• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "dealing with hostile permies?"

Collapse

• cupidstunt
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    The trouble is they only ever see the bottom line and never consider the considerable costs in terms of travel training and bench time that we have to take into consideration let alone the risks.
    All my travel costs are paid for by my clients. I haven't been on a training course in over 5 years but have had no unwanted bench time

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    What they don't appreciate is that whilst they're only getting a 2% pay rise contractors are suffering 30% drops in rate, I was talking to one permy who thought that was just as we've always earnt more than them.

The trouble is they only ever see the bottom line and never consider the considerable costs in terms of travel training and bench time that we have to take into consideration let alone the risks.

It makes me laugh when their excuse to stay permie is the mortgage, whilst they're earning just enough to keep a roof over their heads for the next 25 years they could have it paid off in 5.

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    Who despise their jobs, their destinies
    Being a contractor doesn't save you from despising your job, but it does give you greater freedom to sort it out, walk away, etc without any financial hardships. And if you do happen to be doing something you ahate, you may as well get as much money for doing so as possible.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Its partly something to do with permies feeling that they have somehow failed in life and they want you to attain the same level of failure by ultimately ousting you, whereas in reality you haven't 'really' done that much better than them.

Very astute observation - as Robert Zimmerman said

While one who sings with his tongue on fire
    Gargles in the rat race choir
    Bent out of shape from society's pliers
    Cares not to come up any higher
    But rather get you down in the hole
    That he's in.

And from the same ditty

For them that must obey authority
    That they do not respect in any degree
    Who despise their jobs, their destinies
    Speak jealously of them that are free
    Cultivate their flowers to be
    Nothing more than something
    They invest in.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    "I would, but I have a mortgage to pay".

One permie I worked with who said that was being made redundant, so really he had nothing to lose by trying to get a contract instead of a permie job. He'd had done better than me to be honest, because he had a wider more in demand skillset, but he wouldn't listen and just went for permie roles.
    I know somebody who did exactly the same. Got a package of 30K and went off looking for a permie role immediately. In the 10 years I've known them, they've alway said 'I could go contracting'. But didnt!

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    That normally resides in some old crap about having the skills, but having a family/resposibilities and needing to know where their money is coming from each month.
    "I would, but I have a mortgage to pay".

One permie I worked with who said that was being made redundant, so really he had nothing to lose by trying to get a contract instead of a permie job. He'd had done better than me to be honest, because he had a wider more in demand skillset, but he wouldn't listen and just went for permie roles.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Remember it is best to always tell them to go contracting if they have the

a) Skills
    b) Commitment
    c) Work Ethic
    d) Balls

That normally resides in some old crap about having the skills, but having a family/resposibilities and needing to know where their money is coming from each month.

That normally shuts them up.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    The downside will be more contractors in the market
    Won't most end up as permies elsewhere? Plus you'll still be more experienced.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
    are you fearful of bitter permies?

No, I pity da fools.

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    Wow ... some really aggresive people on here.
    I generally just ignore them, and spend more time schmoozing with the people that matter in the organisation.

Leave a comment:

• TheVoice
    replied
    I usually either ignore the feckwits, or, if they really p*ss me off take them aside in a public place at the client site & loudly ask them, in terms unmistakable as robust, what the hell their problem is.

Best way to look at it is:- I'm not here to make friends, I'm here to make money. Do whatever you think needs doing, take the cash & if you come out of it with some friends or good associations, great - if not, don't cry over it.

Remember that Permies are people who don't realise they have a life of their own & are willing to be enslaved to a company for a pittance.

Someone on these boards has a great sig to remember too:-
    We're not just doing this for money, we're doing this for sh*t loads of money

Chin up!

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Tell them you just contract 'cos it pays twice as much and encourage them to quit in search of a new contracting career. More chance of an extension for you when they leave...
    The downside will be more contractors in the market

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Tell them you just contract 'cos it pays twice as much and encourage them to quit in search of a new contracting career. More chance of an extension for you when they leave...

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Go on the offensive.
    An old friend changed his sounds on windows opening to go kerrching. He replied with the same word every time somebody had a pop at him. He once told a permie he was only jealous because he (the contractor) earned more going for a tulip than he (the permie) earned all day. Permie was stunned into never having a pop again.

Leave a comment:

• eliquant
    replied
    The best way to deal with it is to simply ignore it.

I get it in varying degrees from different types of people at different sites, usually the ones with no power do it when the boss is not within earshot.

Its partly something to do with permies feeling that they have somehow failed in life and they want you to attain the same level of failure by ultimately ousting you, whereas in reality you haven't 'really' done that much better than them.

Someone once said to me "People don't like knowing that you are doing better than them", I agree there is alot of petiness.

I personally don't care whether someone is earning 1 million quid per year or 25K, I don't look down on them or resent them being there earning that level of money.

Unfortunately the small minded and the anxiety ridden are about in the office.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X