• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on ""British jobs for British workers" - Is outsourcing a treasonable activity?"

Collapse

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    That's exactly what I use them for.
    Ive got four of them working at a German airport and you could eat your pies off the floors there
    They are, excuse the blowing of my trumpet here, exceedingly good pies. Got a new, old, girl who makes a fine steak and kidney pie at one of me chip-shops. Couldn't even get one myself on a visit the other day as they'd sold out.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Offshoring/outsourcing are a fact of global life. If you want "protection" then there will be a price to pay in competitiveness of British goods and services.
    France doesnt outsource because no one speaks French, and in those countries that do France has ensured that they have remained poor and uneducated since they colonised them.
    Voilà pourquoi j'ai toujours un CV à jour en français. L'assurance contre l'outsourcing!

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    Actually, there may be lots of people with fancy degrees and training, but present an English contractor with 6 months of blagging under their belt and they'll wipe the floor.
    correct,

I actually got a 2/1 in blagging from John Moores in Liverpool, I would have gotten a first but my module on 'The philosophy of Time dilation in regards to timesheets' was a little weak.
    I was thinking of going back to get my masters, but there's too much billing to be done

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    Actually, there may be lots of people with fancy degrees and training, but present an English contractor with 6 months of blagging under their belt and they'll wipe the floor.
    That's exactly what I use them for.
    Ive got four of them working at a German airport and you could eat your pies off the floors there

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    With our membership of the EU there is no excuse for this as there are plenty of IT skills in the European Union.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post
    For the life of me I don't know what pleasure you get out of analysing the random gibberings of a gobtulipe like Gordon Brown. Especially when, intelligent guys and gals like you lot, know deep down in your souls it is utter bollocks.
    Compliments for your accurate, if somewhat mild, analysis of the nature of politicians. I’m now working on a similar analysis of bank directors. It starts with;

‘criminal scum who embezzled their employers and ran pyramid schemes for their own personal profit when they were entrusted with looking after other people’s money, and now parasite the taxpayer for world record welfare cheques while scavenging on the remains of small businesses that they’ve bullied into submission.’

How’s that? Too charitable? Should I up the bile and contempt a little more?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Offshoring/outsourcing are a fact of global life. If you want "protection" then there will be a price to pay in competitiveness of British goods and services.
    France doesnt outsource because no one speaks French, and in those countries that do France has ensured that they have remained poor and uneducated since they colonised them.

What I cannot abide is the "nearshoring/onshoring" concept of using a relationship with an Indian company as a veil under which to ship in cheap IT workers. They are all at it whether they be Marks & Spencer, Citibank or the local council.

With our membership of the EU there is no excuse for this as there are plenty of IT skills in the European Union.

Leave a comment:

• Purple Dalek
    replied
    Oh FFS you take what a politician says at face value? What a bunch of planks. A politician only ever says what he thinks will get him re-elected, and behind the scenes does whatever he can to ensure he gets enough money to run that next election campaign.

For the life of me I don't know what pleasure you get out of analysing the random gibberings of a gobtulipe like Gordon Brown. Especially when, intelligent guys and gals like you lot, know deep down in your souls it is utter bollocks.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    Yes it was. In fact it was Patricia Hewitt that met years ago with business leaders in India to see how the UK could "help" them.

Is also has something to do with the fact that the govt. are in the pockets of Crapita (sic), PA Consulting and EDS. They help each other and ship the work out for peanuts.

So now New Liebour has helped screw up UK plc, they want to be seen not to be the guilty ones, so are pretending that they are going to clamp down on outsourcing, when all along they were lapping it up.
    WHS

With regard to protectionism, surely this exists anyway? I can't import an Indian/Chinese/African to do work, even on the understanding that he is only coming here to work, after which he will go back. Non-protectionism / open labour markets only appear to apply to large companies funding and in league with Labour.

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
    Wasn't it the Labour government that was promoting and encouraging outsourcing to reduce costs to business ... or was it just me, over the last 8 years, I've had almost every jobs that I've been working on outsourced to "low cost regions".

Its a bit bloody late to shut the stable door now the horse has bolted.

Brown is a tosser
    Yes it was. In fact it was Patricia Hewitt that met years ago with business leaders in India to see how the UK could "help" them.

Is also has something to do with the fact that the govt. are in the pockets of Crapita (sic), PA Consulting and EDS. They help each other and ship the work out for peanuts.

So now New Liebour has helped screw up UK plc, they want to be seen not to be the guilty ones, so are pretending that they are going to clamp down on outsourcing, when all along they were lapping it up.
    Last edited by SantaClaus; 20 November 2008, 21:24.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Brown can shut is trap, my 2 Romainian house cleaners ( excellent by the way ) are quite happy with minimum wage, if they go then I'm going to have to pay over the odds or I will end up with some chav from the local housing scheme who will probably pawn my camera after 1 week.

Leave a comment:

• FarmerPalmer
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    As Brown Chops tells us "British jobs for British workers", surely the hollowing out of the professional middle class in Britain by British companies who outsource is a treasonable activity - in the sense that it is damaging to the country as a whole?
    Wasn't it the Labour government that was promoting and encouraging outsourcing to reduce costs to business ... or was it just me, over the last 8 years, I've had almost every jobs that I've been working on outsourced to "low cost regions".

Its a bit bloody late to shut the stable door now the horse has bolted.

Brown is a tosser

Leave a comment:

• Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Fair enough if reciprocal. Problem is, India is a protectionist economy and this is a very one sided arrangement, they want access to our markets which they do not legally allow into theirs.
    Very well put!

We need to keep jobs here. We allow others here to outsource as we made our economy to do this! Now the chips are down - we need to rebuild..that means choosing the BRITISH CITIZENS regardless of colour, caste or creed and doing the right thing. But no doubt we will get the do-gooding, closet racists wanting to be liberal and free for all and will criticise this. Sod em! send them to their death, bring back hanging, Sky Pay Per View Hanging! Ill pay!

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Fair enough if reciprocal. Problem is, India is a protectionist economy and this is a very one sided arrangement, they want access to our markets which they do not legally allow into theirs.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    I have to admit to being undecided on this. The alternative to outsourcing is some form of protectionism of jobs with stringent employment laws. That's no good for economies and entrepeneurs either.
    <snip>
    ....... sooner we look to exploit the potential opportunities it brings rather than moan about it the better imo.
    Protectionism seems to work for the French. I agree with what you say at the end though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X