• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "When are most banks going to be nationalised?"

Collapse

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Possibly. Do you feel lucky?
    It's all a gamble.
    I know A lot of shares are now looking good and I've been waiting for this moment but having 35K missing in Icesave land is not good for the nerves.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    RBS worth a punt at 78p ?

I'm assuming I'll get my Icesave money back and I'm feeling lucky

The banks were up when I first looked this morning. Any idea what the wonder deal actually means ?
    Perhaps this may help -

Yesterday (Monday), the spread between Overnight Indexed Swaps (OIS) and the three-month LIBOR rose to an all time high of 2.94%. The LIBOR/OIS spread measures the amount of cash available for interbank lending and is used by banks to determine interest rates.

The wider the spread, the less cash there is to go around. This is telling us that banks, despite billions of central-bank support in recent months, are still cash-strapped and are disinclined to lend money either to each other or to consumers.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied

The banks were up when I first looked this morning. Any idea what the wonder deal actually means ?
    Possibly. Do you feel lucky?
    It's all a gamble.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Ah looks like it's today

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    But will the nationalisation guarantee that depositors money is safe? And, if so, will they all offer the same rate of interest?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    How does this work when big banks are operating through the world? Or is this discussion limited to UK-only banks & building societies?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Ah looks like it's today

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    Ahh so pure speculation and guesswork at this stage then.
    You're talking about the cornerstones of western capitalism there!

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    looking likely

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Stories and rumours started to come out last week that the big UK banks will possibly maybe all have to effectively nationalised. At the rate things are progressing who knows

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Seriously? Is there some inside info I am missing?
    Stories and rumours started to come out last week that the big UK banks will possibly maybe all have to effectively nationalised. At the rate things are progressing who knows

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    They may end up with large government holdings, but which government?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    It was the ultimate solution to the Japanese and Scandinavian crises in the last decade.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    All will

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    In the UK? Most won't be nationalised.
    All will

Leave a comment:

Working...
X