• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Shock! Horror! The Dark Side awaits..."

Collapse

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    Yes I think it'll get tough and there may or may not be a small window to dive into permiedom before it's a tulip fight for anything and everything. One problem is you are probably only marginally safer as a permie, if it is an organisation you know then you can make an educated call but I'd still be wary. You may be better off dropping your rate and trying to cling on that way. My current and previous client have both been sacking permies but no contractors as yet ( ie. the tulip still needs shovelling ).

Aye

There is only one problem with the rat-race - even if you win - you're still a Rat.

Euro-Contractors may find they will be the first out as its very expensive to get rid of Euro-Permies.

Thats show-bizz folks ...

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    Yes I think it'll get tough and there may or may not be a small window to dive into permiedom before it's a tulip fight for anything and everything. One problem is you are probably only marginally safer as a permie, if it is an organisation you know then you can make an educated call but I'd still be wary. You may be better off dropping your rate and trying to cling on that way. My current and previous client have both been sacking permies but no contractors as yet ( ie. the tulip still needs shovelling ).
    Know them well and they have sacked a shedload of permies in the last 12 months, and half the contractors.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    General consensus please... do you think it'll really get that rough over the next few months in the contractor market? Anyone else seeing the signs of a turbulent time starting? What sectors are starting to look bleak, if any?

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    See my PM... not the most troubled bank in the world.
    Agreed and I've replied.

Same goes for my bank, but 'tis getting worse.

Maybe I'm just in a negative mood today!

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
    Banking is looking rough, haven't you heard?!
    See my PM... not the most troubled bank in the world.

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    General consensus please... do you think it'll really get that rough over the next few months in the contractor market? Anyone else seeing the signs of a turbulent time starting? What sectors are starting to look bleak, if any?
    Banking is looking rough, haven't you heard?!

Whilst the thought of going permie fills me with dread, it might not be the worst idea at the moment. I'd give it some serious thought as going back into the market and looking for a new contract is not something I fancy at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Even if you take the job you can still come back from the Dark Side Luke. There might not be many offers in a few months, and several months on the bench looks worse than several months as a permie.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    Ummm...you flipped burgers before?
    Yep. And it's better than the soul destroying, mind numbingness of permie-slavedom with appraisals and performance reviews. Subject to having enough cash in the bank that the minimum wage isn't an issue.

And so long as you're not forced to eat them.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Even if you take the job you can still come back from the Dark Side Luke. There might not be many offers in a few months, and several months on the bench looks worse than several months as a permie.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    No way, no how. I'd rather flip burgers than work permie in any IT organisation.
    Ummm...you flipped burgers before?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    <wilmslow mode (my sincere apologies for this)>
    I've been given an offer that would mean same basic net income as contracting plus great bonus, benefits etc, and only 1 month notice period.

Brilliant offer really - but if I refuse it's been made clear that my contractor days are numbered (max 3 months) here as they want this role to be permie, with or without me.

Gone out to market but it's shockingly quieter than usual.

Horrible dilemma. Common sense says get another contract if possible, if nothing obvious comes up - take bird in hand rather than risking finding a contract around the end of December. Other people I know (Including contractors) say I'd be mad not to take the offer and ride this (supposedly) rough time out in safety.

Hate the idea of going permie. Really makes my skin crawl. Have been a contractor for the last 9 years - can't remember what being permie is like. Eugh.
    </wilmslow mode>
    <<<canned laughter>>>

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    No way, no how. I'd rather flip burgers than work permie in any IT organisation.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    <wilmslow mode (my sincere apologies for this)>
    I've been given an offer that would mean same basic net income as contracting plus great bonus, benefits etc, and only 1 month notice period.

Brilliant offer really - but if I refuse it's been made clear that my contractor days are numbered (max 3 months) here as they want this role to be permie, with or without me.

Gone out to market but it's shockingly quieter than usual.

Horrible dilemma. Common sense says get another contract if possible, if nothing obvious comes up - take bird in hand rather than risking finding a contract around the end of December. Other people I know (Including contractors) say I'd be mad not to take the offer and ride this (supposedly) rough time out in safety.

Hate the idea of going permie. Really makes my skin crawl. Have been a contractor for the last 9 years - can't remember what being permie is like. Eugh.
    </wilmslow mode>

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    There are some honest agents out there (if that's not an Oxy-Moron). however, it doesn't take much research to test if they are telling the truth, unfortunately he is. It's bleak!
    I would agree that it is bleak. When I advertised my own position so I could use my ROS I got tons of applicants, most of whom could have done the job with their eyes closed.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Hmmm. If an agent said it, it must be right. Not that he would have an ulterior motive for suggesting that there are too many applicants?
    There are some honest agents out there (if that's not an Oxy-Moron). however, it doesn't take much research to test if they are telling the truth, unfortunately he is. It's bleak!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X