• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

1984 - The Labour handbook

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    I had to show a passport when I bought a 'pay as you go' phone in Frankfurt in 2003. I saw no problem with this personally, as it was designed to stop criminality.
    I hadn't realized your avatar was, in fact, your passport photo.

Comment

I had to show a passport when I bought a 'pay as you go' phone in Frankfurt in 2003. I saw no problem with this personally, as it was designed to stop criminality.
      Yes, but the Germans don't monitor every phone call you make on said phone do they?
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Yes, I'm sure the criminals were totally screwed by this. Oh no, we can't be criminals anymore! Let's all retrain as Human Rights Lawyers. Hang on, same thing!

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
          Passports will be needed to buy mobile phones

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle4969312.ece

" Everyone who buys a mobile telephone will be forced to register their identity on a national database under government plans to extend massively the powers of state surveillance.

Phone buyers would have to present a passport or other official form of identification at the point of purchase. Privacy campaigners fear it marks the latest government move to create a surveillance society.

A compulsory national register for the owners of all 72m mobile phones in Britain would be part of a much bigger database to combat terrorism and crime. Whitehall officials have raised the idea of a register containing the names and addresses of everyone who buys a phone in recent talks with Vodafone and other telephone companies, insiders say.
          ..............."

I liked this comment:

everyone just swap phones .

Benzo, Nr Chelmsford,

Benzo, benzo, benzo
          Message to Gordon: 1984 was a novel, not a manual

Comment

That's how the Gestapo would look at it.
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
              I was talking to an Aussie barmaid about that last nigh. “That’s creepy”, was her first response. The reason why I asked her, and she confirmed it, was to check on the secondary market in pre-paid phones: as someone leaves they pass/sell the phone on to a new arrival.
              They have had to prove ID in Oz for years.

Comment

designed to:
                1. snoop on you
                2. collect marketing information to sell to the highest bidder
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

More blatant advertising of shoddily designed wares...

http://www.cafepress.com/CUKKERS

I might spend some more time making these look less amateurish when I'm not at work...
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
                    Sorry, I should have given more detail of the conversation. It included the plans to record the details of all calls etc. That's the bit she thought 'Creepy'.
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
                      What for sim cards/phones etc?

Not the last two times I've been there and bought them I haven't.
                      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Working...
                      X