• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Warning your Boss about Security can get you fired"

Collapse

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    I suspect the original story may have been set in another Country - I notice the poster of the thread hasn't been back to make any further comment.
    I found the story on another site, there is also a thread about hoaxes nearby, plus a poster by the name of disco_stu 123

conincidences i am sure

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Which proves it is made up, because a contractor would know that employment tribunals are only for permies.
    I suspect the original story may have been set in another Country - I notice the poster of the thread hasn't been back to make any further comment.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally Posted by developerhalloween2008
    I don't imagine the damages I would receive from court action would sufficiently compensate for the long-term damage suing a former employer would do to my career.
    Which proves it is made up, because a contractor would know that employment tribunals are only for permies.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
    Even if it is made up, still an interesting discussion on good contractor behaviour.
    Fair enough, good point, well made.

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Being a tester can get you into trouble with Project Managers who are chasing their bonusses and CIOs who don’t want to see the truth. I always feel it’s best to keep your integrity even at the cost of your job; in the long run it’s your professionalism that will get you contracts and pay the bills, and one client can’t change that.
    I don't thinik anyone was advising just doing nothing. But you can raise the alarm in a way that doesn't insult the people paying your invoice.

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    No - the beginner is anyone who takes the original post seriously. It is a totally made up story IHMO.
    Even if it is made up, still an interesting discussion on good contractor behaviour.

Leave a comment:

• zathras
    replied
    Originally posted by developerhalloween2008 View Post
    I don't imagine the damages I would receive from court action would sufficiently compensate for the long-term damage suing a former employer would do to my career.
    Zero, nadda - there is usually contingencies within a contract to terminate. (PS they are not your employer as such, any claims would be contingent upon proving you were)

So, let this be a warning: your boss doesn't want to be told (a few days before release) that entire networks of their software could be turned into a zombie botnet by a newbie script kiddie.

Leave a comment:

• Advocate
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Sounds like he was Proposing to you

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I’ve even met one project manager who said to me ’keep me honest’.
    Sounds like he was coming on to you

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Advocate View Post
    My job is to warn people about security, in light of this information is the boards advice that I do nothing?
    Nope, just stick at it. Sometimes I do contracts as a Test Manager and the first things I look for in hiring people is preparedness to tell me the bad news or contradict me if they think I’m going to make a mistake. I’ve even met one project manager who said to me ’keep me honest’. Really, there are managers with integrity, just not very many.

Leave a comment:

• Chugnut
    replied
    Originally posted by Advocate View Post
    My job is to warn people about security, in light of this information is the boards advice that I do nothing?
    Correct, in fact you've already told us too much.

Leave a comment:

• Advocate
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Being a tester can get you into trouble with Project Managers who are chasing their bonusses and CIOs who don’t want to see the truth. I always feel it’s best to keep your integrity even at the cost of your job; in the long run it’s your professionalism that will get you contracts and pay the bills, and one client can’t change that.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I think you will find, if you read the OP carefully, that in the first line he states that it's a true story

hth

Oh well, in that case...........

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by tay View Post
    Ok I believe you. But why would someone bother to make up this story?

Seems like a lot of effort for zero point?
    Some people enjoy hoaxing others - they seem to enjoy the fact that they can extract so much serious debate from something that was spurious in the first place - I don't understand it either, but it's not rare on line is it?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X