• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Oh Dear™ - Mortgage lending in August"

Collapse

• Another Dodgy Agent
    replied
    Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
    I remortgaged and was told I could have 4 times what I wanted to borrow.

I think the press are scaring the public into not trying.
    Likewise, both myself and a number of colleagues have remortgaged recently with absolutely no problem and I am still getting the likes of HBOS ringing up trying to get me to take on a credit card with "super low rates" etc.

Whilst clearly their is a problem in the markets, I think the media love to hype up situations, after all bad news sells.

What I want to know is, what happened to:

Whales
    Dolphins stuck in fishing nets
    Bird flu pandemic
    starving african children
    AIDS plague
    global warming
    nuclear disarmanent
    natural fish stock depletion
    mad cow disease
    cloning dinosaurs
    panda's not mating

A couple of IB's go down and all the rest of the world's ills get pushed aside! Ruddy media!

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post

You are right. Nobody's going to borrow at the moment to buy when they are being told that houise prices will be 50% of what they are now in a year's time. We are now at serious risk of deflation because we are talking ourselves into that scenario where everybody is looking for the good deal months into the future and not spending with the corresponding knock-on effects on jobs, businesses going bust etc.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Dick Ramsbottom, Rayleigh says...
    7:07pm Thu 25 Sep 08
    Yes - he may be 30 and own a Lamborghini Gallardo, and million pound home and plans to retire at 30 but is he happy.....
    No, he's a miserable **** and spends most nights munching pot noodles whilst crying with the shame of it all

Leave a comment:

• FarmerPalmer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Comment - "Awwww, he can't afford his place any more because of the credit crunch. And he can't sell it either. Bless!!"

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    And it won't be passed on to borrowers. You just don't get it do you. Banks as you know it are forked. They can't lend, they have nothing to lend and if they did, they'd simply be buying into falling assets.

HTH

It will eventually, but if the step of making cuts is not made then there is nothing to pass onto borrowers. Is that too difficult to understand?

At the moment we have Buy to Lets where mortgages have almost doubled recently. One guy on the radio this morning has just had the first of his eight properties repossessed and is expecting them all to go. Keeping rates at their current levels does nobody any good.... not even savers if all banks go bust.

Keeping the BofE interest rate at its current level is just plain pig-headed stupidity.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    So its not time to start buying yet?

I must put a note in my diary to buy houses - 2015?
    If you need a new car and a house, this might be for you.

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/3704...mborghini_too/

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    You've twisted it a bit, it is NET lending ! BUT we are TRIPLE UBER DOOMED on the housing front. It's going to be messy !
    So its not time to start buying yet?

I must put a note in my diary to buy houses - 2015?

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7641535.stm

Mortgage lending collapsed in August, according to the latest figures from the Bank of England.

Only £143m was lent by banks and building societies, just 5% of July's lending figure and only 2% of the lending in August 2007.

The End.
    You've twisted it a bit, it is NET lending ! BUT we are TRIPLE UBER DOOMED on the housing front. It's going to be messy !

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    -50%

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    Look at it on the bright side. We will soon see a massive cut in interest rates!!!
    And it won't be passed on to borrowers. You just don't get it do you. Banks as you know it are forked. They can't lend, they have nothing to lend and if they did, they'd simply be buying into falling assets.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    2% on last year.

2%

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Look at it on the bright side. We will soon see a massive cut in interest rates!!!

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    started a topic Oh Dear™ - Mortgage lending in August

Oh Dear™ - Mortgage lending in August

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7641535.stm

Mortgage lending collapsed in August, according to the latest figures from the Bank of England.

Only £143m was lent by banks and building societies, just 5% of July's lending figure and only 2% of the lending in August 2007.

The End.

Working...
X