• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Recession? Now?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Recession? Now?"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by bobhope View Post
    I still don't believe the GB's approval rating by the public has gone up.

Have they forgotten who was chancellor for 10 years?
    Most A/B vote tory - most D/E vote Labour. Its the C1/C2 who decide the election ("Essex Mondeo Man"). Theses sorts will only bother which bird has her n**ks out on page 3. They will know which way to vote when the sun tells them how.

GB is seen as the man for a crisis - and in some ways the proles have a point as whoever gets in next time it will not make much difference.

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    I'm disappointed that you've let Gordon Brown off the hook.

Did you know that, until Brown snatched monitoring and regulation of banks away from the Bank of England in the early 2000s, borrowing and saving with UK banks was balanced. Now, after a few years of supposedly doing the job himself, there's a 700 billion imbalance.

You're right though, it won't be a normal recession. Brown has seen to that.
    I still don't believe the GB's approval rating by the public has gone up.

Have they forgotten who was chancellor for 10 years?

Leave a comment:

• Stan.goodvibes
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    I'm a bit disgusted with the timimg of this recession. They normally start just after the turn of the decade. I'm not ready yet.
    Yeah my plan of leaping over to the Uk to coin it during the traditional end-of-decade boom has gone to custard.

Bankers! Grrrrrr. What a bunch of twonks!

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I'm a bit disgusted with the timimg of this recession. They normally start just after the turn of the decade. I'm not ready yet.
    I expect it will finish at the right time though.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    ...this recession doesn’t look to me like a cyclical recession, more the result of economic vandalism and incompetence on the part of banks. For most of Europe it’s an early recession, not a cyclical one. Here in the Netherlands and in many other European countries, we don’t have a massive house price bubble, huge levels of personal debt or huge government deficits, but we’ve been driven into this mess by the wide boys in Wall Street and the City.
    I'm disappointed that you've let Gordon Brown off the hook.

Did you know that, until Brown snatched monitoring and regulation of banks away from the Bank of England in the early 2000s, borrowing and saving with UK banks was balanced. Now, after a few years of supposedly doing the job himself, there's a 700 billion imbalance.

You're right though, it won't be a normal recession. Brown has seen to that.

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    It's OK - I just paid my corporation tax bill - should keep the UK in tax credits / council houses for a bit.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Maybe the real recession of 2011 is still to come?
    Stop it, you're scaring peopel even more!

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    It is a bit of a bummer really; we all know that economies are cyclical, but this recession doesn’t look to me like a cyclical recession, more the result of economic vandalism and incompetence on the part of banks.
    Maybe the real recession of 2011 is still to come?

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    That’s the point. If people can be persuaded to expect a recovery, then there’ll be a recovery. That’s why chef’s gran’s remedy-for-everything of a nice cup of tea is such a good analogy for what’s needed in the economy; something to feel good about, instead of looking at the stock market indices every day (which I’ve never done anyway as I find it almost as interesting as watching bowls.)
    The media exacerbate the problem, then work colleagues get laid off, etc, and it's hard not to become pessimistic. Hopefully Gordon will do something other than increase benefits. It has to go into the hands of those with a high propensity to spend. Some of those should at least be working people.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    With feet up on a leather poofe..
    Around here, all the locals drink coffee and spend their time getting agitated instead of solving problems. The British and Irish contractors just have a nice cuppa together, work out a solution and then have plenty of time left for posting on CUK.

Leave a comment:

• Ravello
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    A bit homoerotic-phobic.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Expectations drive recessions, so we do usually have recession by concensus
    That’s the point. If people can be persuaded to expect a recovery, then there’ll be a recovery. That’s why chef’s gran’s remedy-for-everything of a nice cup of tea is such a good analogy for what’s needed in the economy; something to feel good about, instead of looking at the stock market indices every day (which I’ve never done anyway as I find it almost as interesting as watching bowls.)

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    …and then a nice cup of tea with a digestive biscuit for everyone, followed by a recovery.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by tay View Post
    Agree.. what we need is for everyone to say when they are ready for a recession...

Recession by consensus.
    Expectations drive recessions, so we do usually have recession by concensus

Leave a comment:

Working...
X