• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New linked-in group only for PHP Contractors in UK"

Collapse

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    FWIW Yahoo! runs on PHP (including properties such as flickr and del.icio.us). To be precise, PHP 5 using the Symfony framework.

So PHP, used effectively, is capable of handling around 3.5 billion page views per day from around the world, with appropriate horizontal scaling.

Relational databases at Y! are either mySQL or Oracle.

Of course they have some requirements for scaling capacity and responsiveness that no relational database now extant could ever cope with, which are met by custom distributed file systems - a bit like the way Google uses the proprietary BigTable architecture for its various indices. I believe the low-level drivers for such things are written in C. But you only need to worry about that kind of stuff when you have hundreds of millions of users
    Good injection of facts there, me old bonobo.

It amuses me that things like .NET are used for comparatively small applications (web-wise) whereas 'noddy' technologies like PHP and MySQL drive some of the biggest applications ever seen.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    FWIW Yahoo! runs on PHP (including properties such as flickr and del.icio.us). To be precise, PHP 5 using the Symfony framework.

So PHP, used effectively, is capable of handling around 3.5 billion page views per day from around the world, with appropriate horizontal scaling.

Relational databases at Y! are either mySQL or Oracle.

Of course they have some requirements for scaling capacity and responsiveness that no relational database now extant could ever cope with, which are met by custom distributed file systems - a bit like the way Google uses the proprietary BigTable architecture for its various indices. I believe the low-level drivers for such things are written in C. But you only need to worry about that kind of stuff when you have hundreds of millions of users

Leave a comment:

• newbie-rookie
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    newbie-rookie,

are you a cat too ?

Milan.
    I have no idea what cat is sorry.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    I have to admit folks, part of the reason I made the move from developer to administrator was I never understood object orientation, especially this kind of stuff...

$salary->Paycut

and then the like..

this->paycut

funny eh

Thankfully I didn't understand cos if I had I'd probably still be stuck there as a developer taking all the cripe

one of the worst things about being a developer is when during unit testing the business realises they got the spec wrong and expect the new spec to be delivered in the old time scale to the original deadline

those were the days

Milan.
    You would use $this->Paycut() from within the class.

When using an instance of the class, you would use $instance->Paycut();

Not terribly hard to grasp, really.

I'm not a developer now, either. But I like to keep in touch rather than sneering at those who do.
    Last edited by bogeyman; 4 November 2008, 16:24. Reason: syntax

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    I have to admit folks, part of the reason I made the move from developer to administrator was I never understood object orientation, especially this kind of stuff...

$salary->Paycut

and then the like..

this->paycut

funny eh

Thankfully I didn't understand cos if I had I'd probably still be stuck there as a developer taking all the cripe

one of the worst things about being a developer is when during unit testing the business realises they got the spec wrong and expect the new spec to be delivered in the old time scale to the original deadline

those were the days

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    i did some hacking with php3 and it was funny then that there is no distinction between, ints, chars, date etc

is it still the case today ?

Milan.
    Yes it's loosly-typed but you can cast types:

$mySalary = (float) $notEnough;

Also you can 'hint' types for arguments:

public function MilansSalary(AbsurdlyOverPaidClass $salary)
    {
    return $salary->Paycut(100);
    }

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    newbie-rookie,

are you a cat too ?

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• newbie-rookie
    replied
    i did some hacking with php3 and it was funny then that there is no distinction between, ints, chars, date etc

Milan.
    You can use type hints in method parameters and variable assignments now.

Leave a comment:

• newbie-rookie
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I found the tool support to be pretty poor, that was the biggest draw back for me. Stuff like auto complete was not there when I was working on it. Might have changed though. I could knock stuff up pretty quickly but I always though i was just coding hacks and nothing was stopping me.
    Oh, it has. Now you can use phpdoc (something like javadoc) and you can use autocomplete in your ide (I use Zend Studio and PHPed). Also I find Browser toolbars which allows you to debug your code line by line very helpful.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I found the tool support to be pretty poor, that was the biggest draw back for me. Stuff like auto complete was not there when I was working on it. Might have changed though. I could knock stuff up pretty quickly but I always though i was just coding hacks and nothing was stopping me.
    You can use Visual Studio for PHP: http://www.jcxsoftware.com/vs.php

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by newbie-rookie View Post
    I'd agree if we were talking about PHP before OO. Now, you can build serious applications with PHP using MVC, OO, ActiveRecord etc. Especially with frameworks like Zend, Symphony, I feel like PHP becoming more like a programming language than scripting language. That's my humble opinion of course.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    LOL

you sure he wasn't over qualified ?

Milan.
    He has rather large paws and often hits two or three keys at once while coding.

His concepts are pretty sound, however.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    LOL

you sure he wasn't over qualified ?

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
    Will someone please get the PHP developer role in the Midlands please. I am fed up with the dam role poping up when I am searching Jobserve. It's been there daily for about 2 weeks now.
    I sent my cat for it. He got the job.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X