• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Who is turning to a permie role"

Collapse

• mailric
    replied
    Originally posted by YHB View Post
    The sooner you lot disappear off to permiedom the better for us hardcore contractors
    ill second that

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by YHB View Post
    The sooner you lot disappear off to permiedom the better for us hardcore contractors
    I expect to be back whoring in about 18 months - permie = long gig, as far as I'm concerned.

Leave a comment:

• YHB
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
    I went permie a few weeks back - love it! Paid rain, hail or shine and the work's a doddle. Salary is tasty, as are the perks. Lovely!

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    I am currently a contract PM in the banking sector and have been offered the role on a permanent basis, otherwise it will be advertised internally. Should I take first refusal or continue as a contractor and look elsewhere when replaced ?

Leave a comment:

• HermanDune
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    What do you do?
    Originally I was a service desk analyst. Then I moved to being a project co-ordinator. Now I'm a business manager, although the job I went for was project controller.

Leave a comment:

• El_Diablo
    replied
    Originally posted by HermanDune View Post
    I have been even cheaper...£11.42 when I started in May 2007! I was very naive!
    Indeed you were.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    What do you do?

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    ClientCo's offered me a permie role twice. Didn't even ask what they were paying, all it took was seeing the permies ask me for nice feedback and troop off to their quarterly reviews to convince me!

Leave a comment:

• HermanDune
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Hey, I thought I was the only one working that cheaply! Well, some stuff I do at £30-35 but my main project is £25.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I am currently contracting for £26 an hour.
    Hey, I thought I was the only one working that cheaply! Well, some stuff I do at £30-35 but my main project is £25.

Leave a comment:

• HermanDune
    replied
    I am currently contracting for £26 an hour but may consider a permie job for £35k at the same place when this gig ends.

All I want is some training and development, and a place to hide in case the crunch is prolonged.

Leave a comment:

• wantacontract
    replied
    Update:

Unsuccessful at interview, at least he told me at the end...

interview went like this...

Interviewer - i am looking for someone to manage xyz stuff...
    Me - Erm, it says I've done abc on my cv....
    interview- thats ok, you don't need to know it, just project manage
    me - exactly, project manager manage...

cue questions along prince2 and project management etc.....

ends on

Interviewer - sorry, you havn't got the job as you've not done xyz before

me - so why did you call me for an interview...

interview - i like a chat i do....

WTF

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by Ivor Bigun View Post
    Went permie this year. Pleased I did 'cos money ain't bad, work is a doddle and it "should" be safe for 3 years or so.

Not really bothered about the macho "I'm always a contractor" thingy.
    This decision was based entirely on wanting to be at home for the next few years.

Will miss the illusionary "Master of Destiny" thing though.
    Contractor board probably not the best place to admit it but I can empathise with those sentiments for sure.

Leave a comment:

• Ivor Bigun
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    Combination of a load of things, some of them personal/lifestyle related which I won't get into. .
    Went permie this year. Pleased I did 'cos money ain't bad, work is a doddle and it "should" be safe for 3 years or so.

The Permie mind set is a trap though - I can feel myself wanting a "nice new motor on HP

Not really bothered about the macho "I'm always a contractor" thingy.
    This decision was based entirely on wanting to be at home for the next few years.
    Anyway, I doubt if contracting will ever pick up again to the heights it once was.
    My best rates were in the late 90s. Since then, contractor pay has slumped to a third of what it used to be. The "extra" mullah at the end of the year in't worth the agro.
    Will miss the illusionary "Master of Destiny" thing though.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by MikeB View Post
    what made you go permie oracleslave, have you noticed a big change in the market? I haven't been keeping too close an eye, but my feeling was the Oracle market was still decent, with rates slightly lower.
    Combination of a load of things, some of them personal/lifestyle related which I won't get into. From a work perspective:

Am tired of doing delivery work myself. It now bores me. The permanent move was a chance to manage a delivery team so saw in it a good opportunity for me.

Rates wise I was on my best ever for a 3 month contract before going permie so I think they are holding up. I do think there are a lot less contracts out there though so those contractors that are half decent should be fine. Some of the not so good or experienced ones I think might struggle for the next little while.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X