• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contracting out of S2P"

Collapse

• xoggoth
    replied
    I know various people who seem to have managed it. All of them ex public sector! NHS managers etc. What is the deficit in public sector pensions now? 860 Billion is it or was that last week's deficit?

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    "the general idea was to retire and be able to live you needed to have a pension of at least 500k. The amount you have to save to get that is silly!",

I would imagine you have to save 500k ?

Give or take a bit of interest.

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    I was a permie for Bank of America about 6 years ago, and went to a pensions meeting, the general idea was to retire and be able to live you needed to have a pension of at least 500k. The amount you have to save to get that is silly!

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes
    ahh another one planning to retire to Central Europe.

where will you be ?

look me up I'll buy you a beer, you deserve it after putting up with me all this time

Milan.
    I like Vilnius (I know it's not that close but I said closer, not close). Have to hope that the prices will not go up crazy as they did in the last few years.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    ahh another one planning to retire to Central Europe.

where will you be ?

look me up I'll buy you a beer, you deserve it after putting up with me all this time

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    looking at the bigger picture, considering the cost of living and household expenses, mortgage, car, food, going out it is difficult to see how anybody in the Saaafff East with a combined income of less than 150k a year can make anything more than a dent in the kind of financial provision which needs to be made for a comfortable retirment from 50 to 55

Milan.
    Retiring in Laaandaaan??? Now, that's really insane. Naa naa, I will be closer to your Czech Republic and perhaps might be visiting you in a weekend (don't worry, drinks on me ).

Or else... back to sunny Italy....

Regarding .Net.... still miss 4 exams for my MCSD.... will see..... .NET is the future, as you well know

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    me too, I'd rather be responsible for my financial failures than some lying cheating IFA !
    You forgot "incompetent".

Just as managed ISA funds don't perform any better than trackers, IFAs cannot tell what pensions are going to be good investments down the line.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    "and now prefer to invest privately for my future",

me too, I'd rather be responsible for my financial failures
    than some lying cheating IFA !

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• The Late, Great JC
    replied
    very good contribution Late Great JC.

Please do try to stay on topic.

What's your take on this when to retire and
    how much do we need thang ?

Milan.
    I recently contracted back into SERPS and now prefer to invest privately for my future. Plus, being "The Son of God" has its compensations...

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    very good contribution Late Great JC.

Please do try to stay on topic.

What's your take on this when to retire and
    how much do we need thang ?

Milan.
    Last edited by milanbenes; 12 September 2005, 08:47.

Leave a comment:

• The Late, Great JC
    replied
    of course if you want to retire(*) at forty you'll have to be doing .Net on the NHS <TOOT<TOOT> gravy train like me and DimPrawn.

(*) retirement meaning having the choice to work or not and to choose what work

Milan.
    MB, has anyone ever told you that you're a Wanker?

If not, then may I be the first?

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    of course if you want to retire(*) at forty you'll have to be doing .Net on the NHS <TOOT<TOOT> gravy train like me and DimPrawn.

(*) retirement meaning having the choice to work or not and to choose what work

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• The Late, Great JC
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    55? 55? I'll working to 78 like my poor old grandad...

He only retired because of Alzheimer's.

(Particlularly nasty in the Giant Alien Lizard by the way).
    You lot ( ) would survive a lot longer if you didn't eat the brains of your dead relatives.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    looking at the bigger picture, considering the cost of living and household expenses, mortgage, car, food, going out it is difficult to see how anybody in the Saaafff East with a combined income of less than 150k a year can make anything more than a dent in the kind of financial provision which needs to be made for a comfortable retirment from 50 to 55

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• The Late, Great JC
    replied
    Or... form your own religion...

Blessed are the long haired workshy hippies - please give generously.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X