• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Ski holiday booked

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Ski holiday booked"

Collapse

• milanbenes
    replied
    NotAllThere,

yes it's a great resort.

Franko knows the secret

Franko, electrical goods no, not really interested in electrical gadgets, but will stock up on fine wines, single malts and cigars, can't wait.

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Mehmeh View Post
    Where in valais? I'll be there in jan/feb..can't wait
    Leukerbad. in the last week of Feb, and Lenzerheide in Graubunden the following week.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    "I'm sorry I have to speak Russian to you, but it's our only common language. Once again, I apologise"
    Say this:

Ei hohli - ya lublu Putin.

IGMFC

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Western Ukraine is not particularly fond of Russians, probably because they were starved to death by the communists in 30s - 6-7 mln dead or so.
    What is the Ukrainian for

"I'm sorry I have to speak Russian to you, but it's our only common language. Once again, I apologise"

?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Western Ukraine is not particularly fond of Russians, probably because they were starved to death by the communists in 30s - 6-7 mln dead or so.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by sunnysan View Post
    я говарию чут чут по-Русски и моя жена из Беларусси. я магу читать тоже.

I can get by enough to understand when I am being shafted.

My spoken russian probably sounds like the equivalent of a car being crushed but its OK.

As far as I can see the rate is for bed and breakfast.

There are 3 "ресторана" there, and to be fair I would hazard a guess that the prices will be outrageous
    Sounds like you'll be fine.

My Russian is now complete rubbish (it only ever rose to the level of utter rubbish) but it does help when you can understand the words foreigner and money being used in front of you

Leave a comment:

• sunnysan
    replied
    Rooski

я говарию чут чут по-Русски и моя жена из Беларусси. я магу читать тоже.

I can get by enough to understand when I am being shafted.

My spoken russian probably sounds like the equivalent of a car being crushed but its OK.

As far as I can see the rate is for bed and breakfast.

There are 3 "ресторана" there, and to be fair I would hazard a guess that the prices will be outrageous

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    I am not very good so it will be OK for me,

About $800 for double room for 5 nights at the slopes as well as $110 for ski pass for 5 days.

Looks quite affordable or am I a total novice?
    Fair enough. I'm just prejudiced against the Ukraine. Probably unfairly so

I would still say you can get more for less in Bulgaria or the Pyrenees, maybe even the smaller Italian resorts.

Is $800 per person, or per room, and does it include food?

For comparison our catered chalet just outside Meribel at New Year is £500 ish each.

Also consider if you'll be able to get instruction in a language you understand. If you don't read cyrillic it can be quite a draining experience even just finding a Pectopah.

Leave a comment:

• Mehmeh
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    One week in Valais, followed by a week in Graubunden.
    Where in valais? I'll be there in jan/feb..can't wait

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    OK, so what I heard about the expense was wrong. Seems quite reasonable.

Leave a comment:

• sunnysan
    replied
    Runs

I am not very good so it will be OK for me,

About $800 for double room for 5 nights at the slopes as well as $110 for ski pass for 5 days.

Looks quite affordable or am I a total novice?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    NoTAllThere,

Benes invoicing Ltd are booked into Livigno.

Can't wait.

Amazing how few people know Livigno's secret.

Milan.
    Looks quite good http://www.livignoitaly.com/skipass-map1.html Seems like 1000m drop.

We had a great time last year in Steibis which similarly seems to be not known about outside of Germany. Some of the best groomed slopes I've ever been on.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Anybody here been to Bukovel, Ukraine for skiing? What was it like?
    I've heard it is full of very rich mafia-like Eastern Europeans, and consequently, quite expensive.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Anybody here been to Bukovel, Ukraine for skiing? What was it like?
    And for a less flippant response:

Never heard of it, but

http://www.bukovel.com/en/skiing/map

looks quite limited (50KM of runs and only 250m drop from top to bottom).

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    You might want to stock up on hard currency now rather than later...
    I'm paid in Swiss Francs. It's just a shame that the UK doesn't have decent ski resorts.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X