• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Job market

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Job market"

Collapse

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    What's his price for Bliar & Brown?

Discount for quantity?
    Lets not haggle about the cost...speed is of the essence

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    I've been reading this thread with much interest, because I seem to have fallen foul of several of the problems mentioned here - mostly those revolving around complacency and the resulting stagnation of skills, leading either to a flooded market full of people who are willing to work for less than you, or (worse still) the phasing out of the product you've developed expertise in.

The general concensus seems to be to get experience in a more modern skill that reflects your current career direction (i.e. Notes -> Exchange, ASP -> ASP.NET and so on).

But how the hell do you go about this - short of returning to perm and starting right at the bottom of the ladder on <20k alongside a load of graduates?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by bobhope
    What's he doing then?
    Hit man for the Kremlin, apparently ....
    He's outside IR35.

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg
    Mate has just scored 800 a day + expenses for his first contract, expected minimum 12 months. That would keep the fridge stocked...

What's he doing then?

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    Would that be milan?

I thought he was a bit quiet lately.
    he didn't say 5 euros an hour and all the burgers you can eat.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg
    Mate has just scored 800 a day + expenses for his first contract, expected minimum 12 months. That would keep the fridge stocked...
    Would that be milan?

I thought he was a bit quiet lately.

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by notescontractor
    What's the job market like at present? I have been in a contract for the last 3 years and have been receiving several agency calls a month for this time, however it's all gone dead recently.
    Happened to me a few years ago. My advice is to stay contracting, but don't stay at the same client for that length of time. It drops you out of circulation, and makes your recent CV look one-dimensional.

I try to move around more now, which not only adds variety (and more blue-chips) to the CV, but also exposes me to loads of new skills and knowledge. And it keeps you on your toes.

Leave a comment:

• sappatz
    replied
    truth

the truth is, they replaced IT contractors with IT indian bods working for slavery wages in many places (they are frequently below the absolute minimum wage with unpaid overtime on weekends, they dont pay social security also). i have seen the numbers, pretty amazing. sometimes this truth emerges from the surface and even lead to small political scandals in various european countries.

also many of those inefficient |@^!# large consultancies have contractor-unfriendly policies in many places (contractor are only hired in exceptional circumstances) while they grab the largest share of the market (often with PSLs)

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Notes is dead

I loved notes when I first saw it, did loads of Lotuscript, hung out at the watercooler etc. But they didn't move it forward and the user interface was rubbish.

Now most fortune 500 use Exchange, sharepoint 2007 is now a reasonable Notes app replacement, migration is point and click or script and tea, so expect a lot of migrations late 2007.

Get yourself some real experience with Exchange & Sharepoint, take a pay cut and get on a migration. Your expertise with Notes apps may get you in.

Sorry M$ are very good at what they do!

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru
    Aye. That's why he became a poorly-paid permie. Just couldn't hack it...
    I left that contract actually because the permie job would pay more. Ironically.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko
    Would you consider it permie with no security, no holidays, no training, no benefits, no bonus involved?
    Yes. Permie without the benefits.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123
    And if you're spending any of your time worrying about "if I make a huge **** up I will get canned" then you aren't good enough at your job to be a contractor.

tim
    And don't forget also that driving when using your mobile without a hands free set is highly dangerous.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123
    And if you're spending any of your time worrying about "if I make a huge **** up I will get canned" then you aren't good enough at your job to be a contractor.

tim
    Aye. That's why he became a poorly-paid permie. Just couldn't hack it...

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko
    Would you consider it permie with no security, no holidays, no training, no benefits, no bonus involved? To me it's the same to have 10 contracts of one year each or 1 of 10 years. 9-5, if that's what they require so be it. When I was contracting for a big dutch bank many people used to be there for 5 years and longer. However, one serious mistake and you are off the door the same day. Permies could **** up as much as they like, they would be kept in anyway.
    But you're being paid twice as much. Some of this extra is to cover the periods of not working, but if there are no periods of not working.....

It is quite common for cons to get training, not "sent away on a jolly" training, but the much more useful, "do something that you haven't done before" training.

tim

Leave a comment:

Working...
X