > each child's favourite colour,
    > > middle name,
    > > favourite snack,
    > > favourite song,
    > > favourite drink,
    > > favourite toy,
    > > biggest fear and
    > > what they want to be when they grow up.
    > >
    > > The kids vote them off the island
    > > based on performance.
    > > The last man wins only if...
    > > he still has enough energy
    > > to be intimate with his spouse
    > > at a moment's notice.
    > >
    > > If the last man does win,
    > > he can play the game over and over
    > > and over again for the next 18-25 years
    > > eventually earning the right
    > > To be called Mum!

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Where's the "I'm too busy to watch TV" option?

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Just watched the first two episodes whilst compiling what seems like several thousand objects.

It may be the nice bottle of white I've consumed but it seemed an ok series. Not worth staying in for, but may well record it to watch on the way to work.

The doc (or porter, can't remember) from Casualty had the right idea in the first place - get loads of camping tulip from Blacks, and head to the hills. In a situation like that, people = trouble.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    Anyone remember Catch Kandy? Australian, I think. Strange but memorable theme tune/song.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X