• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Who is buying all the shares?"

Collapse

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    You case is thrown out at half time as it's unproven.
    That's a dirty trick and I protest!

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
    I rest my case.
    You case is thrown out at half time as it's unproven.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    Your analogy fails as we all know horse-racing is fixed

My point(s) is(are),

You make your gambles low risk by doing your research.
    You make lots of gambles at a low value so up to 30-40% of them failing won't cause you to lose overall.

It's not a system, it's common sense. And there are people who make a living from both horses and the stock market.
    I rest my case.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Silly jibe? Well, sort of. But, my POV is that it IS gambling and the idea that "lots of gambles to mitigate that risk" sounds just like a horse racing punter who thinks that there's a System nobody else knows about, or that gambling is, in essence, always going to earn for you in the end. It ain't so.
    Your analogy fails as we all know horse-racing is fixed

My point(s) is(are),

You make your gambles low risk by doing your research.
    You make lots of gambles at a low value so up to 30-40% of them failing won't cause you to lose overall.

It's not a system, it's common sense. And there are people who make a living from both horses and the stock market.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    Not very "compulsive" behaviour is it? Silly jibe.
    Silly jibe? Well, sort of. But, my POV is that it IS gambling and the idea that "lots of gambles to mitigate that risk" sounds just like a horse racing punter who thinks that there's a System nobody else knows about, or that gambling is, in essence, always going to earn for you in the end. It ain't so.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Because you said, "but that's why you have lots of gambles to mitigate that risk."
    Not very "compulsive" behaviour is it? Silly jibe.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    Why?
    Because you said, "but that's why you have lots of gambles to mitigate that risk."

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Can I nominate this for next week's "Out of Thin Air (TM) Village Idiot of the Week competition"?

Anyway, what happens to shares if I sell and nobody immediately wants to buy them? Or do they sit around unsold until someone does?
    That is exactly what happens. In practice, you'll almost always find a buyer, it just might take some time...

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    You shouldn't be buying shares if you don't understand the function of a Market maker.
    Can I nominate this for next week's "Out of Thin Air (TM) Village Idiot of the Week competition"?

Anyway, what happens to shares if I sell and nobody immediately wants to buy them? Or do they sit around unsold until someone does?

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Have you considered Gamblers Anonymous?
    Why?

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Why are you so agressive? Sexual frustration?

He asked "who buys all the shares?" Not is the stock market a gamble.

Now go and have a pot noodle and come back when you can be civil.
    Touched a nerve, did I? Sorry old chap. Never mind.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    I've bought some today

I sold up at FTSE 6300ish and vowed to buy back in at sub 4000.

Time will tell if I'm a fool or a genius

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    NO!!! NO!!! NO!!! It's ALWAYS a gamble. It is NOT a science or anything like that. Have recent events & past events (Polly Peck et al) not taught you anything?

Yes, it's always a gamble. Banks have kept a lot of stuff hidden of Balance Sheet and thus the current mess, as has GB with with PFI. Some people never learn...... SMUG

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    Well, there's good and bad gambles aren't there?

There's always the chance of a good gamble turning bad, but that's why you have lots of gambles to mitigate that risk.
    Have you considered Gamblers Anonymous?

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Utter toss! It's gambling - that's all! You place your bet, like a gambler does, only instead of Top Tips gleaned over a pint down the local, you instead believe any old toot you read on internet forums. And, instead of the Racing Post, you read the FT. Then you lose the lot owing to "unforeseeable factors".

Why are you so agressive? Sexual frustration?

He asked "who buys all the shares?" Not is the stock market a gamble.

Now go and have a pot noodle and come back when you can be civil.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X