• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Ebay sniping

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Ebay sniping"

Collapse

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    If you want the list, PM me your email address.

(I won't send it to you, but I'll add it to the list before I sell it on eBay!)
    I saw it yesterday.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Just went to check out Wikileaks:

Wikileaks is overloaded by readers

Wikileaks servers are currently overloaded by extreme popularity. Become a Wikileaks/Sunshine Press subscriber to access our subscriber priority servers for 12 months and receive special release notifications.
    If you want the list, PM me your email address.

(I won't send it to you, but I'll add it to the list before I sell it on eBay!)

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post

Wikileaks servers are currently overloaded by extreme popularity. Become a Wikileaks/Sunshine Press subscriber to access our subscriber priority servers for 12 months and receive special release notifications.
    I found it as a text file on Rapidshare. There's a man down my street who's a member, I thought this was such a nice neighbourhood

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Must go and list those copies of the BNP membership list now - they might fetch some cash once all the websites showing it have been shut down.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    That's the job of Ebay to provide this and I will support it.
    But WHY???

It's a fixed time auction - you all know the rules, so why are you so upset about it?

Must go and list those copies of the BNP membership list now - they might fetch some cash once all the websites showing it have been shut down.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    Guys, I picked up a great keyboard off eBay earlier.

Used one of those nifty sniping tools to ensure I won the auction.

Great tools to use as you don't have to be sat at your PC waiting for the auction to end.

Would have loved to have seen the tight wads face who was bidding against me when his piffling bid was out bid.

Worth the price on it's own
    Well, got my keyboard and, I must say, it is a pile of crap fit for cack handed dislexiks.

Still, bet the other bidder must still be wound up about me sniping him!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    You must give people at lease 20 minutes to place a bid after yours.
    That's the job of Ebay to provide this and I will support it.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    No. This is not about more/less, this is about unfair competition that, in the end, hits sellers, decent buyers (snipers excluded from this list) and ultimately Ebay on many levels.

It was fair auction. I placed bet 5 mins before it ended (not on purpose), and there were no other bidders, I did not use this strategy on purpose to prevent other bidders who were winning it. So I think I won that auction fairly, however because sniper put off other buyers I am sure that in the end seller did not get a good deal. If he put up £20 buy now button I'd get it happily.
    You are very unfair AtW. There were two other bidders, one was an 80 year old pensioner in a wheelchair. You only gave her five minutes to get from the kitchen to her PC. She arrived too late. The other was an eight year old kid with learning disabilities who was too slow to place another bid. You must give people at lease 20 minutes to place a bid after yours. Shame on you!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    But you've just moaned about how unfair the system is to both seller and buyer, because it doesn't give you the chance to pay more for an item.
    No. This is not about more/less, this is about unfair competition that, in the end, hits sellers, decent buyers (snipers excluded from this list) and ultimately Ebay on many levels.

Why are you not now offering the person you bought it from for £5 some of that extra £15, if you feel that it's so unfair?
    It was fair auction. I placed bet 5 mins before it ended (not on purpose), and there were no other bidders, I did not use this strategy on purpose to prevent other bidders who were winning it. So I think I won that auction fairly, however because sniper put off other buyers I am sure that in the end seller did not get a good deal. If he put up £20 buy now button I'd get it happily.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I've been buying about one keyboard a year from ebay using Buy Now button since I don't like those sniping fkers that I was certainly aware of before - in this case only 2 auctions were available for the items I wanted and neither had Buy Now button. If there was (and usually the price is £20 or so - I know I paid before) I'd use it quickly and pain free. Sadly it was not available.
    But you've just moaned about how unfair the system is to both seller and buyer, because it doesn't give you the chance to pay more for an item.

Why are you not now offering the person you bought it from for £5 some of that extra £15, if you feel that it's so unfair?

You (and the sniper) bought as per the rules of the market that you were using. The seller knows the rules of the market, and still chooses to sell there. Everyone knew what might happen before going there, and yet you are still unhappy about how it works.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    When you are contracting, do you always declare yourself inside IR35 as well? That's only fair and right.
    If I was inside IR35 then I would certainly have to declare it, since I am nowhere near it then I don't. I see no contradiction here, in fact given your statement it seems that my point of view is reinforced - you view on this ebay situation from personal narrow view to gain little bit without giving a tulip that in a long run such attitude may destroy the long term prospects for yourselfa actually. But you don't give a tulip because you either too stupid to see that far in the future, or just don't care - probably both.

asked the seller to do a "buy it now" listing just for you, then you could hand over the extra £15. That way, everyone wins
    I've been buying about one keyboard a year from ebay using Buy Now button since I don't like those sniping fkers that I was certainly aware of before - in this case only 2 auctions were available for the items I wanted and neither had Buy Now button. If there was (and usually the price is £20 or so - I know I paid before) I'd use it quickly and pain free. Sadly it was not available.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Yes, luckily there was another item that was due to expire in 10 more mins, so I put a bid in and wasted 10 more minutes refreshing the page to ensure no sniper gets it.

You and others who argued against me on here on this topic can't grasp the big picture and you certainly don't give a tulip if something is right or wrong, so long as you profit. Well, it matters to me - I am not happy about getting keyboard for £5, fair value was £20 easy - if snipers were not putting people off ebay there would be more bidders and I am sure both keyboards would have been sold for decent price. That's not right for the marketplace and my temporary personal gain is totally irrelevant as long term negative effects of not providing fair value to the sellers would result in less sellers there. Frankly, ebay policies put off a lot of people already, they just don't give a tulip since they have a monopoly.
    Ah, so it's all about fairness.

When you are contracting, do you always declare yourself inside IR35 as well? That's only fair and right.

Of course, if you were worried about the fairness of it, I'm sure that if you just sent more money by PayPal, or asked the seller to do a "buy it now" listing just for you, then you could hand over the extra £15. That way, everyone wins

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    But, you did respond to it - you bid on another item, and in the process saved yourself £15 on your other bid, not counting any further bids that you may have put it.
    Yes, luckily there was another item that was due to expire in 10 more mins, so I put a bid in and wasted 10 more minutes refreshing the page to ensure no sniper gets it.

You and others who argued against me on here on this topic can't grasp the big picture and you certainly don't give a tulip if something is right or wrong, so long as you profit. Well, it matters to me - I am not happy about getting keyboard for £5, fair value was £20 easy - if snipers were not putting people off ebay there would be more bidders and I am sure both keyboards would have been sold for decent price. That's not right for the marketplace and my temporary personal gain is totally irrelevant as long term negative effects of not providing fair value to the sellers would result in less sellers there. Frankly, ebay policies put off a lot of people already, they just don't give a tulip since they have a monopoly.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    It was luck I got another one for £5. My issue is with the way that I was unable to respond to that sniping bid as it was done just before auction closed. That fact that I was lucky does not invalidate my arguement - if I had a choice to kick all snipers out of ebay and pay £20 for the keyboard that I got for £5 (thus paying £15 more) I'd certainly do it.
    But, you did respond to it - you bid on another item, and in the process saved yourself £15 on your other bid, not counting any further bids that you may have put it.

I'm still not getting the "eBay saved me money, and I'm not happy about it" idea, sorry.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I'm really, really struggling here to see what your argument is - under your proposed system, you would have bid again, and ended up paying at least five times more than your final price. And you think this is a good idea??
    It was luck I got another one for £5. My issue is with the way that I was unable to respond to that sniping bid as it was done just before auction closed. That fact that I was lucky does not invalidate my arguement - if I had a choice to kick all snipers out of ebay and pay £20 for the keyboard that I got for £5 (thus paying £15 more) I'd certainly do it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X