• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Airline reward programmes"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    Moan at the airline who set the baggage size limits, not the passengers who have the common sense to travel hand luggage only.
    Hand baggage only (at those approved airports) is a maximum of two bags.

A suitcase, laptop bag and handbag would be in excess of the limit, but airlines tend not to enforce the limit that they set.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    I fly BA nearly every week return and it f**ks me off at all these 'carry-on- cases' plus laptops and another bag on top of that, then they stick their jacket in. Plus they put it in my f**king space because the prat next to them has filled up their space!!

Not on.
    Moan at the airline who set the baggage size limits, not the passengers who have the common sense to travel hand luggage only.

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    I fly BA nearly every week return and it f**ks me off at all these 'carry-on- cases' plus laptops and another bag on top of that, then they stick their jacket in. Plus they put it in my f**king space because the prat next to them has filled up their space!!

Not on.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    There is a maximum size stipulated by the airline, if you can fit all your stuff in said bag, wtf should you have the inconvenience of having to put it in the hold?

My bag fits in the size guide, and I can lift it above my head into the overhead bin myself. WTF is the problem?
    WHS.

At the moment, I leave all my things in London anyway, and only fly with a laptop bag. I still object to not being able to put it in the overhead storage, though, when there isn't enough room

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    FYI luggage is supposed to go in the hold, makes it easier for everyone
    Except for the owner of the luggage - especially when the airline lose[1] it, which they do 1 out of 100 times.

[1] as in, fail to deliver back to you on the day of travel!

tim

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    That's kind of been my experience. I have around 60 000 miles but when I look at redeeming them, plus factor in the taxes which cost more than the flight it hardly works out as being worth the effort to collect them in the first place.
    I agree. When major airlines started asking you to pay "made up" taxes to claim your free flight it was often cheaper to fly with a LCC than pay these fictional taxes.

At that point my accumulated miles because worthless and I only kept the card because it gave me lounge entry. It used to take 15 round trips to earn next year's lounge card.

And then the b*stard airlines reduced the points that you got for "non full fare" ecomomy tickets so it now takes 30+ round tripes to earn a lounge card. This is impossible (for me) so I now book the cheapest suitable ticket. This means that I (almost) exclusively fly with LCCs.

tim

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    I use the one which gives me 50% off the fare that I pay for each of my flights.

Unfortunately, I often have to fly to an airport that isn't in the same town, or even country, that I want to go to!

tim

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    it seems as though some airlines are "flexible" on the whole hand luggage shenanigans, I notice when having flown verminair in the past that some peoples hand luggage isn't the requisite size. I

f in doubt stick the bl**dy thing in the hold (unless travelling from t5)

Thankfully I don't use them very often.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    There is a maximum size stipulated by the airline, if you can fit all your stuff in said bag, wtf should you have the inconvenience of having to put it in the hold?
    I have no issue with any of that. I was on a BA flight back from India a couple weeks ago and they obviously hadn't enforced the 'maximum size' rule. My hand luggage which was compliant, had to be stored 'elsewhere' as all the overhead lockers were full. Very inconvenient!

I feel like I have had a bout of Wilmslow after this post. Apologies.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    WHS ++++++

Those selfish pr1cks that consider themselves more important than everyone else and somehow feel that they deserve a special dispensation with regards to their hand luggage infuriate me. Put it in the hold you inconsiderate twats.

My bag fits in the size guide, and I can lift it above my head into the overhead bin myself. WTF is the problem?

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    WHS ++++++

Those selfish pr1cks that consider themselves more important than everyone else and somehow feel that they deserve a special dispensation with regards to their hand luggage infuriate me. Put it in the hold you inconsiderate twats.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    +1

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Does it ****. Especially when you're dealing with Belgian baggage handlers.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    It's a shame that BMI are such fascists when it comes to hand luggage.
    The only time I've had a problem with bmi and hand baggage was in 2000 when one week they made me weigh my small suitcase, which was over-weight. I took stuff out of it, stuck it in my laptop bag, which they didn't weigh, and they were happy with it. Once I was in the lounge, I repacked it back in the suitcase.

The annoyance at the moment is that the flight to Manchester that I used to catch changed from an A320 to some tiny thing, so you could barely get a bag of any size in the overhead, and they made you put them in the hold.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X