• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Boiler

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Boiler"

Collapse

• Advocate
    replied
    Cheers for the replies, some surprisingly useful ones

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    When we had ours done, I got three installers to come round and see what needed doing.

We ended up going with the more expensive one, since he was the one that knew what he was talking about (we had two boilers - one for heating, one for water - and neither of them was good enough for the house). Can't remember how much it came in at, but I do know that it was cheaper than the estimate that he'd provided.

That said, we did promise him the work for the new bathroom, which he is (hopefully) starting in a few weeks, so maybe we got a discount for that in advance (although the heating was two years ago now).

Leave a comment:

• Ken Dodd
    replied
    what type of boiler?

If it is a traditional system - with a hot water tank and a airing cupboard - then the like-for-like boiler replacement is as straightforward as things get in plumbing terms. You will find that the new boiler is about 1/3 the size of your old one and twice if not three times more efficient. Expect to pay (or try to pay) about 500 gbp for a boiler and about £300 ish to get it fitted. A competent plumber or 'Heating Engineeer' can do the like for like swap in 2 or 3 hours. Take the opportunity to have a new pump fitted - about £90 tops - and consider getting some new replacement radiators if your old ones are more than say 10 years old. New radiators cost next to nothing and, like the boilers, are far more efficient than they were and can therefore be a lot smaller. Have a look on the net for prices.
    Do not use BG. Their prices are artificially high so that you can be offerred a 'special discount' AND becasue they think people will pay more for a 'perceived' better service - like BT with broadband etc.

A couple of years ago, I had my old boiler replaced with a combi boiler which means that you have all the tank system removed cos there is no stored hot water - the boiler kicks-in when you turn on the tap. This was a quality one _Worcester - but it still was only about £800. I managed to find someone to fit it for £400 cash. A good deal all round really.

The choice is yours as far as boilers are concerned.

Leave a comment:

• crimdon
    replied
    I had a top of the range Baxti installed lasted year by a Corgi buy I know for £1200. My mate got one installed for even less as he sourced the boiler himself (using the "I'm in the trade" scam) and had a mate who is Corgi install it.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I had a quote from BG for a very reasonable £5,000

They did say it would take the whole afternoon to fit too.
    Cut-price Britain. Mine cost in the region of £8000. But at least it was deductable against tax. Took them two days to fit it as well.

Leave a comment:

• mailric
    replied
    I picked a cheap boiler up from Walkabout in Manchester the other week. Go about 1am.

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    Get a Glowworm Ultrapower 100 sxi. About £1400 + labour. It is the dogs nads.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    when the bg guy comes round and gives you a quote, ask him what he's doing at the weekend. then wink knowingly a few times.

He'll come round and do it for half the price.

top tip - dont wear eyeliner for the winking bit

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by Liability View Post
    Totally agree - but as its gas and pretty key in the house - would you want to risk it for another 1200-1400? But I hear what ya saying hombre.
    Slight exageration, I think it worked out at £900 all up, my mate is ex Corgi so knows what he is doing, the only problem is the warranty isn't valid but you can probably bluff your way around this if required.

I've got one of these,

http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/s...i_Boiler_.html

seems OK so far and you'll probably get a one man band legit Corgi guy to fit it for I'd guess 400ish ( not Londinium maybe ).

Leave a comment:

• Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    You can get yourself a cheapo boiler installed by one of your non certified mates for about £800
    Totally agree - but as its gas and pretty key in the house - would you want to risk it for another 1200-1400? But I hear what ya saying hombre.

Leave a comment:

• Chugnut
    replied
    Your existing boiler will probably have a BTU number (measured in 000's) written on a panel somewhere. It should have been sized accordingly to power your hot water cylinder and radiators / UFH. Once you've got that, visit http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/ for some ideas to price the kit, then www.trustcorgi.com to find an installer. Once happy with an installer, get them to verify that the new boiler is good enough, etc.

Heat pumps still can't get anywhere near gas for unit cost / flexibility in output temperatures. Plus you usually have to dig up your garden to install one (unless you choose an air source one, and they aren't as good as the ground ones).

HTH

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by Liability View Post
    You can get a good boiler [potterton, valiant etc] installed within £2300 using your local certified engineer
    You can get yourself a cheapo boiler installed by one of your non certified mates for about £800

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Pop down to your local plumb centre or equivalent and buy one yourself. Try telling them you are just starting a new business and ask if they do a trade rate.
    The plumbing is quite easy, but you have to let a proper bloke do the gas.

Leave a comment:

• Liability
    replied
    Dont use or go to BG thats for fools who want to be a-s-s- r-a-p-e-d

You can get a good boiler [potterton, valiant etc] installed within £2300 using your local certified engineer - and in the current climate you will get a good price. Leave it another month and prices will SOAR as demand grows in winter for these obviously

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
    Ring approved plumbers and start a bidding war.

Heating Engineers. IPHE approved members.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X