• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "1984 - The Labour handbook"

Collapse

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Anybody fancy a walk on 5 November?

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    And how would the gov track voice over IP 3G mobile like wot I got?
    They'd sniff your packets. Fnarrr

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    I think Jacqui Smith must read that book every night, furiously scribbling notes.

It's incredible how NewLie are destroying our freedoms.
    42 day detention (luckily rejected), retrospective taxation, ID cards, monitoring of emails, indiscriminate shooting of innocents such as Jean Charles De Menezes, snooping in our rubbish bins. And all under the guise of "fighting terrorism". Whatever next?

There was a time in the 1980's when the govt. were answerable to the people. I do believe the Tories were in power then. People were encouraged to think for themselves and take control of their lives.
    Now the people are servants of the state and nanny Brown keeps us in check in case we should have ideas above our station.
    If you think it was the 1980s when the government were answerable to the people, you probably believe in Santa Claus too. Oh ....

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    And how would the gov track voice over IP 3G mobile like wot I got?

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Originally posted by zathras View Post
    Message to Gordon: 1984 was a novel, not a manual
    I think Jacqui Smith must read that book every night, furiously scribbling notes.

It's incredible how NewLie are destroying our freedoms.
    42 day detention (luckily rejected), retrospective taxation, ID cards, monitoring of emails, indiscriminate shooting of innocents such as Jean Charles De Menezes, snooping in our rubbish bins. And all under the guise of "fighting terrorism". Whatever next?

There was a time in the 1980's when the govt. were answerable to the people. I do believe the Tories were in power then. People were encouraged to think for themselves and take control of their lives.
    Now the people are servants of the state and nanny Brown keeps us in check in case we should have ideas above our station.
    Last edited by SantaClaus; 20 October 2008, 20:39.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    Makes me absolutely fckin furious.

I now hardly anyone who's happy with this level of surveillance of their lives, no matter what banner they try to push it through on. WTF was the vote or debate on this with the public at large?

Yet they're happy to avoid us scrutinizing their fcking expenses. Scumbags the lot of them.
    I completely agree, however, there are always a few "have you got something to hide?" wonks lurking.

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    I had to show a passport when I bought a 'pay as you go' phone in Frankfurt in 2003. I saw no problem with this personally, as it was designed to stop criminality.
    This is because you are happy with the German (and to be fair most of the rest of Europe) attitude to law and citizens which unlike our common law "innocent until proven guilty" approach, they are happy to have the government tell them what they are allowed to do, rather than assuming basic freedoms and the idea that governments won't go poking their noses into stuff that doesn't concern them as we've always (until recently) been used to in the UK.

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    They have had to prove ID in Oz for years.
    WTF (aside from it being factually inaccurate) sort of argument is that? They eat dogs in some countries, are you saying it'd be OK to do that here?

There's a fundamental difference of opinion here between those of us who still think the job of the Police and courts is to investigate crimes and build cases against criminals (thereby only involving people suspected of wrongdoing), and those who think all law enforcement should be done by an automated trawl through databases to find stuff that looks dodgy where everyone is a suspect and may be required to prove otherwise at any time.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    I love the phrase "paraphernalia of paranoia". That could catch on.
    It sounds like a Boy George song. Or maybe I'm thinking of Chameleons.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Even the outgoing DPP thinks that nuLieBore are Nazi's.

Telegraph: Centuries of British freedoms being 'broken' by security state, says Sir Ken Macdonald

In his wide-ranging speech, Sir Ken appeared to condemn a series of key Government policies, attacking terrorism proposals - including 42 day detention - identity card plans and the “paraphernalia of paranoia”.

Instead, he said, the Government should insist that “our rights are priceless” and that: “The best way to face down those threats is to strengthen our institutions rather than to degrade them.”
    I love the phrase "paraphernalia of paranoia". That could catch on.

Leave a comment:

• zathras
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    No but Cyberman has
    Should n't that be warped reality?

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    Have I entered an alternative reality?

No but Cyberman has

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post

No. I just landed a job with the New New Lie spin machine.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    The Tories would cut services, increase taxes, increase crime, increase immigration etc. I'll stick with the devil I know thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Do you know it would be any different? Are you 100% it would be no different?

What if it might be 50% different, and different can't possibly be any worse for you and your family?

Isn't worth voting Conservative even if you can hadly see it being any different as long as you can't see it being any worse?

The Tories would cut services, increase taxes, increase crime, increase immigration etc. I'll stick with the devil I know thanks.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I don't see that the tories would be any different.
    Do you know it would be any different? Are you 100% it would be no different?

What if it might be 50% different, and different can't possibly be any worse for you and your family?

Isn't worth voting Conservative even if you can hadly see it being any different as long as you can't see it being any worse?

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by blacjac View Post
    What if you don't have a pssport?
    Are you then not allowed a phone?
    Water boarding and cattle prod up the old brown eye?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X