• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Iceland renegues

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Iceland renegues"

Collapse

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Isn't that because refusing to trade with a country is just as much a punishment for you as for them?
    From what little I know of the Icelandic folk, the only UK industries likely to suffer would be Ace lager (15%) brewers.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB View Post
    Agrred, but we seem to have a notoriously short memory when it comes to this sort of thing. Seemed to forget about the Russian defaults pretty quickly.
    Isn't that because refusing to trade with a country is just as much a punishment for you as for them?

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    After defaulting they will get so much grief over the next few years that they will wish that they had been nuked.

It was a very silly move
    Maybe not. For all I know, the Iceland government may have seriously disliked the banks running high-interest accounts for several times the nation's GDP, since it has risks to the country as a whole and the maneouvering room of the government in particular.

Defaulting on foreigners' savings should put paid to that for the foreseeable future.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    After defaulting they will get so much grief over the next few years that they will wish that they had been nuked.

It was a very silly move
    Agrred, but we seem to have a notoriously short memory when it comes to this sort of thing. Seemed to forget about the Russian defaults pretty quickly. Though in recent days it looks like we might have remembered.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
    Nuke the scurvy toerags; it's the only language they understand, etc.

It was a very silly move

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
    No need, it'll just defrost in a few years time.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by interested View Post
    Not any more there isn't - the US closed it 2 years ago and the Icelanders were a bit miffed at the sudden exit of the Americans. I think the Iceland govt is trying to play the US off against the Russians by letting it appear that they might give the Russians access to the base in exchange for the loan. The US will probably panic and lend them the money.

A dangerous game to play.

Leave a comment:

• interested
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    There's a big US base on Iceland. I wonder what they're up to at the moment...
    Not any more there isn't - the US closed it 2 years ago and the Icelanders were a bit miffed at the sudden exit of the Americans. I think the Iceland govt is trying to play the US off against the Russians by letting it appear that they might give the Russians access to the base in exchange for the loan. The US will probably panic and lend them the money.

A dangerous game to play.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Boycot them and shop at Aldi and Lidl instead.
    Joking aside, Iceland (the shop) is part owned by some Icelandic outfit innit?

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Boycot them and shop at Aldi and Lidl instead.

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    Iceland doesn't want to be in the EU.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    I want to know when we're going to deport Björk.

Nothing to do with the financial situation, like. I just want to know when we're going to deport Björk.
    Me too - awful screeching harridan argghhhh.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    I want to know when we're going to deport Björk.

Nothing to do with the financial situation, like. I just want to know when we're going to deport Björk.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Advocate View Post
    Can't we "repossess" their island, not a military action purely a business/civil dispute?

There's a big US base on Iceland. I wonder what they're up to at the moment...

Leave a comment:

• Advocate
    replied
    Can't we "repossess" their island, not a military action purely a business/civil dispute?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X